Pedestal Fan ..................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I need a good, pedestal fan for a 12' x 18' room. QUIET and something that really moves the air.

Any suggestion of brand, model, and where to buy in Santo Domingo Centro.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought a great one at La Sirena - Lasko brand. Three speeds, and it reallllly cools. I think it was about 1700 pesos.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have a Universal 4 speed - very quiet and a larger KDK which is very is heavy with a powerful motor and pushes a lot of air- not as quiet as the universal but more powerful and more speeds. Both bought at Ochoa in Santiago about 5 years ago. I'm happy with both. Don't remember the price, but we also have KDK ceiling fans in the school that have been going strong for 15 plus years.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Choose one with the widest blades, they tend to be quieter.
I have given up buying the expensive ones as all of the recent seem to last about a year anyway so I get a noisy Universal for around 2K pesos and change it every year,I usually give it away.
Had two Lasko and both were killed by EDNORTE.Burnt out.

KDK are the best value locally I reckon but out of my price range. GE and Westinghouse seem to last a bit longer but along the coast nothing lasts that long.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I have had a Universal one for years, it's the only one that the Dominicans have not been allowed to touch and thus the only one that has not broken (By it's self).

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
KDK makes pedestal fans? I thought it was just ceiling fans... I have a Lasko fan too, second one in 4 years and it works A LOT. The one they have at Pola and Corripio is a really good size and easy to take apart for cleaning. Almost all plastic too so no rusting.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The best way to move air is to get a box fan for the window. A box fan pointing out of the window of a near by room, with your bedroom window open, will draw in a cool draft. Lasko has a model, as well as other brands. This has worked very well for my family.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a few lasco pedestal fans too, purchased in pricesmart. like someone said, all plastic so no rot and easy cleaning. it is quiet too. as for moving air, you'd have to sit directly in front to get the benefit of that.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hmmm, so I take it there are no oscillating pedestal fans available?

it oscillates. and has remote control, three speeds, timed power off too. i just never set it to oscillate as the air blowing in my ears bothers the hell out of me.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
no way to move a lot of air and be silent. I have had Lasko and really like them for a transportable fan. The round model floor is the best fan I have ever owned. It took my Dominicans nearly two years to destroy it. Very durable. Narrow box style fans in my hose have a lifespan of six months.

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
There's a new floor standing fan out that has a built-in ups battery. When the luz goes out your fan still runs all night. Also has a built in USB port to charge your phone.

The brand is Boston Instruments.

I have one and it's excellent.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
get a tower type fan......

all enclosed , hard to ruin.

I had a great one, the problem was the electronics in it, our wonderful electricity zapped it. Glutton for punishment that I am, I've got two more packed in a box going down this Fall. I like the tower fans because they take up less floor space and are more inconspicuous, and pack a punch with the breeze they create.

Our Lasko fan isn't electronic, no remote, etc., we have to turn the switches for power and speed - it's lasted for at least 4-5 years now. Electronic stuff doesn't do as well for us.