No Dunkin Donuts in the Dominican Republic?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I was at a Dunkin Donuts the other day and noticed a large map on the wall with all the countries in the world where DD is present. Nearly every country in Latin America has Dunkin Donuts, but not the DR. Do Dominicans not like donuts? It seems they have just about every other American chain. They even have Denny's and Long John Silver!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was at a Dunkin Donuts the other day and noticed a large map on the wall with all the countries in the world where DD is present. Nearly every country in Latin America has Dunkin Donuts, but not the DR. Do Dominicans not like donuts? It seems they have just about every other American chain. They even have Denny's and Long John Silver!

they probably had it at one time, and now that the novelty has worn off, it is gone. i remember when you could not throw a rock without hitting a cupcake. now there is nary a muffin to be found.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I predicted there would be a Dunkin Donuts in Sosua, very soon and there would be lines out the Door , and I was Laughed at..
Whoever does it will make a Fortune..
Their Brand Recognition is Enormous..

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I just saw that Krispy Kreme is well respresented, especially in Santo Domingo. Maybe Dunkin was beaten to the market.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I predicted there would be a Dunkin Donuts in Sosua, very soon and there would be lines out the Door , and I was Laughed at..
Whoever does it will make a Fortune..
Their Brand Recognition is Enormous..

La Sirena shot that one down. you can get a decent donut there, and i am sure the prices would be lower.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
There was a DD in a mall in SD. I ordered a small coffee and it sure was small. I think it was a 2 oz. cup. I had never seen a DD cup that small. The coffee sucked. The doughnuts didn't look good enough to buy. I think DD was only there for a couple of years. Somewhere around the year 2000.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I just saw that Krispy Kreme is well respresented, especially in Santo Domingo. Maybe Dunkin was beaten to the market.

Krispy Kreme is big down south,, up here in NYC/ NE they had their ARSES handed to them,, every single one is closed.. including the one in Manhattan as far as I know.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Krispy Kreme is big down south,, up here in NYC/ NE they had their ARSES handed to them,, every single one is closed.. including the one in Manhattan as far as I know.

in NY there are too many health conscious types...guys jogging in the park, riding on bike trails, going to gyms, and eating health food. down south, it is just a bunch of lardasses eating pork rinds and fried eels, who weigh 400 pounds, and who have never been introduced to the concept of healthy eating.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
There was one many years ago on Winston Churchill or Tiradentes, can't remember which. Had breakfasts and all. Closed over 10 years ago, not enough interest at that time.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The one here in Central NJ near me ( Krispy Kreme), I watched it from the First Day it opened, to when it closed.. customers dwindling every day.. NEVER a line at the Drive through.. ..it was doomed from day 1.. Coffee always tasted Burned fro some reason. they did not receive a warm welcome up here in the NE for sure.. Almost felt Bad for them.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yep. It was in the building located at Gustavo Mejia Ricart and Tiradentes which is now a Wendys.

They built the building, and did really well in the beginning.

Unfortunately, they started slacking off on the donuts, and ended selling 2 and 3 day old donuts. Nothing like getting a donut off the rack, and it's stiff. The price didn't help either.

The also began with a large selection, and ended up with only 8 - 10 different types after a few months. You could go in and order your favorite, and there was a good chance they wouldn't have it.

All this was happening back when Hippo was president, and just about every store and business was hibernating and waiting for Hippo to finish his term.

Outback also shut down back then (for not paying taxes) and Wendy's left the island as well.

they are all fads, which come and go real fast, then Dominicans are back to eating bob bon and fried empanadas. when the clientele drops off, so does the quality. when it becomes inedible..bye bye.

i remember when a Burger King Whopper was what it said it was. huge. now the ones at the BK in POP remind me of something from a street cart. the last one i had was the last one i had. i will never eat there again. i fail to see how they remain open.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
in NY there are too many health conscious types...guys jogging in the park, riding on bike trails, going to gyms, and eating health food. down south, it is just a bunch of lardasses eating pork rinds and fried eels, who weigh 400 pounds, and who have never been introduced to the concept of healthy eating.

I'm from "down south" and would have to disagree with you.
I won't bother pointing out the stereotypical habbits all of those lazy racist *ss bums down in Jamaica are so well known for.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
There was one many years ago on Winston Churchill or Tiradentes, can't remember which. Had breakfasts and all. Closed over 10 years ago, not enough interest at that time.

I heard they were shut down because it wasn't a real Dunkin Donuts. Someone copied their signage and everything and Dunkin found out and sued them. Don't know what level of truth there is to the rumor though.

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
The one here in Central NJ near me ( Krispy Kreme), I watched it from the First Day it opened, to when it closed.. customers dwindling every day.. NEVER a line at the Drive through.. ..it was doomed from day 1.. Coffee always tasted Burned fro some reason. they did not receive a warm welcome up here in the NE for sure.. Almost felt Bad for them.

their coffee is horrible. that is the reason they fail

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm from "down south" and would have to disagree with you.
I won't bother pointing out the stereotypical habbits all of those lazy racist *ss bums down in Jamaica are so well known for.

no need to point them out. i know them already. they remind me of the lazy racist ass bums from down south.

IEatTravelnCode

Oct 29, 2014
Most of those chains were present in the island, but did not have much success since there wasn't much market at that time.
Wendys
Subway
DD
Church's Chicken

iHop food was ridiculously overpriced and did not have quality, Fudruckers is always salty. Don't know what is wrong with Carl's because they have the best BBQ Burger I've tasted in a while, maybe the location?
Wendy's is always packed, I just don't see subway having success here, I don't really know how Quiznos has survived, you wont find much Dominican willing to pay $250~ for a 'sandui'.
BK and Mc will survive for their trend of cheap burgers, they always this weird specials Burgers+Fries+Coke for ~$150

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Dunkin Donuts? Doesn't hold a candle to "Tim Horton's"... William Webster and I are going to open up a "Timmies" Tim Hortons.. Webster what do you think?...... All those Dominican Hockey Moms in the morning will surely stop by.. :eek: