Where to buy paint . . . .

DRandGR

Aug 27, 2007
Need a good lead on where to go to buy paint and painting supplies in the Punta Cana area. Would like a quality paint like Kilz to cover up stains. Any thoughts??? Don't have time to travel to Santo Domingo.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Need a good lead on where to go to buy paint and painting supplies in the Punta Cana area. Would like a quality paint like Kilz to cover up stains. Any thoughts??? Don't have time to travel to Santo Domingo.

I bought a primer similar to Kilz at Americana in Friusa a couple if months ago. It worked well on a ceiling that had water stains.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Never heard of Kilz but there's a Sherwin Williams at Plaza 3 Center just after Ferreteria Americana.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Never heard of Kilz but there's a Sherwin Williams at Plaza 3 Center just after Ferreteria Americana.

Kilz is a brand name primer that's designed to cover stains that normally bleed thru regular paint. I think SW makes an equivalent but very expensive last I knew.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
if you do not do really good prep the job will not last no matter how good the quality of your paint. Mildew is a big problem and will come through sooner or later. Even Kilz will not stop the stuff. Before painting you need to stop all the mildew and get a clean surface.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
...............if you do not do really good prep the job will not last no matter how good the quality of your paint..............

Yes indeed, do a day of scrubbing, sanding, cleaning the walls and ceiling. Remove all furniture, remove cover plates from electrical wall switches and electrical outlets. Lower or remove ceiling light.

A day to scrub, next day two coats of a good sealant like Kilz, then you are ready to paint. I have always been partial to Benjamin Moore paint but if you can find Sherwin Williams that will also do the trick. Popular and Lanco are also OK if you buy the best product they offer.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Tri Sodium Phosphate on the surface after it is cleaned prior to painting. If you do not do good prep the exterior paint will last two years. Been painting my exterior every two to three years until I figured it out. Do not have the painter do the prep. Hire labor to clean it to your satisfaction. Cleaner the better and longer lasting the job.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
As Kate P mentioned there is a Sherwin Williams store in Tri Plaza. They have good quality paint and primers and priced similar to the other stores. We did the interior of our place 4 years ago and it still looks good