Making things better

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
If you send remittances to DR, don't just send them the money. Tell them to get a job. Tell them to earn what they can because every peso you send is one less peso for you, plus the wire fee.

Tell them to make sure the kids study, and learn English and whatever else they need. Tell them not to waste money at the banca, nor on cigarettes or alcoholic beverages. These are things you can buy when you have extra money, but if you have to depend on remesas, you don't have extra money.

Finally, when you send them money, make them promise that they will buy Dominican brands, made in the DR, if the price is equal or better and the quality is equal or better. If everybody does this then the factories will have to hire more persons to produce the goods. Further, if they buy imports, the store has to exchange pesos for dollars to pay the invoice, but if they buy Dominican brands, the store pays the invoice in pesos, which the factory pays to workers in pesos and the workers, we hope, will buy Dominican brands, too.

The government cannot ban the importation of goods because the other country will ban the importation of Dominican goods. The stores have to offer imported brands or the customers will shop elsewhere. It has to be the consumer that makes the choice.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Brand new Member, 5 posts , 4 of them are NEW THREADS ???

what are you up to.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
Thanks for the info. I'll sure members on DR1 after living or visiting the Dominican Republic for many years will use your info to further their relationship with Dominicans.

May 29, 2006
Someone get that kid a shine box...

1459746_10202352984203466_608249544_n.jpg

btw, that's Hotel Europa in Sosua in the background..

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
If you send remittances to DR, don't just send them the money. Tell them to get a job. Tell them to earn what they can because every peso you send is one less peso for you, plus the wire fee.

Tell them to make sure the kids study, and learn English and whatever else they need. Tell them not to waste money at the banca, nor on cigarettes or alcoholic beverages. These are things you can buy when you have extra money, but if you have to depend on remesas, you don't have extra money.

Finally, when you send them money, make them promise that they will buy Dominican brands, made in the DR, if the price is equal or better and the quality is equal or better. If everybody does this then the factories will have to hire more persons to produce the goods. Further, if they buy imports, the store has to exchange pesos for dollars to pay the invoice, but if they buy Dominican brands, the store pays the invoice in pesos, which the factory pays to workers in pesos and the workers, we hope, will buy Dominican brands, too.

The government cannot ban the importation of goods because the other country will ban the importation of Dominican goods. The stores have to offer imported brands or the customers will shop elsewhere. It has to be the consumer that makes the choice.

Why must they learn English? Why not Chinese, Italian, French......? And why are you so concerned about how people spend their money, be it the giver or receiver? If you are trying to promote people becoming self reliant, that is great advice anywhere and for everyone but I don't get the motive.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
And while you're at it, make them promise to wish on stars, always look for rainbows, and say their prayers.

Eleutheria

Jun 23, 2015

I…… can't. I mean I just can't.
I tried, but I just can't even begin to write a post that would reflect my feelings about this post.
I found a grocery store that sells giant bottles of off-brand amaretto for 300 pesos, but still. I can't.

"Now Fausto, make sure you buy DOMINICAN brands only to stimulate the economy".

Jesus.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I…… can't. I mean I just can't.
I tried, but I just can't even begin to write a post that would reflect my feelings about this post.
I found a grocery store that sells giant bottles of off-brand amaretto for 300 pesos, but still. I can't.

"Now Fausto, make sure you buy DOMINICAN brands only to stimulate the economy".

Jesus.

don?t try to fashion a reply to that posting. your head might explode.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why not ask them to stop being Dominican and start being more like you?

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
SomebodySmart
is on a very short leash and may be banned soon!

I'm most fascinated by the starting of 5 new threads immediately upon joining. I cut my teeth in the forums of Sons of Sam Horn, where I was fired for starting a new thread after 3 years!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

You REALLY want me to say that to a Dominican? If so, you don't know Dominicans for nada.
You'll never be able to finish getting the rest of your demands out of your mouth once they've digested the first one.
"Esta loca?" comes to mind.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You REALLY want me to say that to a Dominican? If so, you don't know Dominicans for nada.
You'll never be able to finish getting the rest of your demands out of your mouth once they've digested the first one.
"Esta loca?" comes to mind.

exactly! no need to get a job if they have you sending money to them. they go looking for a job when you stop.

maybe.