Criminal or Civil Case

LegalQuestion

Feb 23, 2016
A friend of mine received a package from the US through one of the major forwarders on the island. When he went to get the package, it was damaged and missing US$60 that was inside an envelope, inside the package. It was a rather large package, but the contents were under the $200 limit, so no customs fee other than the shipping.

My friend, mad that the package was damaged and money was missing, walked out the store without paying and said that if they find the money that is missing, they can get paid.

He received an email from them saying that it would be turned over to their legal department in five days if not paid.

What should he expect? Is this a criminal matter, or civil?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A friend of mine received a package from the US through one of the major forwarders on the island. When he went to get the package, it was damaged and missing US$60 that was inside an envelope, inside the package. It was a rather large package, but the contents were under the $200 limit, so no customs fee other than the shipping.

My friend, mad that the package was damaged and money was missing, walked out the store without paying and said that if they find the money that is missing, they can get paid.

He received an email from them saying that it would be turned over to their legal department in five days if not paid.

What should he expect? Is this a criminal matter, or civil?

I suggest you (or my fren) pay them. If they know where to locate a gringo who owes them money, it will end up costing the gringo a more than the initial amount the gringo owes.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
You better pay!!! Agree with CristoRey. Its cost them nothing to file a "demanda" Once you got the claim you NEED to take professional help.
Then you in the mills. If you don't pay they always find a judge who take your passport.