Craving Dominican Food in NY/NJ??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For those of us who don't live in DR year round, sometimes we just want to savor the flavors of DR.

This thread is for you to share your favorite Dominican restaurant with us.

Here are a couple to get us started, from today's NY Daily News:

Tony?s place

Though many customers do come to the 20-year-old Bona Pizza just for cheese or pepperoni-topped pies, this particular pizzeria has a unique specialty: camerones, or shrimp cooked Dominican-style. Bona Pizza specializes in camerones, Dominican style shrimp that are butterflied, battered with a crunchy, tangy crust and fried to order

Butterflied, battered with a crunchy, tangy crust, fried to order and served with a lime wedge, they?re the special menu addition of owner Antonio Lopez. He decided to open Bona Pizza ? many call it ?Tony?s place? ? because he wanted to serve what residents of his neighborhood could afford. That?s why he keeps the prices of his pies (a jumbo with cheese is just $12), and his eggplant parm ($5) below the city average.

But Lopez, who?s originally from the Dominican Republic, had a hunch shrimp would also be a hit. They are now just as popular as $2 slices, if not more so. For $6.50, they come with a salad, garlic knots, and either French fries or a baked potato with sour cream and butter; you can also get them baked. For $13.50, try the shrimp with Bona Pizza?s version of surf and turf, which also comes with a steak pounded thin by Lopez? kitchen crew and served with saut?ed onions.

Bona Pizza: 751 Westchester Ave. at E. 156th St.; Bronx; (718) 991-9667

====================

Margarita's Restaurant

For the past 20 years, the parking lot at the corner of Prospect Ave. and 156th St. has been the home of a yellow and white truck serving some of the city?s best seafood pastelillos (fried and stuffed Puerto Rican-style patties, shaped like half-moons) and alcapurrias (football-shaped stuffed fritters).

But by mid-December regulars will be able to get their snack fix under a real roof, when owner Margarita Brito and her husband Rafael Medina finally open Margarita?s Restaurant a few blocks down the road.

Brito?s grandmother, and then mother, ran the first truck, which was originally known as Mama Isabel?s Place. But after her mother died on the American Airlines Flight 587 crash in November 2001, Brito, who is Dominican-American, took over the reins, recently changing the name to Margarita?s.

The truck?s many fans will be happy to note that the restaurant, says Brito, won?t mess with the truck?s prices (which range from $1.50 to $4) or the menu, which includes pastelillos filled with shrimp, conch, lobster, crab or a combination; as well as meat, chicken and cheese. There will also be rice, beans and soup, all available to stay or to go.

Margarita?s Restaurant: the new spot will be at 915 Avenue St. John near E. 155th St., Bronx; (646) 688-4781

===================

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-sty...p-prospect-ave-2-train-stop-article-1.2444020

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
One of my favorites:

http://maleconrestaurants.com/menu/

malecon.jpg

They make the best liver in town. mmmmmmmmm

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
La Casa del Mofongo
1447 St. Nicholas Ave., NY, NY

Delicious Dominican cuisine. Vibrant bar scene and large groups easily accommodated. It is in the heart of Washington Heights.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
La Casa del Morongo

Delicious Dominican cuisine. Vibrant bar scene and large groups easily accommodated. It is in the heart of Washington Heights.

Mofongo?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Cafe Raquetta - Fabulous comedor on 70th, between First Ave & York Ave, there is a line by noon, and sells out by 1pm. $8, and you will not finish the plate. They have a smaller plate as well.
Dominicano / PR /Cubano hybrid cuisine run by a really nice Koreano, caters to Latin hospital employees!

Pollo Guisado
Carne Guisada
Bistec En Salsa
Pepper steak
Pollo A La Plancha
Costillas Al Horno
oven cooked pork ribs
Costillas Al Caldero
Chicharon
Pork belly

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not for everyone. This is the guy that loves:

Anchovies
Ketchup on hotdogs
Bread and mayo by itself

Okay, you've redeemed yourself with the Anchovies, love 'em. I don't do ketchup, probably part of my aversion to vinegar. IMO, Dominicans ruin perfectly good fried onions when they add it!

4*4*4

Bronze
May 4, 2015
Caf? Rubio, 9805 Northern Blvd.,
Corona, Queens.

Excellent Dominican food and easy to get to after a Mets game. I hate to admit it, but my favorite thing is that their menus are backlit like a tablet.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Being a (former) Upper West Sider, I'm sort of partial to Malecon on Columbus Avenue. I don't usually crave Dominican food on the rare occasions I'm not in the DR, and usually spend my food points on things I can't eat here, but somebody wanted me to go and 'splain the menu to them, so I went and enjoyed it.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
S
One of my favorites:

http://maleconrestaurants.com/menu/

View attachment 2187

They make the best liver in town. mmmmmmmmm

Last winter I went to dinner with my 75ish parents and two sets of aunt/uncle. 5/7 people ordered liver. The waitress said it was unprecedented. I love me some liver. Beef/veal/pork. All good. But my hart alights with chopped chicken liver with extra shmaltz. Yummy! Can I get a scallion please.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
If someone could tell me what Dominican food is I could then decide whether or not I crave it. I learned on dr1 the expression, Dominican Republic, the island that spice forgot.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
hahahahahahaha

The OG was better but this one is not bad. This place caters to both PR and DR cuisine.

Highly recommended.

there was a guy who made pernil sandwiches from a little hole in the wall near to People?s and PC, in the circle. that was the best pernil in the Bronx, next to my ex girlfriend from Creston.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
there was a guy who made pernil sandwiches from a little hole in the wall near to People?s and PC, in the circle. that was the best pernil in the Bronx, next to my ex girlfriend from Creston.

hahahaha

Ridder's completed the Herpes Triangle. Tapestry was close by. :)

Own by cops.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
La Casa del Mofongo

La Casa del Mofongo has got to be the loudest restaurant EVER, especially late at night.

Extremely disrespectful behavior by after-party crowds.

Apr 10, 2014
If someone could tell me what Dominican food is I could then decide whether or not I crave it. I learned on dr1 the expression, Dominican Republic, the island that spice forgot.

Always bring 50 protein bars when I travel to the D.R. They are just as tasty as the food down there. Being from N.Y., never have and never will have a craving for Dominican food.