Drought definitely broken in the east

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Much of the country has been in a mini drought for the past year to 18 months but I can report first hand that ,at least, in the east , there has been very heavy rain on Friday, Saturday and Sunday . So much so, that golf carts have been banned on some golf course because of potential damage to the fairways . The concert last night , Sex and Love at Altos Chavon did finally go ahead but many people were drenched .. On the old scale, I would say that many places had at least two inches of good rain .

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
We've had at least some rain everyday and/or night for over a week now in Cabrera... at times heavy. My flowers are blooming, grass is turning green again, and taps supplying more water! So nice and so needed! However, I don't know if my clothes that are hanging on the line are ever going to get dry!!! ;)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
We arrived back to the Bavaro area on the 1st and it has rained every day since. One of our neighbors got back 3 weeks ago and said it has been very rainy. Judging by the amount of mosquitos I believe her

May 29, 2006
Unless the DR addresses run off, it's going to flooding followed by drought. Dams are not the answer.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
As far as I know, there is no other way to store water than in dams or resorvoirs.. the deeper the better to mimize evaporation . We desperately need to increase the number of reservoirs as the population increases and the climate pattern changes

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
So Chic. Are you looking at the ocean in say Sosua. Or can you see the far side of the reservoir in Santiago. Just wondering

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
No water today in La Romana due to flooding. Thank goodness we have a well.

The water supply to many parts of la Romana is a disgrace..and electricity little better. In such a relatively rich area ,why are the basic needs for the community not met?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The water supply to many parts of la Romana is a disgrace..and electricity little better. In such a relatively rich area ,why are the basic needs for the community not met?

that is easy. because the DR, despite its awesome potential, and well built up physical infrastructure, must be the worst country in the world in terms of service. they still cannot get basic, simple stuff to work. there are times i am at home and both the tv and the internet are down at the same time. every night i turn on tv i have no idea whether of not the channel i want to see will be up and running. if the picture is on, no sound. we won?t even address electricity here. every sandbar island in the caribbean has had running water in the pipes , which you can drink, since the 50s. the entire water supply in the DR is a disgrace, like most other services.

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
There still is very little rain for my area Martin Alonzo near Luperon the river here is still dry you can cross without getting your feet wet.

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
And the whole area around Imbert is still terrible dry. For whatever a reason the rain never really reached that area.