Question About A School In Santo Domingo-The Community For Learning

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Anyone here have a child enrolled in this school? I have heard some good things, but wanted to see what others have experienced.

I am looking to place a 4-5 year old child in Kinder there.

I have also looked at The American School, which seemed ok.

Both have about the same cost for tuition in all the grades.

Thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My son was there for Pre-K and it was an excellent school in every way. This was more than 10 years ago though. As far as I know it is still excellent - I'm still in touch with some of the parents and hear nothing but good things.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The directors are dedicated from what I know, which is important. My son about 20 years ago took afternoon classes with them, and they were very good.

Regarding this school, you should check well the location. Both Community for Learning and American School are in the northern part of Greater Santo Domingo. It would be recommended that you live nearby, for instance in Arroyo Hondo or Cuesta Hermaosa, or Arroyo Manzano. If not, getting there will be a nightmare because of the traffic.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The directors are dedicated from what I know, which is important. My son about 20 years ago took afternoon classes with them, and they were very good.

Regarding this school, you should check well the location. Both Community for Learning and American School are in the northern part of Greater Santo Domingo. It would be recommended that you live nearby, for instance in Arroyo Hondo or Cuesta Hermaosa, or Arroyo Manzano. If not, getting there will be a nightmare because of the traffic.

Thanks so much for the responses. I had this school recommended to me by a person that knows quite a bit about all the schools in SD. Surprisingly, the traffic is not so bad to get to American School and Community For Learning as long as you stay off Ave. Rep. Colombia and take the roundabout way via Camino Chiquito to Alfonso Moreno Martinez to Carr La Isabela.

heisy

Jun 8, 2015
If you are talking about The American School with a director called Blank in Arroyo Hondo, I can only recommand to mskip this one. Horrible school under horrible leadership......A school without schoolbooks....nothing to go by for the parents....kids just copy all day long from a blackboard........My kids were there some time ago....Not a good experience.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
If you are talking about The American School with a director called Blank in Arroyo Hondo, I can only recommand to mskip this one. Horrible school under horrible leadership......A school without schoolbooks....nothing to go by for the parents....kids just copy all day long from a blackboard........My kids were there some time ago....Not a good experience.

Apparently, American School changed the director a year or two ago. I am not sure whether they use school books currently, but I think some of that may have changed with the new Director.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The location was the one single reason we had to change his school. They moved further out of town and we moved in the other direction towards the city centre.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
The location was the one single reason we had to change his school. They moved further out of town and we moved in the other direction towards the city centre.

Just drove this morning out to this school from Kennedy-Arroyo Hondo. It's ok going out with some traffic around 7AM, but going back to Arroyo Hondo has horrendous traffic.

I am going to try again tomorrow morning, but leave and return between 6:15am to 7am to see if it is better traffic wise-will report here thereafter.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
If you don't live north of Kennedy, it will be an ordeal.

Even living just north of Kennedy it can be an ordeal. The traffic in the morning returning from the school on Carretera La Isabela and Camino Chiquito can be a nightmare, if after 7am.

Therefore, you are kind of stuck having to get your kid there between 6:30am to 7am-one whole hour before class starts at 7:30am, so you can get back to AH without tons of traffic.

Now I am considering the American School, because it is a bit closer to AH and you don't have to drive that extra distance from Ave. Belice to Community For Learning, but I think the Community for learning school could be better.

I would do St. Thomas-but it is just out of our price range.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Even living just north of Kennedy it can be an ordeal. The traffic in the morning returning from the school on Carretera La Isabela and Camino Chiquito can be a nightmare, if after 7am.

Therefore, you are kind of stuck having to get your kid there between 6:30am to 7am-one whole hour before class starts at 7:30am, so you can get back to AH without tons of traffic.

Now I am considering the American School, because it is a bit closer to AH and you don't have to drive that extra distance from Ave. Belice to Community For Learning, but I think the Community for learning school could be better.

I would do St. Thomas-but it is just out of our price range.

Well gave this a whirl this morning-Left at 6:25am from near Ikea-JFK. Took about 13 minutes to get to this shcool-Community For Learning-The problem began after you take the road Carrtera La Isabela after the plaza Cuesta Hermosa Town Center and the Texaco station. The road enters some barrio areas and narrows-there are garbage trucks-gas trucks-carros publicos and other cars plus all the regular traffic blocking a narrow road making it more time consuming-stressful-frustrating and a general feeling that you could easily get into an accident. For example, I had to pass through the oncoming lane to get past a garbage truck blocking the road with all the incoming traffic into the city-again unsafe. Moreover, there are a number of RacerX drivers trying to pass the traffic in both directions creating another hazard.

Arrived at the school around 6:40am and stayed for 10 minutes. Then went back to Ikea-JFK, which took about 16 minutes-not bad, but lots of traffic even at 6:50am to 7:15am in the morning with a difficult narrow road.

All in all, unfortunately, we had to give up on the school and are now looking at other alternatives that are closer like The American School, which is only minutes from the Cuester Hermosa Town Center on a much safer and wider road with barely any traffic.

Also, Colegio San Judas Tadeo-Although not a bilingual school. It seems to be a very good Spanish-Dominican school and more affordable than the bilingual school options.

Quite disappointing that we could not make The Community For Learning work out, but going five days a week back and forth to the school, traffic and safety have to take a higher importance in our opinion.

Last edited:

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Have you considered hiring a (trusted) driver, and having them take back roads to get there, or is that not feasible? I have a number of clients who have chosen that option in other locations.

bayaguanaman

Oct 22, 2009
My girls 5 are due to start school in next years intake, thinking seriously of St. Michael's Piantini. Been a couple of times inc the introductory new entrants parent evening, very impressive. Any comments good or bad on this. St. George School also considered but principle reason for St.M is entrance is 100m from apartment and no need to cross roads etc.

any comments gratefully received. Thanks Frank

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
My girls 5 are due to start school in next years intake, thinking seriously of St. Michael's Piantini. Been a couple of times inc the introductory new entrants parent evening, very impressive. Any comments good or bad on this. St. George School also considered but principle reason for St.M is entrance is 100m from apartment and no need to cross roads etc.

any comments gratefully received. Thanks Frank

I went to visit St. Michael's and was impressed with the school, but they only start at 1st grade and the price tag is kind of rich at about $8500/yr. tuition.

I did not visit St. George School, but heard this is a very good school also. Supposedly, but have not confirmed, the tuition is even higher than St. Michael's and heading toward Carol Morgan level.

Did you visit The Ashton School or Notre Dame School?

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Thanks JTG, will look at the Ashton as well. Gratefully received.

Frank

Another bilingual school, that I will be looking at Monday morning, is called Kids 'N Tas in Naco right near Tiradentes. I will do a write up after I visit the school. It may not be right next to you in Piantini, but it might be more affordable than St. Michael's or St. George for at least PK-3rd grade.