A beautiful drive

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
It was very sultry and overcast in Punta Cana this morning and driving back to la Romana from early golf , I decided to use the old route via Otra Banda and Higuey . The recent rains have made all the land look very verdant . I could see the hills surrounding el Seibo in a light mist and in Higuey decided to detour via el Seibo and Guaymate to la Romana .
The first thing that impressed me was that Higuey is so clean in the outskirts and in the city , just as several writers had described it . Higuey will never lose the crazy motor bike riders and the expression .. estas loco o de Higuey .. is so true when avoiding these crazy riders , all without helmets ..es la vida!!!.
The road from Higuey to the historic town of el Seibo gradually climbs through the centuries old valley way and on the right the low mountain range rises most abruptly from the fields. There are several farms that have been developed with ploughing , fertilising and planting of new grasses and these looked most productive and in stark contrast to most of the land that has never seen any improvements The large copses of the local tree saman are everywhere and are a contrasting green to the pastures . The road is full of people walking or chatting and there are some of the small roadside shops selling meat that hangs from hooks without any refrigeration. and also the usual number of stalls that have fruit for sale .
I purchased some water in el Seibo, noticing that the river was fuller than normal and that the same number of children were playing in it near the bridge . El Seibo does not really change and I love it for that , quiet and peaceful. I then turned onto the la Romana Road via Guaycaste although I was itching to go on to Hato Mayor and then to San Pedro , but next time .
The sugar cane trains go almost all the way from la Romana to El Seibo, so long are the tentacles of La Romana Central. First I passed Batey 108 and then all the way to the Coral Highway were all the hundreds of thousands of acres of rolling hills covered in new sugar cane , bright green with the recent rain .To the right and to the left in the distance are the low mountain ranges but between is sugar , sugar and more sugar. In total ,between Higuey and El Seibo and El Seibo and the Coral Highway outside la Romana I saw less than 30 vehicles .
If only tourists and even Dominicans could see the real beauty of this country outside the built up areas , they would truly feel uplifted . I know that the West of the Country also is beautiful with the much higher mountain ranges and like most people I have only visited that area a few times... Ok next month !!

Just Thinkin'

Oct 2, 2015
Very nice post. I've been reading comments for a long time and decided to register to comment on this one. Nearly all comments regarding all things DR seem to be so negative and depressing. This post is how my wife and I have seen the DR for the most part. We do not live there yet though.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good post. I have been wanting to do something like this for ages...
Inspired by your post I think I will as soon as I get some reliable wheels.

HB...happy to see this

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I agree with Kipling, very nice area. I also recommend El Seibo to Miches, through Pedro Sanches and up the hills. The road is good, trust me, black top all the way.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am staying the night in la Romana . If it is raining tomorrow , I will forego my golf and drive back to the capital via Hato Mayor where I have several friends . I forgot to mention that the roads I took today had at least three cock fighting arenas that I could see . I am not a fan of this but I once gave a lift to a young man from La Vega to the capital who had his fighting rooster with him and he was wonderfully interesting company . The provinces og Hato Mayor and El Seibo are not so well known but of course el Seibo has a wonderfully proud history of standing up to the Haitians and to the US Marines during the two occupations and also standing up to Trujillo . Santana instilled real blood in their veins !!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
It is a great route. I did all the way to San Pedro de Macoris before moving to Santo Domingo.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Kipling, this was so beautifully-written. Thank you - I hope I can capture even some small glimpse of this countryside when we are in our AI in late November - gotta find a way to get out and see some of the real DR.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Kipling, this was so beautifully-written. Thank you - I hope I can capture even some small glimpse of this countryside when we are in our AI in late November - gotta find a way to get out and see some of the real DR.

I do hope you can find a way to negotiate around the package tours that get put in front of you at AI's on the East Coast. We have a few posters over there that perhaps are willing to PM with you and get you to some lovey places at reasonable cost which have become closer to you now the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana road is near to complete.

A trip up to Miches with lunch on the lovely untouched beach and a return to El Siebo over the mountains and back to Higuey and a visit to the basilica before returning to your hotel would be nice and you see in part in reverse what Kipling has written.

My big recommendation is to visit Parque los Haitises near Sabana de la Mar......but maybe the road from Miches is not yet complete when you come.

Believe me, DR is an exceptionally beautiful country especially when you get off the beaten track.

alfiefan

Feb 20, 2013
Yes

I do hope you can find a way to negotiate around the package tours that get put in front of you at AI's on the East Coast. We have a few posters over there that perhaps are willing to PM with you and get you to some lovey places at reasonable cost which have become closer to you now the Bavaro/Miches/Sabana road is near to complete.

A trip up to Miches with lunch on the lovely untouched beach and a return to El Siebo over the mountains and back to Higuey and a visit to the basilica before returning to your hotel would be nice and you see in part in reverse what Kipling has written.

My big recommendation is to visit Parque los Haitises near Sabana de la Mar......but maybe the road from Miches is not yet complete when you come.

Believe me, DR is an exceptionally beautiful country especially when you get off the beaten track.
Yes, ju, all my best memories of the DR are from times we got away from the resort. I have put up a new thread and I'm hoping people can point us in the right directions. Thanks for your suggestions - our niece lives in the capital, and she and her husband may find time to come and take us around a bit in their car. I've cut and pasted your ideas into my DR file for the trip.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Yes, ju, all my best memories of the DR are from times we got away from the resort. I have put up a new thread and I'm hoping people can point us in the right directions. Thanks for your suggestions - our niece lives in the capital, and she and her husband may find time to come and take us around a bit in their car. I've cut and pasted your ideas into my DR file for the trip.

Best of luck...my knowledge of EC is not all it should be, but there are some DR1 posters over there with good information and positives about this lovely developing country who have committed to the place too.