Trees on Sosua Beach

DarthKnowl

Sep 23, 2012
I just came back from Sosua. While this is my third time on the North Coast I've left with one burning question. Why are there so many trees on Sosua Beach? It's a nice beach, once you get past the trees. Why not cut some of the trees towards the shore, and show off the beach? Is there a law against cutting the trees, or is it culturally unacceptable? I truly would like to know. I asked a bar owner, and he didn't know:confused::confused::cool::surprised

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
It's against the law to cut down a tree in the DR, and contrary to your belief, most folks prefer the shade over the sun. I certainly hope that was all that was burning after you left, JEE JEE.:bunny::smoke::bunny:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree, the trees make the beach work. and without them all those hideous shacks would be even more of an eyesore.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Funny, the trees are the thing I love most about Sosua beach. They are what gives the beach it's character.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
The trees are wonderful. The shade on the beach is one of it's best attractions. It's nice to be in the sun when you are swimming but most people prefer to relax in the shade. The casitas are pretty nice too.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
I just came back from Sosua. While this is my third time on the North Coast I've left with one burning question. Why are there so many trees on Sosua Beach? It's a nice beach, once you get past the trees. Why not cut some of the trees towards the shore, and show off the beach? Is there a law against cutting the trees, or is it culturally unacceptable? I truly would like to know. I asked a bar owner, and he didn't know:confused::confused::cool::surprised

Are you nuts???
The shade trees are the best part of the beach, along with beer and the girl watching.
If you like no shade try sitting on Playa Alicia and see how long you last.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Are you nuts???
The shade trees are the best part of the beach, along with beer and the girl watching.
If you like no shade try sitting on Playa Alicia and see how long you last.

Egg-zackly. One requires umbrellas at Alicia, but unfortch, Alex (or Alice, as I like to call him) and his guys just don't have enough. And the ones they have are ****e.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
It's against the law to cut down a tree in the DR, and contrary to your belief, most folks prefer the shade over the sun. I certainly hope that was all that was burning after you left, JEE JEE.:bunny::smoke::bunny:

Not exactly. One needs a permit to cut down a fruit-bearing tree, i.e., mangos, lechosas, etc. The only exception is coco palms.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't worry, eventually the entire beach will be changed. They even have plans about this in City Hall. Eventually, sometime in the future, maybe..

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Don't worry, eventually the entire beach will be changed. They even have plans about this in City Hall. Eventually, sometime in the future, maybe..

If someone with deep pockets goes ahead with hotel and condo development it will be done.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Why not cut them all down..... Playa Haiti?

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
How is the sidewalk going? The one they are building so Dominicans can't walk on the beach anymore.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
How is the sidewalk going? The one they are building so Dominicans can't walk on the beach anymore.

It took a backseat, they are drilling the pilings for the Sosua Yacht Club off of El Tablon that was leveled a few years ago, all part of The Master Plan.

MstrPlan7.jpg

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
all my life i went to the beach with no trees...no shade etc then i started island beaching...under the trees shade i always thought they were scared of getting darker...where i put on lotion they put on a shirt...and hat

Jul 28, 2014
There's ample places to get Sun, there needs to be places for the shade, you need to remember, there's lots of semi-albino gringos around looking to avoid face cancer...