Top 5 Santiago Neighborhoods

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
I realize this is a very subjective question, so I will give the criteria: Safety, housing, amenities, shopping, and vicinity/closeness to the center of the Zona Monumental. What are the top 5 neighborhoods? I look forward to any and all responses. I ask this question because I might stay for 1-2 months this winter. I normally stay for a week or two each year, and I don't spend enough time to answer this question for myself. I'm a single male in my early forties so this demographic may help with your answer. Thank you everybody in advance!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The top five?
Well number 1-3 won't be available to you: Cerros de Gurabo, Reparto Tavarez, and Tavares Oeste.

You might do better in Los Jardines Metropolitanos, Villa Olga, or the area called La Zurza.

Los Pepines is Dominican middle class and neighborly.

There are lots of nice places to stay...look in the DR1 Real Estate for offerings in Santiago..

Good luck.

HB, not so curmudgeony

jbars

Jul 6, 2007
The top five?
Well number 1-3 won't be available to you: Cerros de Gurabo, Reparto Tavarez, and Tavares Oeste.

You might do better in Los Jardines Metropolitanos, Villa Olga, or the area called La Zurza.

Los Pepines is Dominican middle class and neighborly.

There are lots of nice places to stay...look in the DR1 Real Estate for offerings in Santiago..

Good luck.

HB, not so curmudgeony

HB, thank you, you've always been good to me here and in person!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are several places but most folks will want the two months rent up front and a month's "deposit"....through a RE agent there will be a commission hidden somewhere in there, too.

PM me if you want to.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Location, a near total lack of rental units, price....There are fairly small areas, but loaded with major players.
Nearest to the Monument are La Zurza and Los Pepines.

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I live in La Zurza. It is nice and tranquilo and I can walk almost everywhere. I am only 2 blocks from the monument, the kids and I walk there almost everyday and I am always on Calle del Sol and we have many restaurants nearby where we eat lunch Sundays after church.
The only thing is that it is expensive and the houses aren't necessarily newer, but it is the location that makes them expensive.

SHALENA

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am a single male in my early 40?s as well. I have lived in several differents cities, towns, places across the country.
If you enjoy constantly having people trying to over charge you and have lots of free time to waste going to and from, you will love living here. If not, you will get sick of it fast.
HINT. Stay out of Gurabo, it sucks.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I am a single male in my early 40?s as well. I have lived in several differents cities, towns, places across the country.
If you enjoy constantly having people trying to over charge you and have lots of free time to waste going to and from, you will love living here. If not, you will get sick of it fast.
HINT. Stay out of Gurabo, it sucks.

To be 100% clear, when I said you would ?love living here? I was referring to Santiago.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
We lived in Gurabo/Los Rieles for for five years. It was nice, and now there is a concho that reaches that area and goes directly into the city. It's not far for a taxi/private car ride either. It's calm and mostly quiet (except in la calle 10, because well... calle 10). We moved because we work on the other side of the city.

Now we live in Monterico, Cienfuegos, and to be honest, I have absolutely no complaints. And nobody ever tries to overcharge us, we've never had safety issues and the public transportation is abundant. When we lived in Gurabo we did have all of those problems, all of the time.

tito121211

May 21, 2016
We lived in Gurabo/Los Rieles for for five years. It was nice, and now there is a concho that reaches that area and goes directly into the city. It's not far for a taxi/private car ride either. It's calm and mostly quiet (except in la calle 10, because well... calle 10). We moved because we work on the other side of the city.

Now we live in Monterico, Cienfuegos, and to be honest, I have absolutely no complaints. And nobody ever tries to overcharge us, we've never had safety issues and the public transportation is abundant. When we lived in Gurabo we did have all of those problems, all of the time.

Hey just wondering, whats wrong with Calle 10, I just bought a property between Calle 11 y Calle 10 as an investment/vacation space. Can you fill me in on the area maybe and what I should look out for, I live in NY and have family in a campo closer to La Vega but wanted a place to stay in Santiago.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Hey just wondering, whats wrong with Calle 10, I just bought a property between Calle 11 y Calle 10 as an investment/vacation space. Can you fill me in on the area maybe and what I should look out for, I live in NY and have family in a campo closer to La Vega but wanted a place to stay in Santiago.

Calle 10 is a little more hoodish but I don't think it's terrible.. my friend did get robbed there once but he was being dumb talking on his cell phone walking around (that's a no no here if you didn't know) . There was a guy here once that bought a place almost in the same area you are talking about and I don't think he had any major complaints.