Shaquille O'Neal The Next Expat in the DR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If Hillary Clinton wins the presidential elections, the DR is going to get 'free' touristic publicity. The Clintons spent te 2016 new year's as they traditionally do since the 2000's at Tortuga Bay in Punta Cana. With the Clintons in office, their yearly winter escapes will be reknown worldwide and hopefully Air Force One would make a yearly appearance at the Punta Cana International Airport.

American rapper Jay Z and his hip hop artist wife Beyonc? spent the new year's in their second trip to the DR. They were also spotted at one of the nightclubs in Santo Domingo. Last year or before last they were spotted in one of the clubs on ave Venezuela in SDE. That they returned is a very good sign regarding the impression they have of the DR. If they decide to buy a residence in the country to spend their winters, that would be an additional publicity for DR's tourism.

The other one is Shaquille O'Neal and his girlfriend. This was his third visit to the country, he claimed to he enjoyed greatly his stay and is now considering living in the country or at least that he thinks he can live somewhere in the DR. He adores the DR, his words.

More publicity that can only help the DR.

http://www.listindiario.com/entrete...aquille-oneal-esperaron-el-2016-en-punta-cana

http://www.7dias.com.do/portada/201...alentoso-tiene-mucho-futuro.html#.Vo2zG-zVunM

Last edited by a moderator:

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you call 60K big bucks, that is what he got. And he was not the host. He was a DJ in Oro nightclub for 2 nights.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
WHY is it funny? D-list celebs like Paris Hilton and FloRida all get these kinds of gigs. It's sickening that celebutantes and celebueffronts get $60K for one night of work. I agree. But that's just sort of 1st World culture.

Which is why I live here and have nothing to do with that world.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Errrrrmmmm. Why is this about Hillary? She is not yet the nominee, and she very well may not be. So hold off. It's a long time away. Jeeez.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
If you call 60K big bucks, that is what he got. And he was not the host. He was a DJ in Oro nightclub for 2 nights.

WHY is it funny? D-list celebs like Paris Hilton and FloRida all get these kinds of gigs. It's sickening that celebutantes and celebueffronts get $60K for one night of work. I agree. But that's just sort of 1st World culture.

Which is why I live here and have nothing to do with that world.

Ummmm. I think $60K for one night is a lot of scratch.

According to SKY's post, it was "Two (2) nights" work. not one (1).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
there is a long list of famous visitors............

Bill Gates 2x
Christian Bale , several,
Richard Branson..- condo here?

A big list........

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Ummmm. I think $60K for one night is a lot of scratch.

It was for 2 nights, and for a guy that made 200 million playing basketball and more money in commercials and TV this is chump change.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i love the article in which it stated that an area around Jay Z and Beyonce was cordoned off so the people could LOOK. i cannot fathom it. i can understand cordoning off an area so people can gawk at the latest Lamborghini at a car show. but i cannot understand what kind of people would line up to look at entertainers on a night on the town.

human beings are really retrograde...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
$60,000.00 USD for two nights work? That is a lot of money but still just a drop in the bucket if you were to compare it
to how much he made per game his last NBA season.

OkieJoe

Feb 15, 2013
He has endorsement deals with companies like Icy Hot, Gold Bond, Buick, Zales, and others. He is the joint owner of 155 Five Guys Burgers restaurants, 17 Auntie Annie's Pretzels restaurants, 150 car washes, 40 24-hour fitness centers, a shopping center, a movie theater, and several Las Vegas nightclubs. That's not even counting his contracts with ESPN/TNT. He makes way more than 30k a day. Im betting this was a bit closer to a "working" vacation, than paper chasing.

Aug 6, 2006
Playing Basketball takes talent, practice and effort. True, it actually produces nothing, but it IS work.

Life is, of course, not fair.

The $60K they pay these people probably is a small amount for the money that their publicity inspires.

I am sure that if someone paid me $60 to go night clubbing, I would say I sincerely love it too. And it would be a true statement.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Playing Basketball takes talent, practice and effort. True, it actually produces nothing, but it IS work.

Life is, of course, not fair.

The $60K they pay these people probably is a small amount for the money that their publicity inspires.

I am sure that if someone paid me $60 to go night clubbing, I would say I sincerely love it too. And it would be a true statement.

i was not talking about playing basketball. i was talking about playing discs at a party.

Aug 6, 2006
Okay, Playing discs probably requires about four hours of experience. I agree, it is hardly a real job.
Not much more than a 1970's Wurlitzer could do for a quarter a song.

But all the people who attended got to go home and brag about how JZ played discs for them. And paid for the experience.
It gave them somewhere to feel important and let people see them in their Jimmy Choo Shoes, or whatever.

Mar 1, 2009
If Hilary becomes president the world will suffer another global conflagration.
She is a bloodthirsty monster, Samantha Power one of the USA's 3 graces at the UN (along with Susan Rice and madame Clinton) said so when she was campaigning for Obomber way back in the day.
Ambassador Samantha "I got the" Power, apparently forgot that Hilary was a monster when she got her cushy job at State though, however Hilary "the monster", decided to remind us of her taste for blood whence she saw the video showing old man Gaddafi being sodomized, brutally beaten to a pulp, his hair literally being pulled out, then summarily shot by a gang of "moderate" rebels in Libya.
She happily and joyfully said about that incident.....
"We came, we saw....HE DIED"........
High Five!!!!!!
It was all happy, happy, joy, joy.
Democracy and Freedom was brought about, Libya was now to be a happy USA colony, like I dunno....JAPAN!!!
The Clinton democratic, human right's advocates that displayed such... justice, then moderately butchered the US Ambassador in Libya (surprise, surprise).
Hilarious, then quietly stepped down from her perch, popping up again after having her little "email-gate" scandal, she proceeded to lie about what happened under oath..... AGAIN (remember Whitewater and the other scandals?).
Hilarious's brother Tony is getting RICH, RICH, RICH in Haiti.
Now she is a presidential candidate again.
Hilary is a disaster in the making, so that means she would be PERFECT as president:)
Yes, yes please bring her to DR, I don't mind as long as she charges everything to State.
Maybe she'll meet a sankie and he'll make her forget about being the CIC and the DR will contribute to world peace that way.
One can hope, bring on the Presidente and Barcelo.
Now Shaq.
Dang brutha, now that's what's up.
Shaq likes to spread that bread and he ain't no fool.
The Dominoes he interacts with better up their game cuz Brother O'Neal is NO dummy.
To accumulate the fortune he has is no small feat for such a big man.

I have great stories of Shaq on South Beach.
Those are tales for another time though, I'm feeling like Neville Chamberlain right now though, "Peace in our time".

LC

Aug 6, 2006
I imagine that a Hillary presidency would be somewhere between a third term of Obama's, with antifeminists replacing the racists and birthers, and a third term of Bill Clinton.
Certainly superior to a presidency of Trump, Rubio or Cruz, each of them with vastly more flaws than Hillary.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If Hilary becomes president the world will suffer another global conflagration.
She is a bloodthirsty monster, Samantha Power one of the USA's 3 graces at the UN (along with Susan Rice and madame Clinton) said so when she was campaigning for Obomber way back in the day.
Ambassador Samantha "I got the" Power, apparently forgot that Hilary was a monster when she got her cushy job at State though, however Hilary "the monster", decided to remind us of her taste for blood whence she saw the video showing old man Gaddafi being sodomized, brutally beaten to a pulp, his hair literally being pulled out, then summarily shot by a gang of "moderate" rebels in Libya.
She happily and joyfully said about that incident.....
"We came, we saw....HE DIED"........
High Five!!!!!!
It was all happy, happy, joy, joy.
Democracy and Freedom was brought about, Libya was now to be a happy USA colony, like I dunno....JAPAN!!!
The Clinton democratic, human right's advocates that displayed such... justice, then moderately butchered the US Ambassador in Libya (surprise, surprise).
Hilarious, then quietly stepped down from her perch, popping up again after having her little "email-gate" scandal, she proceeded to lie about what happened under oath..... AGAIN (remember Whitewater and the other scandals?).
Hilarious's brother Tony is getting RICH, RICH, RICH in Haiti.
Now she is a presidential candidate again.
Hilary is a disaster in the making, so that means she would be PERFECT as president:)
Yes, yes please bring her to DR, I don't mind as long as she charges everything to State.
Maybe she'll meet a sankie and he'll make her forget about being the CIC and the DR will contribute to world peace that way.
One can hope, bring on the Presidente and Barcelo.
Now Shaq.
Dang brutha, now that's what's up.
Shaq likes to spread that bread and he ain't no fool.
The Dominoes he interacts with better up their game cuz Brother O'Neal is NO dummy.
To accumulate the fortune he has is no small feat for such a big man.

I have great stories of Shaq on South Beach.
Those are tales for another time though, I'm feeling like Neville Chamberlain right now though, "Peace in our time".

LC

i am trying, might and main, to connect all of this to Shaq.

Status
Not open for further replies.