Cable and Internet

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Hello
I am outfitting a new vacation rental property and I am wondering about some of the most basic questions.
What are the cable and internet providers in the Bavaro area? How does one sign up, and any guesses on approximate costs?
I did a search on this topic and found many responses from different areas and mostly ones that are out of date.

Thanks for any help.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would recommend Claro. They have a reasonably priced package with TV, Phone, and Internet included. But you have to make sure the apt. is wired for Claro service.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have Claro for Internet. The package came with a land line with 500 minutes good for local and US calls. I use Silver for cable. Never had an issue with either. But as Sky said, not all communities are wired for every provider. Where is your property located?

Sent from my SM-E700H using Tapatalk

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I have Claro for Internet. The package came with a land line with 500 minutes good for local and US calls. I use Silver for cable. Never had an issue with either. But as Sky said, not all communities are wired for every provider. Where is your property located?

That is interesting that the community can be wired for more than one cable provider. In the states depending on where you live you get comcast and that's it. Or Time Warner cable and that's it.
The place is located near the Barcelo Dominican Beach resort.

Is Claro internet "cable internet"? I know they are a cell phone provider as well and I guess they could provide internet over the air with LTE.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Yes, the Internet I have is wired internet. Without knowing which community you are in specifically I can't tell you what is available. I am also across from Barcelo Dominican Beach. PM me if you need help with anything.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Yes, the Internet I have is wired internet. Without knowing which community you are in specifically I can't tell you what is available. I am also across from Barcelo Dominican Beach. PM me if you need help with anything.

Good to know. Thanks neighbor.
How does one get potable water in these parts?

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Lol. The minimarkets all deliver the 5 gallon bottles. Your community may also have it available for purchase at the entrance. You then can get a dispenser at Corripio, Plaza Llama, Americana, or a simple pump at the grocery store.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
you get those buckets exchanged (empty one for full one) at every shop, at every single small colmadido on the island.
if you don't wanna carry your own lil 5 gallon bucket to your room, make home delivery, always available everywhere, even in the poorest barrios of the Isle.
what means you are outfitting a new vacation rental property?
do you mean you wanna be prepared for coming for a few weeks on vacation for yourself,
of do you mean you plan to purchase property and rent it out?
to become a landlord, you should first become familiar with the country and the specific area yourself.
if it's just that you want to rent for yourself for a while,
that's fine, keep asking, we will answer.

good luck

Mike

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Thanks Mike for the info and the advice.
We are buying it as vacation home and retirement home down the road.
If we can rent the place out when it's not being used, great if not well that's okay too.
Our initial plan was to get the keys, pay for the power meter, set up the account, and leave.
Now we want put in appliances, and furnish it as best as we can so the next time we come down we can stay there instead of one of the resorts.
We have been to the DR many times but I am sure there will be many learning experiences ahead.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Make sure you have someone come-in and air the apartment out monthly, flush the toilet(s) and be sure the P-Traps have water in them to prevent sewer gasses from backing-up into the apartment. Good luck finding reliable renters--we tried and gave-up and now only use it ourselves.

Thank you for the response Tashi Siu
I like detailed advice. What is a p-trap again?
So it sounds like renting is at best difficult? good to know.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's why i would not recommend to rent as long as you(the Landlord) are not here on site to take care about things.
the more reliable renters would be long term renters, as those pay a appropriate high safety deposit which would cover for damages, but with long term renters you couldn't use your place yourself for the own stays.

Mike

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I guess I have been fortunate then. Five years of tenants and only a few broken wine glasses, other than normal wear and tear. The key is a reliable property manager. Mine has lots of repeat clients, so there is a lower risk of getting an irresponsible tenant. And of course the security deposit and insurance is in place just in case.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I guess I have been fortunate then. Five years of tenants and only a few broken wine glasses, other than normal wear and tear. The key is a reliable property manager. Mine has lots of repeat clients, so there is a lower risk of getting an irresponsible tenant. And of course the security deposit and insurance is in place just in case.

for new neighbours like healimonster it is important that exactly those reliable managers are recommended.

Mike

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
I guess my vision of simply having a programmable lock and watching the rental income flow in will not become a reality.
Too bad but i guess I never really thought it would be that simple.

This is a good discussion of the pro's and con's of being a property owner.
I have never owned a rental property but I would like to think that most rentals are decent and respect the property. Most as in like 9 out of 10. Of course bad things will happen.
So if 1 in 10 Sh#t happens and the other 9 rentals more than pay for the sh#t that happened it is still a good deal I guess.
Unless that 1 in 10 renter steals your tv and trashes the place.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Broken glassware, stained and destroyed sheets and towels, permanent stains on the Coralina flooring...those things all add-up over the years and can be very discouraging. Not to mention over-suds washing machines and clogged dryer vents due to NOT using the lint filter, etc... Bad taste in the mouth and the checkbook!
Any and all of these types of damages should have been charged against your tenant's security deposit. That's why a thorough inspection and inventory is done at check in and check out.

By normal wear and tear I mean that I have replaced kitchen towels, painted the walls after 7 years, replaced a kitchen sink faucet that had oxidized, replaced a hot water tank that was leaking.....all things I would have done if I were living there full time.

healimonster

Sep 29, 2015
Back to the TV and internet. If we go with Claro do they make it easy to start and stop service? For instance if we wanted to have it on for the high season and off during the low season when the place will most likely remain dormant.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
You will need a contract. I believe 1 year is the minimum. Your best bet may be Silver for cable at about $27/month. And then get an Internet dongle or box that can just be recharged when you need it. You (or your tenant) just needs to add credit to it. I did that until last year.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Claro contracts run for 18 months each,
at least the ones i have with them.
3 residencial contracts for internet, phone, TV and 3 cellphone plans.
maybe they have special Plans to suit guests like you, who come ofr some months and then are out of country for some months,
i never asked about such.
drop a message to their customer service department on their website, to ask about it.

Mike