Elaborate Birthday Cakes.....

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
I have noticed some very impressive birthday cakes in the DR..... some with well executed designer and cartoon themes. Seems even people with limited income will indulge in these cakes.
Is this some type of Dominican Tradition? Anyone know a place for custom cakes in Santiago?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Forgot the name, but the well known one for cakes is at the intersection of Independencia and Sanchez in Santiago. Traffic of people picking up cakes is non-stop.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
The only problem is, in my experience, that although they may look beautiful, they are still Dominican cakes, and therefore cloyingly sweet and not very tasty.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Forgot the name, but the well known one for cakes is at the intersection of Independencia and Sanchez in Santiago. Traffic of people picking up cakes is non-stop.

That was Fifa.. Fifa is now on Juan Pablo Duarte in a brand new building.. nicely decorated cakes for sure.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
That was Fifa.. Fifa is now on Juan Pablo Duarte in a brand new building.. nicely decorated cakes for sure.

As far as I know, "a" bakery is still there at Independencia and Sanchez.
Did they move within the last week or so?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The only problem is, in my experience, that although they may look beautiful, they are still Dominican cakes, and therefore cloyingly sweet and not very tasty.

Fully respecting your experience, personally, based on my experience, I?d refrain from generalizing as "Dominican" here, as we have purchased custom cakes from two bakeries, and standard cakes from La Sirena, and there can be striking differences between bakeries.

I know perfectly well what you mean, but I have also eaten a cake that was one of the best I have tasted...

And agree, people here like to invest to cakes here, and they (mostly) look really good...

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there are a ton of bakeries popping up in Santiago --- it's cool to cook, and lots of young, newly married girls are trying their hand at selling sweets: mini cheesecakes, cookies, petit-fours, etc... Some of it is delicious and ugly, some is beautiful and gross.

Fifa is "The" place to get cakes in Santiago. I don't like their cakes - too sweet, but my wedding cake came from there, and it was gorgeous. The bottom three of the five layers was camoflauge --- tapistry foam covered in real icing/decor.

Mari's cakes is the new "it" place - i think they do pizza, too.

I think the place SantiagoDR (hey, doN!) Is panaderia cibao, which was practically next door to fifa's and is still there... I don't think they do fancy cakes, but they have a chocoalate-iced brownie that is to-die for.

And yes, cake is a big deal! Can't have a birthday without the cake!!!!! And a lot of times the cake isn't even real - it's just foam, decorated with icing... and the sheet cake out back gets cut up. The cake is a photo prop.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I will check out the old location on Sunday.

I heard and saw a bakery of Fifa's brother(?) that opened up a competition store on Ave Circunvalcion up near the University.

Personally I don't like Fifa's cakes, or the ones from Pricesmart.

I like the taste of the cakes from the main store of Nacional in Santiago.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

... I think the place SantiagoDR (hey, doN!) Is panaderia cibao, which was practically next door to fifa's and is still there... I don't think they do fancy cakes, but they have a chocoalate-iced brownie that is to-die for.

Okay, it was just bugging me too much, I went by Independencia and Sanchez in Santiago this morning.

The reports of the "demise" of Fifa's Bakery at that location are greatly exaggerated.

They are alive and well!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Dominicans spend more on birthdays [complianyos] than any outher event in the whole island.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Sorry they spend more on Noise [Fireworks Bang 2 thousand pesos gone less than a second] The mecanic charges about 500 pesos to saw off the mufflers on Motos and cars.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Someone wanted English on their cake last week and it came out Hoppy Birtday. They didn't pay for it and it was sitting in the case at the bakery on discount. It was chocolate so I bought it in spite of the spelling! Just 200 pesos Que rico!

Apr 7, 2014
Someone wanted English on their cake last week and it came out Hoppy Birtday. They didn't pay for it and it was sitting in the case at the bakery on discount. It was chocolate so I bought it in spite of the spelling! Just 200 pesos Que rico!
They could have avoided that if they told them HOW to spell it first.

I also think the cakes are generally too sweet it takes me like 3 days to eat one piece.
And I dont go to the panaderia or the pastry shops. Odd habit of mine to do everything in the same place so I get all that stuff at the supermarket. I got a strawberry cheesecake at La Sirena. I mean I dont know if it was made in Santo Domingo or Miami but it looked and tasted like the refrigerated cheesecakes I get at the supermarkets in NY.
Plaza lama has all the jellO cups and pudding stuff(besides the yucky flan).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw a place today... CakeWorks (I think)

across from Union Medica... actually across from CIMEN, the imaging place.

One block towards Moca from Union Medica.... on the other side of the street

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
IMHO Plaza Lama has the best supermarket bakery in Santiago. It might be the only thing the place is good for.

I love Pricesmart cake for the price, and it's not too sweet. Plus they airbrush the sheetcakes and it looks nice enough for a kid's birthday party (sorry, not a fancy cake person).