Car rental problem with Hertz

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
My Dad went to return his rental from PUJ to POP and they said it was missing a rug from the back seat. Obviously the rug was missing from PUJ but they claim that it was there and not noted upon the initial inspection.

So.... I'm about to write up a "reclamation" for him. I thought this was weird after paying 450 Euros+ for 4 days and a tiny KIA that barely made it up the hills that they would ask us to pay for the missing rug? Anyway, well I thought no matter how small this was and given the attitude of the stubborn clerk and manager that we would not cover for a mistake at PUJ.

If they were really that picky about the rugs, ask tray, cigarette lighter, cup holders, emergency hardware, and whatever else can be removed from the car then they should have an inventory. Anyway, a little ridiculous to me... oh but they said we wouldn't have to buy a whole set just the one missing rug, how nice of them, eh?

Suggestions?

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
My Dad went to return his rental from PUJ to POP and they said it was missing a rug from the back seat. Obviously the rug was missing from PUJ but they claim that it was there and not noted upon the initial inspection.

So.... I'm about to write up a "reclamation" for him. I thought this was weird after paying 450 Euros+ for 4 days and a tiny KIA that barely made it up the hills that they would ask us to pay for the missing rug? Anyway, well I thought no matter how small this was and given the attitude of the stubborn clerk and manager that we would not cover for a mistake at PUJ.

If they were really that picky about the rugs, ask tray, cigarette lighter, cup holders, emergency hardware, and whatever else can be removed from the car then they should have an inventory. Anyway, a little ridiculous to me... oh but they said we wouldn't have to buy a whole set just the one missing rug, how nice of them, eh?

Suggestions?

Write a clear, professional letter to Hertz customer service outlining the situation complete with names and titles of those involved. Mention there are 1000 people on a travel forum awaiting their response and resolution.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The car return dude at Hertz POP is particularly aggressive on over reviewing the returns. I stopped using them years ago over this tactic. Do remember they are a franchise but post 2 has a good idea.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We had an issue with Avis in Santo Domingo several years ago, wrote a letter to the Caribbean Headquarters in Florida and they bent over backwards fixing things. Refunded us and then some.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
When I rent from ANYONE, I take pictures of the car from all sides with cell phone and the interior, too, so there is never a question about what was there and not there. Tires and windshields are a big issue in the D.R. and I note them, too. The last time I rented from Enterprise in the U.S., they tried to charge me for a pit in windshield on the GMC SUV I rented and I just pulled-out the phone and showed them the pit in the glass in THEIR GARAGE when I picked-up the car. The person checking the vehicle out never noted the pit on the invoice. You have to watch Rental Car companies where ever you are.

Never thought of the before photos. Great idea and very easy.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Guess your dad needed that rear floor mate, but just one. Give me a break, just another reason to screw people. So sick of it.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Great idea on the photos. I would bet that the car in question here is the same one I rented in PUJ earlier this month. My wife did the damage check while I did the paperwork. I noticed as soon as I got to the car the left rear floor matt was missing.
I didn't really care as my wife had pretty much the whole car circled on the damage report. When I returned it the only thing they cared about this time was the fuel level.
Its a crap shoot every time.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is not an issue with the Company. It is the lice working there trying to screw you.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would not be surprised if this is a regular scam between them. Don't know how they would work it but these guys are damm clever at that sort of stuff.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
Email sent yesterday with details about the experience without being so long.

How/when do they decide to close the open visa transaction?

Before/after photos is a good idea so long as cell phone can capture details in low light conditions. The car was inspected on the outside only and it was too dark to notice a missing rear mat under the front seat (black on black).

I'm not sure how this scam works? But there's a loose mat out there and I'm hoping filing claims would eventually get the situation sorted out over time. It could have been worse though.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015

You can contact Visa and alert them to the dispute. They will actually fight it along with you. I do not know how long it would normally stay open, but once Visa is involved you should be fine.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
When you receive the car, they check it for every existing damage together with you and you sign this report. If you were too lazy to check everything, it's too late now to fight the rental company. You can take the before/after photos but it's not the document for the company, only signed report is a document.

For example, technically you can scratch the car, take a picture of that scratch, photoshop it to the "before" photo and replace that photo on your camera/phone. Very easy. But you can't play with the signed report since they have a copy.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Write a clear, professional letter to Hertz customer service outlining the situation complete with names and titles of those involved. Mention there are 1000 people on a travel forum awaiting their response and resolution.

Brilliant. I think that's the tact I'll use when I write to princess corp to complain about my sh!tty experience at Bavaro Princess last month.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
When you receive the car, they check it for every existing damage together with you and you sign this report. If you were too lazy to check everything, it's too late now to fight the rental company. You can take the before/after photos but it's not the document for the company, only signed report is a document.

For example, technically you can scratch the car, take a picture of that scratch, photoshop it to the "before" photo and replace that photo on your camera/phone. Very easy. But you can't play with the signed report since they have a copy.

You are absolutely right. The company has the signed contract and can enforce it. However, many times a company would rather keep the customer long term and ward off any negative publicity a frustrated person may generate by giving a free voucher or rebate a percentage.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Suggestions?

Sounds like a scam. Probably thought they could squeeze some money out of him. I have never seen a DR car rental dealer ever look inside the vehicle for something like that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Before/after photos is a good idea so long as cell phone can capture details in low light conditions. The car was inspected on the outside only and it was too dark to notice a missing rear mat under the front seat (black on black).

I'm not sure how this scam works? But there's a loose mat out there and I'm hoping filing claims would eventually get the situation sorted out over time. It could have been worse though.

Maybe melphis' wife still has the photos in her phone????

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is a scam that the employees dreamed up. Probably got a lot of "propinas" from suckers to avoid problems. No one I ever rented a car from even looked at the place mats in the back seat.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
However, many times a company would rather keep the customer long term and ward off any negative publicity a frustrated person may generate by giving a free voucher or rebate a percentage.

In US, maybe in Jamaica or Bahamas, but not in DR, Panama or Cuba.

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Most car rental agencies here in the D.R. rarely get "repeat renters" so writing the Main Office probably wouldn't be squat.

It would be a rare business plan to omit the possibility of repeat customers, especially in a corporate office. Keeping a customer entails a fraction of the time, effort and expense in comparison to attracting new people. In marketing, the general rule of thumb is a dissatisfied customer tells many people their story than a satisfied customer. If you doubt that, look through some DR1 posts.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
This sounds like a typical holiday scam. And as for the business model of respecting repeat customers, well, it really doesn't resonate in the DR.