We are looking for teachers

equinn2823

Sep 30, 2013
We are hiring teachers at my wifes school

We are specifically looking for a Math teacher and also a language teacher, French and English.

We are located in Santo Domingo Oeste.

Please PM me if anyone knows someone qualified looking for work.

Thank you.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
What is the name of the school? I know someone who might be interested depending on grade levels taught, hours, pay etc.

Anastasia911

Sep 15, 2015
Hi,

We are the teachers. Both my husband and me we have experience and time.
Please give us more details about the school...benefits and so on.

Thanks

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I've said it many many times on DR1 but what the heck I'll say it again. I wouldn't hire anyone that can't read and follow a very simple post.

Now go back and read again. I'll help you out. The important part is to send the original poster a private message (pm) click on the name and find the "send pm" button

If you need a job you do the hunting. No one is going to chase you.

OK rant over :)

If you don't have at least 10 posts go posting till you have enough or it won't work

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
GEE AnnaC is correct.

The Op offered work;

We are hiring teachers at my wifes school

We are specifically looking for a Math teacher and also a language teacher, French and English.

We are located in Santo Domingo Oeste.

Please PM me if anyone knows someone qualified looking for work.

Thank you.

& many of you reply on this thread..errrr

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Just an observation:

Previously the pay levels in the public sector were so low that the private schools could and did get the cream of the crop among qualified teachers. From Carol Morgan down to the corner "colegio"they absorbed most teachers.

However, since recent changes have greatly increased teacher's salaries to close to living levels, the public sector has drained almost all of the qualified teachers from the private sector and many colegios are hurting for teachers.

With the extended sessions, most teachers can no longer work at more than one school like before.

Good luck with your search..

HB

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Just an observation:

Previously the pay levels in the public sector were so low that the private schools could and did get the cream of the crop among qualified teachers. From Carol Morgan down to the corner "colegio"they absorbed most teachers.

However, since recent changes have greatly increased teacher's salaries to close to living levels, the public sector has drained almost all of the qualified teachers from the private sector and many colegios are hurting for teachers.

With the extended sessions, most teachers can no longer work at more than one school like before.

Good luck with your search..

HB
This is exactly what happened at the school of my parents in law this week. One teacher (my oldest son's) applied to get in the public system long ago. She asked for the afternoon schedule. Last Friday they called her: you have been assigned (nombrado) to the morning schedule, you have to start on Monday. She asked if the could give her two weeks to finish her job at my in laws school at least a little decent. Answer: no, we expect you on Monday.

What a country...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is exactly what happened at the school of my parents in law this week. One teacher (my oldest son's) applied to get in the public system long ago. She asked for the afternoon schedule. Last Friday they called her: you have been assigned (nombrado) to the morning schedule, you have to start on Monday. She asked if the could give her two weeks to finish her job at my in laws school at least a little decent. Answer: no, we expect you on Monday.

What a country...

We have lost 6 teachers this year to the public system. Same thing, phone one day, gone the next or very soon. In a couple of cases , not a big loss, but in others definitely harder to find capable replacements. We dropped high school for this very reason. Medina wants to do away with private schools. The PLD is trying to do a slow motion, Bolivarian revolution, to the country. Dominicans are stupid enough to let it happen.
Our new policy, if you apply and pass the government exams, off you go, we don't want you anymore. The govern is in fact allowing other professions to apply and take the exams. We have had one former accountant, and one current accountant both take the tests, pass, and are now teaching math in local public high school. One, will do very well, both her parents are teachers in the public system, and they happen to be good teachers and even better people.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
This is excellent news. Paying a living wage is a big improvement for the public schools. A school is only as good as the quality of its teachers. All the rest, reputation, facility etc are window dressing. What goes on in the classroom is what its all about. Good teachers are the foundation of good schools.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This is excellent news. Paying a living wage is a big improvement for the public schools. A school is only as good as the quality of its teachers. All the rest, reputation, facility etc are window dressing. What goes on in the classroom is what its all about. Good teachers are the foundation of good schools.

You are correct except, there has been no improvement in the quality of the teachers. The same ignorant, know nothings are now just paid a lot more. Classroom management is missing.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You are correct except, there has been no improvement in the quality of the teachers. The same ignorant, know nothings are now just paid a lot more. Classroom management is missing.

Not only that, there is no curriculum that makes any sense. The books provided by editorial houses like Santillana are CRAP, it seems in DR the ministry of Education thinks that giving young children sophisticated things to learn means the level is high. Well it's not, each subject has it's particular time and should go in sync with the rest of the curriculum, plus you need teacher that 1. understand the subject themselves and 2. know how to explain it.

Besides that: learning facts from your memory is 70's education. Good teachers are not the foundation of good schools, they are only one part of a working school system, if the rest is not well thought of, good teachers can't do much.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
We have lost 6 teachers this year to the public system. Same thing, phone one day, gone the next or very soon.

if you loose qualified workers that quickly then you obviously are not compensating them enough, and finding new ones will be even harder.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
if you loose qualified workers that quickly then you obviously are not compensating them enough, and finding new ones will be even harder.

Yeah, like if it works like that.... There are private schools for many different (income) levels. A school were tuition costs 2000-3000 pesos can't be hiring teachers that earn 30-40,000 pesos, they are more likely in the 15,000 - 20,000 range. These are the teachers being targeted by the public system since last year, when salaries there went up to 30,000 to 35,000, plus pension. You can't beat that as a private school unless you raise the tuition and punish the parents of the children that are already going to your school for many years. You will have to do it gradually, lose students (probably to the same public system) and attract new students that can pay more, while you get better teachers.

I don't know about Bob's school, but my parents in law's school is focused on low-middle and middle class. And these schools are in the cross hairs of the public system.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Talking through your hat dude. Supply and demand. We get about 30-40 resumes per month from qualified ( on paper) applicants. If hired they are compensated based on a combination of their skill set, experience, and qualifications ( and they aren't paid that much less) We currently have an architect working as a teachers assistant and two psychologists working as teachers. Most of our assistants are education students, usually half way or more through their degree requirements. 90 percent of them want on the government gravy train, good wages, pension, medical, low-cost loans, and they don't have to perform very hard. All the teachers we lost, kept their children in our school, even though they now have to pay for them , instead of it being a fringe benefit. In fact we have numerous teacher and directors children attending the school.
My wife is a demanding person to work for as she doesn't accept that " no me culpa " bull**** from her teachers. Funny thing, several of the teachers that left found out that they couldn't put their mothers on their medical insurance through the public system so they asked to keep paying for them through our plan. Everything is not rosier on the government payroll. One of the teachers now working in the public system comes by every lunch hour and tells us all the horror stories of the morning.