Bicycling from Cabarete to Santo Domingo: 19.5 hours.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
So, as some of you know, i bicycled for two days with a broken collar bone--from Cabarete to Santo Domingo. The trip was around 248km (155 miles). Me and my friend, Marc Menard, took highway 5 to highway 7, and then at the end of highway 7, we biked in horrendous traffic during rush hour in order to get to the Colonial Zone before nightfall. The total amount of pedaling was around 19.5 hours. I had a Camelpack/hydration pack that pretty much saved my life because once you get on highway 7, there is no shade, and it's 100km from one end of the Toll highway to the other end. There is a 50km stretch just between the two gas stations on highway 7. Anyway, I have some raw skin in my groin area which makes it hard to sit down, but otherwise i'm doing great. Here is a Google Map of the route we took to the Colonial Zone.

Screenshot%202016-02-13%2005.09.37_zpszs3nvly7.png

Last edited:

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
So, as some of you know, i bicycled for two days with a broken collar bone--from Cabarete to Santo Domingo. The trip was around 248km (155 miles). Me and my friend, Marc Menard, took highway 5 to highway 7, and then at the end of highway 7, we biked in horrendous traffic during rush hour in order to get to the Colonial Zone before nightfall. The total amount of pedaling was around 19.5 hours.

That is one good ride, usually when I planned a long bike ride I planned for a "rule of thumb" 10 miles per hour. But that usually did not include going 19.5 hours straight (I think around 12 hours straight was my max and at the end I rode into a ditch because I was headlight blinded from an on coming car, got out of the ditch and still rode home (but that was cool summer NJ)). Good job, but my imagination is running away thinking, you had a "broken collar bone" and needed to get to a good hospital. Please clarify and lay my ridiculous leap of imagination to rest.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
That is one good ride, usually when I planned a long bike ride I planned for a "rule of thumb" 10 miles per hour. But that usually did not include going 19.5 hours straight (I think around 12 hours straight was my max and at the end I rode into a ditch because I was headlight blinded from an on coming car, got out of the ditch and still rode home (but that was cool summer NJ)). Good job, but my imagination is running away thinking, you had a "broken collar bone" and needed to get to a good hospital. Please clarify and lay my ridiculous leap of imagination to rest.

I have a broken collar bone from a motorcycle accident 12 days ago in my parking lot (I'm an idiot). I was supposed to go on a huge motorcycle trip right before i had my accident. The bicycle ride to Santo Domingo was an alternative that came up from a friend of mine who always wanted to try it.

Frank

ltsnyder

Bronze
Jun 4, 2003
www.x3ci.com
Just be careful

I have a broken collar bone from a motorcycle accident 12 days ago in my parking lot (I'm an idiot). I was supposed to go on a huge motorcycle trip right before i had my accident. The bicycle ride to Santo Domingo was an alternative that came up from a friend of mine who always wanted to try it.

Frank

The pain will almost never kill you, the pain killers can.....

Frank

I assumed you were going 150mph when you had your accident not 2 mph!!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Haha...I was in my parking lot; i was going no more than 10mph. i was turning, it was wet, and i grabbed too much front brake.

Frank

Been there, done that, but no broken bones.

In the early 90's, I was driving a small Honda pasola from Sousa to Sabana Iglesia,
(Pass Santiago, before San Jose de La Matas), with a bad rear brake.

29blymt.jpg

Quite an adventure since I didn't know Spanish and was fairly new to the country.
I had no map, just driving by memory from taking mini vans a couple times.

I flipped it on the big curve where Interstate 5 intersects with Interstate 1.
Was going too fast and hit the brake(s) to slow down, unfortunately the rear brake did not work.

And that was after a mechanic "Fixed" it a few kilometers earlier!

16jqx6q.jpg

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
just one question, WHY? Loss of skin in groin area? Riding motocycles in the DR is not dangerous enough? You are different, thats for sure. Me, I like a large car air conditioning and a jumbo Presidente to keep my groin area cool.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
My adventures never involve a loss of skin in the groin area. Have you given any thought to base jumping? Seems like the ultimate adventure for adrenaline junkies. For myself I am very risk advetse. Most dangerous thing I have done lately is tell my wife "no" in a near whisper voice.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Awesome bike ride, great work out. You got big brass ones. As an avid bicycle rider I stick to the agraculture roads in La Canela & Los Almacigos as I am afraid of the crazy drivers in and around Santiago. I try to do 75 to 100 in a whole week. Awesome ride, I'm envious.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Nicely done sir!
But you took two days to get to SD? Where did you stop for the night?

I did Cab to Las Terrenas in a day solo and then LT to Jarabacoa the next.
Fantastic rides but it was October and so fukin hot I wouldn't do it again outside the cooler months.

And with a broken collarbone I wouldn't do it at all!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My adventures never involve a loss of skin in the groin area. Have you given any thought to base jumping? Seems like the ultimate adventure for adrenaline junkies. For myself I am very risk advetse. Most dangerous thing I have done lately is tell my wife "no" in a near whisper voice.

That is fkcing funny!

Frank

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Nicely done sir!
But you took two days to get to SD? Where did you stop for the night?

I did Cab to Las Terrenas in a day solo and then LT to Jarabacoa the next.
Fantastic rides but it was October and so fukin hot I wouldn't do it again outside the cooler months.

And with a broken collarbone I wouldn't do it at all!

We stayed overnight in Nagua at a hotel called "Olas del Mar," or something like that. It was nice. $800 pesos a night.

Aug 6, 2006
We stayed overnight in Nagua at a hotel called "Olas del Mar," or something like that. It was nice. $800 pesos a night.

Years ago, back in the 1980's, I arrived in Nagua just before sunset. Because I did not want to be schlepping my suitcase around (this was back when they did not have wheels), I stopped in the first place I saw. There was no beach, just a littered shore on either side of the hotel. There was not enough room to walk behind the hotel. It was that close to the ocean. I paid for the room, I think around $10 or less, and dropped off my suitcase and headed out to eat. There was a huge ruckus in the lobby. An ancient Chinese woman who looked like she was in her 90's that they told me was the owner, was ranting and raving in Chinese or something unintelligible. She was siting in what looked like the first wheelchair ever made. There were three youngish women who were dressed like maids (bandanna around the head, flipflops on their feet) that brought her different things: the hotel register, a bowl of soup, a bunch of keys. Each time the old woman yelled at them and one of them would return with something else.
I went to some sort of restaurant nearby and had some sort of fish and rice and it started to rain, so I went back to my room.
It turned out that the outside of my room was up against the ocean, and you could hear the waves crashing. But there was no window at all. The next morning they were cleaning up and it seems I was the only guest. There were three rooms in a row including mine, all up against the ocean, and none of them has a window.
The crazy Chinese woman who looked like she was in the lobby, seated at a table ranting loudly to herself.

I walked around Nagua and it did not look like a place I would enjoy staying, so I took a pickup truck on to Sanchez and from somewhere near there over the hill to Las Terrenas.
I can't recall the name of the hotel. I imagine that it might have been known as "El Hotel de la China Loca."