Estates like costambar near Cabrera

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Hello
i visited Costambar recently and very much enjoyed the ambience of this small estate.

Are there any similiar estates closer to cabrera or along that part of the coast. They must be well run, with reasonable monthly fees

Please let me know the names of these estates
Id be looking to buy land in one of them
thanks
R

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Hello
i visited Costambar recently and very much enjoyed the ambience of this small estate.
R

My wife and I have lived in Costambar since 1988. From time to time we have looked for another community with the amenities offered to Costambar residents, but without the negative aspects fostered by the original legalities of its creation. We have found none. Our conclusion is that Costambar, for all its faults, is the only true community on the north coast.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabrera has one, just one gated community..... of any substance

Two , if you ratchet down a notch.

The main one is Orchid Bay.... Google
Casa Kimball, Castellamonte... to get a flavor....

Send the pics to your banker..... we're talking numbers here... NUMBERS

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There is hardly any need to build as there are literally dozens of houses for sale in communities , in the town of Cabrera and on the hillside ..and most with wonderful views .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine included, with perhaps the best view in the area ...

I have more land, 1/2 mile away that I will build on... after selling.

BTW, Cabrera ain't cheap...... quite pricey (not knowing Costambar)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Adding to that,
security is not much of an issue if you choose correctly..

I have my own gate, my own dogs and open doors 24/7....

It is different than many here are used to,

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
My wife and I have lived in Costambar since 1988. From time to time we have looked for another community with the amenities offered to Costambar residents, but without the negative aspects fostered by the original legalities of its creation. We have found none. Our conclusion is that Costambar, for all its faults, is the only true community on the north coast.

Hi
Would you kindly take the time to explain to me the negatives of costambar. I am familiar with its layout ie super market beach, elelectricity generator even where bbeards is
To be honest i love costambar.
would you also explain what the monthly fees are for a house on 1000mtres land and what it includes....ive heard it is minimal
Cheers
R

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
costambar is a retreat for poor alcoholics mainly. quiet but inexpensive.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
costambar is a retreat for poor alcoholics mainly. quiet but inexpensive.
Costambar is a Community. But it is not a homologous one; it consists of a number of diverse groups, each living their own lives, but with certain communal interests. Therefore Dv8's implication that Costambar is primarily inhabited by 'poor alcoholics" could be a result of who she associates with. (However, by her prior posts, her comment most likely was driven by an innate 'snarkyness', which creeps into her writings, from time to time).
Costambar's communities consist of different cultural and national groups, as follows:
1. Italian immigrants to Canada, who pretty much keep to themselves
2. French speaking Canadians, who also tend to associate with each other
3. German and Austrian expats, see above
4. US snow birds, many from the NY area, who are the 'original settlers', and who have dominated the quasi-administrative organization that attempts to 'govern' Costambar
5. A wonderful collection of people from all over the world who defy classification, but find in Costambar enough good things to keep them here.

So how is this a 'community' then? Because Costambarians have united, time and time again, when their common interests have been threatened. We have joined together in fund raisers, partitions to government, protest marches and law suits.
We have collected money to pave our roads and buy garbage trucks. We have a group of residents who, year after year, contribute money to support the security effort by purchasing uniforms, boots, motorcycles, 2-way radios, etc. We have a free community library funded totally by contributions; English, French and German sections are maintained. Movies are shown on a weekly basis during the winter, all organized and run by the residents. Day and overnight trips also take place, all for the benefit of the residents, and all totally non-profit.

It's activities such as those above that make Costambar a 'community'. It is neither an 'old-age home' nor a 'drunkard's dream', but a complex collection of people who, while not always in agreement, certainly agree that it's the best place for them.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Orchid Bay is to Costambar as Sea Horse Ranch is to....

You nailed it, Windeguy!!! You can't compare Costambar to anything that I'm aware of.
What other gated community has:
1. a mile of beach
2. over a dozen restaurants
3. a 9 hole golf course
4. a swim club with gym and beauty salon
5. a free library with collections in English, German and French
6. a 24-hour taxi stand with a variety of clean, well maintained cars and vans
7. a well equipped colmado, with free delivery
8. an ATM
9. karaoke in multiple establishments
10. apartments and homes for rent or sale in all price ranges
11. stable electricity
12. five minute drive to a large urban center
13. seasonal Catholic mass

In summary, I do not believe that there is a way in which Costambar can be compared to any other development, barrio or estate.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
buzzard, i associate with no one, really. i just have eyes that can see. costambar is a nice place to live but it is what it is.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
buzzard, i associate with no one, really. i just have eyes that can see. costambar is a nice place to live but it is what it is.

Please allow me to quote myself:"5. A wonderful collection of people from all over the world who defy classification, but find in Costambar enough good things to keep them here."

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
please allow me to state again: inexpensive and full of alcoholics. nothing wrong with speaking the truth.