more charters to POP

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I believe that flight landed here in POP on New Year's Day. When I disembarked from my United flight around 2pm I ran into a mass of Polish passports in front of me at the line to purchase a tourist card.
The couple in front of me paid with a crisp US $100 bill and started to walk off. The young lady at the counter ran after them to give them their change.
That was a nice surprise.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
According to flightstats web site it was Travel Service Polska 7600 flight from Katowice via Santa Maria (Azores). The aircraft is B737-800 and it can't fly between Warsaw and POP non-stop. The airline only has 1 airplane in their fleet (according to wikipedia).

Also, TUI Poland will be doing direct flights (early July to late October 2016) from Katowice to Punta Cana on Thursdays and from Warsaw to Punta Cana on Wednesdays (taken from here (in Polish).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Good news, I suppose that that can be expected, but they have managed to spell the name of the Finnish carrier nicely...

FINANAIR (I wonder why is it capitalized in the news, as nothing else is, and I would not have paid attention to it if written normally...), should be Finnair.

Feb 7, 2007
According to flightstats web site it was Travel Service Polska 7600 flight from Katowice via Santa Maria (Azores). The aircraft is B737-800 and it can't fly between Warsaw and POP non-stop. The airline only has 1 airplane in their fleet (according to wikipedia).

TSP - a subsidiary of Prague based Travel Service, the largest charter and scheduled airline in the Czech Republic (smartwings) and the second largest shareholder of Czech Airlines.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
TSP - a subsidiary of Prague based Travel Service, the largest charter and scheduled airline in the Czech Republic (smartwings) and the second largest shareholder of Czech Airlines.

Yes, I am aware of that - it is all in wikipedia and on their web site.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cannot find this polish flight to POP on their website. katowice is a looong way for my parents but at least they can manage traveling within poland.

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
all of these charters are great but until they lower the airfare on American and other usa flts to the dr the north coast will not recover. they also need to redo all of playa dorado to attract new business and construction like the sweetheart deal that's going in punta cana.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
all of these charters are great but until they lower the airfare on American and other usa flts to the dr the north coast will not recover. they also need to redo all of playa dorado to attract new business and construction like the sweetheart deal that's going in punta cana.

Just adding to this something that bothers me:

Just like mentioned in the Carnival Port in Maimon -thread, majority of the passengers, that are supposed to bring income to the North Coast, do not even get out of the port.

We were just the other day in Parque Central in POP, and I cannot understand what is the point of all that they have done in the center. They have closed two streets and made them pedestrian-only, but there are no new (permanent) businesses whatsoever. There was a BHD/Leon Bank, even that was closed. There was a huge sign of "craft market", which I hope will have something to offer when a cruise ship is here, but now it was empty and ugly.

Meanwhile, the two important streets, which did bring some traffic into the city center, are permanently closed, but I fail to see any added benefit.

Sometimes I feel that everything is done here for the tourists (by locals) is just a crust to make everything seem pretty...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the streets are not closed permanently. there are ongoing works to fix them properly. there will be some changes to the traffic movement in the city centre. local government just fcuked it up, as usual, by starting too late, not budgeting correctly and so on.

playa dorada is slowly recovering. just recently they reopened one of the hotels under a different management. jack tar hotel/condo was inaugurated few months ago as well.

as far as lowering prices for american connection, true enough, but more flights from europe is great news too. many europeans are a bit adventurous and they may be into independent hotels and restaurants. good for economy.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
the streets are not closed permanently. there are ongoing works to fix them properly. there will be some changes to the traffic movement in the city centre. local government just fcuked it up, as usual, by starting too late, not budgeting correctly and so on.

Just to clarify, the streets I was referring to, are Calle Beller in front of central park/square and the street in front of BPD, also tied to central park. Not sure if you meant these two stretches, otherwise yes, you are right, it?s clear that there?s some work going on...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
thanks, bred, i'll check it out! i wrote to the HQ of that czech company and they told me to contact polish travel agencies...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Obviously there won't be tours around POP center until the work is finished.

I do it a couple of times a week. We have to walk a few blocks to get to the fort now, but we do get there. What are those new buildings there? Museums? I haven't stopped in yet to see, anyone know