Coraplata limits service to Perla Marina

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Is any other community experience planned Coraplata outages? How can after two months of rain can there be water shortages? Some other scheme must be afoot. We are spending a fortune having water trucked in to augment the outages and its nasty polluted river water.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is any other community experience planned Coraplata outages? How can after two months of rain can there be water shortages? Some other scheme must be afoot. We are spending a fortune having water trucked in to augment the outages and its nasty polluted river water.

We can talk about all the rain we have been having, but has that brought the water level up? I am familiar with only 3 streams here in the area I live and one is totally dry, another is stagnant and used to flow into the ocean, but now has a sand bar blocking it from the ocean and does not flow at all except during rain and the third has rocks showing in the stream that never did before. Thus the drought is not over. Even though it may seem to be.
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The overall lack of recent rains is certainly still an issue, but there is more to it.

I have been told by Corraplata personnel that the tubing carrying the water from it source east of Cabarete is inadequate in diameter to maintain the pressure needed to reach into western Cabarete on the way to Sosua. For that reason they are turning off the water to various locations.

They said they are also working on a new sourcing point for water somewhere in La Catalina.

I do not expect the solution to change any time soon. Corraplata is, like Edenorte, a government agency. This is the kind of problem you can expect when a government runs a utility and has no reason to be subject to the desires of its customers.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is the solution? In our development each house was required to have a 5,000 gallon cistern. With a jet pump and a pressure tank (and if needed an inverter to power that jump pump) the problem is mitigated providing you are no completely cut off from Coraaplata.

Meanhile, you wait for Coraaplata, and wait. Just like we wait for the road to be repaired between Cabarete and Sosua.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a big cistern too. coraaplata delivers water maybe twice a week but it is enough to keep high water levels at all times. i try not to waste water as well.

abuela, not sure what your solution could be. adding chloro to the cistern helps to clean the water from some stuff. using whole house filter system is also beneficial. think of a well, if possible. always assume that things will change for the worst and organize your household to meet those changes.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
always assume that things will change for the worst and organize your household to meet those changes.

This is the best possible advice given.

We usually get water 4 times a week, but there is no guarantee of the pressure. We?ve had water issues with Coraaplata since the first of 2016, but as we have a huge tinaco (renewed last November), always when there is water, I make sure the pump fills the tinaco completely, so that the cistern is able to take all the possible water in. Only with the water in the tinaco, we get by 2-3 days. If the water is cut off for a week, we should still be fine.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in DR it is vital that one takes care of own infrastructure as much as possible. when constructing from scratch it is worth to put a bigger cistern to store more water. when buying an inversor it is worth upgrading and getting one that can support household bigger than the existing one because 24/7 power all year round is still within a realm of dreams. not to mention earthquakes, foods and hurricanes. better safe than sorry.

on a related note, we had some big ass water averia in POP recently: http://notiplata.com/5092-2/
talk about waste of resources...

Aug 21, 2007
Infiniti Blu has had no water from the street since January 2015, even though Bologna, on our corner, does have water. We have been told that there are 2 main lines. One holds water, the other, not. We, too, have been promised that the solution will come soon. Meanwhile, we keep our fingers crossed.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Infiniti Blu has had no water from the street since January 2015, even though Bologna, on our corner, does have water. We have been told that there are 2 main lines. One holds water, the other, not. We, too, have been promised that the solution will come soon. Meanwhile, we keep our fingers crossed.

Lindsey

I would probably have connected to the line that has water by now.

Aug 21, 2007
I would probably have connected to the line that has water by now.

Maybe you have more power (or guts) than us. I am on the Board at IB. It's not that easy. And, yes, we have been talking with both CorraaPlata and the ayunamento. Lawyers have been involved. Negotiations have taken place. We have a promise for the week of January 26.

Let's see.

Lindsey

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Maybe you have more power (or guts) than us. I am on the Board at IB. It's not that easy. And, yes, we have been talking with both CorraaPlata and the ayunamento. Lawyers have been involved. Negotiations have taken place. We have a promise for the week of January 26.

Let's see.

Lindsey

I would have hired a couple of guys with pick-axes and shovels and connected to the pipe with water.

Lawyers talking to Corraplata is just morons conversing with morons, or ladrones with ladrones. Take your pick.

In seriousness, good luck in January 26. I wonder if you can find out what their excuse is for not providing water all along?

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I would have hired a couple of guys with pick-axes and shovels and connected to the pipe with water.

Lawyers talking to Corraplata is just morons conversing with morons, or ladrones with ladrones. Take your pick.

In seriousness, good luck in January 26. I wonder if you can find out what their excuse is for not providing water all along?

Not members of The Stonecutters.......

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Been here 10 years, POP. Had a meter installed 9 years ago, so I would only pay for what I used. Paid 10,000 peso's for this emergency meter.
It arrived 2 years later. When they can to install it, they had no tools or pvc to install it. I gave them shovels so they could dig. Then they gave me a list of PVC
parts they need ed to do the job. While I was at the store my wife called to say, the guy asked me to hurry up they had other work to do.
When I arrived home they did the work, and did not offer to pay for the parts. When I asked they said no money. Over the years I have not gotten any water
on certain months. So at the water department I asked for a credit. WOW!!! Ended up talking to managers a different levels to get a credit. They
said no it would be easier to just pay it every month. I asked, would you pay for something you didn't get. They said no. I said neither would I.
So they said are you going to pay. I said no, but you can pay it for me, or give me credit. They siad we didn't et the water I said neither did I, but you can still pay it
would be easier. @#$@#!$@$%#$^#$%@#$

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
In some cases it may be the guys who sell the water in the trucks that have turned off water in some areas.

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
the water trucks pay they brutos that turn of the water, we pay them more and they do it less... this will never end