spiked/weird drinks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
so... i went with our guests to the beach and we ordered a set of drinks. they were really strong. about 2/3 in i have noticed that i was feeling bad, my friend was the same. we called it a day and went home. my friend feels really bad: slurred speech, slow and weak. i am a bit better but something was seriously off with that drink.

i do not know what to make of that. it seems like our drinks were made with 151 or some type of claren. just plain wrong. not sure if i should go there and complain? was it bad booze or it was spiked with something? :cross-eye

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
For some reason when you order a frozen daiquiri it is made with 151 rum. It must be very cheap.
I learned it from ordering one and the minute I tasted it I knew it. I could not drink it. When I asked what it was made with they said 151 rum. So now before I order a drink I find out what rum they are using. 151 isn't even from the DR. I hope you feel better.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
For some reason when you order a frozen daiquiri it is made with 151 rum. It must be very cheap.
I learned it from ordering one and the minute I tasted it I knew it. I could not drink it. When I asked what it was made with they said 151 rum. So now before I order a drink I find out what rum they are using. 151 isn't even from the DR. I hope you feel better.

My brother, the one who recently died, drank 151 rum straight by the glass full. Did I mention he died of alcoholism?

May 5, 2007
so... i went with our guests to the beach and we ordered a set of drinks. they were really strong. about 2/3 in i have noticed that i was feeling bad, my friend was the same. we called it a day and went home. my friend feels really bad: slurred speech, slow and weak. i am a bit better but something was seriously off with that drink.

i do not know what to make of that. it seems like our drinks were made with 151 or some type of claren. just plain wrong. not sure if i should go there and complain? was it bad booze or it was spiked with something? :cross-eye

Even if you drank 2oz of 151 the effect should be not that dramatic Do you have reason or did the circumstances arise where someone might want to drug you? If so, it is a relatively simple blood test but 1/2 life is short so get it done ASAP I would be more concerned if I was "OK"

May 5, 2007

Many frozen drinks are made with regular rum and then 151 is "swirled' on top for the tropical flavor I think the stuff (151)tastes like lighter fluid, which I also gave up drinking

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am a wimp but not one-drink-wimp. we were 3 gringos with regular stuff like bags, camera and so on. that's why i am thinking it was bad booze rather than something more sinister but it kinda feels weird. never felt like this before.

May 5, 2007
i am a wimp but not one-drink-wimp. we were 3 gringos with regular stuff like bags, camera and so on. that's why i am thinking it was bad booze rather than something more sinister but it kinda feels weird. never felt like this before.

Rohypnol and the date rape drugs will usually leave you nauseous next day Can't think of anything "bad" in alcohol that would affect you like that were you three girls or mixed? Usually a reason if someone is trying to drug you

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Rohypnol and the date rape drugs will usually leave you nauseous next day Can't think of anything "bad" in alcohol that would affect you like that were you three girls or mixed? Usually a reason if someone is trying to drug you

If you'd ever seen our DV8 you'd know why anyone would wanna drug her and drag her back to their cave!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I assume you don't want to tell us which place it was since you aren't sure what caused the problem? Was it in Costambar?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

incorrect about 151 not being from the DR. they do make it here...i am sure Brugal has one.

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Based on your description of the effects of your drinks and your experience in the pharmacy the logical assumption is that you were drugged and I am glad you were not robbed or worse. Let us know of any other adverse side effects.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today we both felt ok but we went to sleep really early last night and i slept like a log. i still do not know for sure what was that all about but i will avoid this bar.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Nope. I don't buy the "drugged" argument. I didn't buy it when someone posted it on Facebook on the Everything Cabarete page, and i don't buy it now...but i will tell you why.

Shots inside drinks are not measured here except a very few, select places. Most people just "Free" pour. For example, when you go to Mojitos here in Cabarete, and you order a drink--i.E--Mojito, banana daiquiri, etc, watch them. I like sitting at the bar and watching them pour the shot. They actually measure the shot at Mojitos. But my god, the cup they are pouring the shot into is no less than 10cl. That's not a typing mistake. In Norway, bars are not allowed to make a drink with more than 4cl of alcohol. Mojitos is making middle of the road drink with 10cl of alcohol! That's 2.5 drinks in Norway...inside one drink here in the DR.

Now compound this...if they are using 151 in that 10cl shot, you are effectively getting 4 to 5 drinks inside one single drink!!

I didn't want to get into a big argument over on Facebook over this discussion because, A.) I don't know what drinks certain bars are using 151 (Yes, Dominicans make it here and we carry it at our bar), and B.) some people you are not going to convince with any amount of logic.

One more thing, the drug of choice for spiking drinks in south america is Rohpynol, Ketamine, GHB, etc. These drugs knock you out! You will not be getting up and driving home. "Rupy" The favorite one used in South America will knock you completely out so that you cannot even remember where you were at, or what you did, or who you did it with. There are lots of good reports on this drug and its uses in places like Brazil. I had a gay Norwegian Police friend of mine get one put into his drink in Brazil. He woke up 6 hours later in a police station and couldn't even remember his name for 20 minutes. He was also naked, and so was another stranger Gringo in the same room who had it done to him in a completely different bar. It knocks you out completely.There is no driving home. There is no walking home.

There is a really good Youtube video taken in Brazil from an undercover news team like 20/20 or something similar to that.

Anyway, anyone--especially a small female or someone like me--who drank even as little as 8cl of 151 inside one single drink will be having trouble talking and driving straight. I've been bartending for 35 years now, i wish i had one dollar every time some female--who was doing shots and getting very drunk--thought someone "spiked" her drink at the bar where i was working at.

If they used 151, and the "Free" poured your drink, you will be drunk. If they used regular 80 proof (40%) rum and "Free" poured your drink, and you got even a 10cl pour (2.5 what's legal in Norway), you will be feeling it big time.

Frank

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
yeh u gotta know when u drinking lichor ,,,....i remember being on the beach in jamaica wi and a raggae party....i was drinking since 5pm and at 10 pm getting a rum drink in jam white rum which is nicer(stronger) than 151... 2 of those i was out.... clearly time for bed had to get help to get home...drunk

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
yeh u gotta know when u drinking lichor ,,,....i remember being on the beach in jamaica wi and a raggae party....i was drinking since 5pm and at 10 pm getting a rum drink in jam white rum which is nicer(stronger) than 151... 2 of those i was out.... clearly time for bed had to get help to get home...drunk

You? Drunk on a beach????? No, Chickie, say it ain't so......All my illusions are shattered.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
just to clear it up, frank: i had one drink and i did not even finish it.

Jul 28, 2014
If I get mixed drinks I usually state: No Gasolina, o no quiero ciento cincuenta y un right at the start, at least then I can rule that out if I feel like sh1t...