Interesting data...

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic among world?s leading producers of avocado, papaya

According to a recent study, the Dominican Republic is one of the 10 largest producers of avocado and papaya in the world. The country is the third largest producer of avocado in the world, only behind Mexico and Indonesia. According to the study, which cites statistics from the FAO up to 2012, the Dominican Republic's papaya production ranks fourth worldwide after India, Brail and Indonesia.

Research
According to the final report of the "Agricultural Products' Market, Facilitation and Access Study in New York and Florida, within the framework of the DR-CAFTA," the country produces an average of 239 million units of papaya per year, i.e. a volume that amounts to 815,499 metric tons. "The average growth rate between 2002 and 2014 was 39.79%, mainly due to the over 300% growth there was from 2004 to 2005. The average growth of the last five years is 34.48%," says the study, which goes up to September 2015.

The world's largest producer of papaya is India, with a volume of 5,160,390 metric tons, followed by Brazil and Indonesia, with 1,517,696 and 906,312 metric tons, respectively.

As for the avocado, the report says it is one of the Dominican Republic's most important agricultural products, both economically and socially. It contributes to the generation of foreign exchange, as well as direct and indirect employment, in the country's main producing areas.

The study states that, according to FAO statistics, in 2012, the Dominican Republic ranked third in production of avocados, behind Mexico and Indonesia. In 2012, the country produced a total of 290,011 MT of avocados (639 million units, according to the Ministry of Agriculture). According to the Ministry, avocado exports in 2011 amounted to 19,877 MT worth $23.9 million dollars. That year the country ranked eighth in avocado exports worldwide.

The research, which was presented jointly by the CEI-RD and the consulting Agroforsa, includes a table that shows the national avocado production according to the Ministry of Agriculture. It shows that the average growth rate from 2002 to 2014 was 13.38%. Production in 2014 amounted to 404,474,000 units. "If we estimate the ratio of units to TM, comparing the data from the Ministry of Agriculture with FAO data, production was 182,013 MT," it states.

Another table shows the papaya production of the top ten producers worldwide. Usually, Mexico ranks above the Dominican Republic and is the second largest producer after Brazil. The report states that, according to FAO data from 2015, the biggest producers worldwide are India, Brazil, Indonesia, and the Dominican Republic ranks fourth. Mexico, by contrast, is in the sixth place, after Nigeria. However, since they are neighbors, Mexico dominates the US market.

Source: elcaribe.com.do

Jan 7, 2016
The Dominican Republic would be well-advised to diversify the varieties of avocados that they produce here, to compete better on the world market. They could more easily break-into the U.S. market with somewhat smaller varieties, as consumers in the U.S. are used to the California/Mexico Brand Calavo which produces quality avocados at uniform sizes, which makes it a little easier to quantify amounts for recipes, which are very popular in the States.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I love batida de lechosa !!!! And avocado ones too, to to the awe of my in-laws.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
I posted this a few years back, cant really remeber the details. But.....

There is a goverment institution that sells cheap, very cheap, " baby" trees and plants.
There is one just before Mao, coming from Santiago, on that stretch of road where there are loads of viveros.
Its like a huge nursey for plants and trees.
Anyway, went there 3 or 4 years ago, to get a whole bunch of stuff. Chinolas, manzana de oro, mangos, mandarines, oranges, avocados, lechosa......... my pick up was filled to the brim for a misery, less than 1000 pesos, 800 i think it was, but not to sure now.
The only catch is you need a cedula and a dr address. You fill out a form thingy.
Apparently its to push people to plant stuff again. ( which the dr is in dire need of, BTW ).

BTW, people will play mind games with you. creolo or inerto ??
I never really fully grasped the concept, and neither have they :) .
Seems inerto is a graft (?.... bouture in french )..... so the tree will give avocados quickly, under 2 years.
Wheras crello only gives fruit after 3 or 4 years.

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I posted this a few years back, cant really remeber the details. But.....

There is a goverment institution that sells cheap, very cheap, " baby" trees and plants.
There is one just before Mao, coming from Santiago, on that stretch of road where there are loads of viveros.
Its like a huge nursey for plants and trees.
Anyway, went there 3 or 4 years ago, to get a whole bunch of stuff. Chinolas, manzana de oro, mangos, mandarines, oranges, avocados, lechosa......... my pick up was filled to the brim for a misery, less than 1000 pesos, 800 i think it was, but not to sure now.
The only catch is you need a cedula and a dr address. You fill out a form thingy.
Apparently its to push people to plant stuff again. ( which the dr is in dire need of, BTW ).

BTW, people will play mind games with you. creolo or inerto ??
I never really fully grasped the concept, and neither have they :) .
Seems inerto is a graft (?.... bouture in french )..... so the tree will give avocados quickly, under 2 years.
Wheras crello only gives fruit after 3 or 4 years.

Criollo = Creole = Local, native, endemic
Injerto = Graft = Not 100% original/natural/norma, altered, manipulated.

People still see grafted products as unnatural.

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Criollo = Creole = Local, native, endemic
Injerto = Graft = Not 100% original/natural/norma, altered, manipulated.

People still see grafted products as unnatural.

I used to think so too. As learned from my fellow campesinos.

But , apparently, you can get both sorts ( creolo and injerto ) of the same variety..... so confusing at the least.

Also those same campesinos seem to be confused too.
I used avocado fruit from one tree ( the oldest i have ), which is creollo,says they.
BUT they say the 2 trees I grew from seed ( full size fruit trees now ), have magically become injerto, again says they ( but they know, i planted them using the first tree ). Go figure !!!! ;) ;)

PICHARDO

May 15, 2003
I used to think so too. As learned from my fellow campesinos.

But , apparently, you can get both sorts ( creolo and injerto ) of the same variety..... so confusing at the least.

Also those same campesinos seem to be confused too.
I used avocado fruit from one tree ( the oldest i have ), which is creollo,says they.
BUT they say the 2 trees I grew from seed ( full size fruit trees now ), have magically become injerto, again says they ( but they know, i planted them using the first tree ). Go figure !!!! ;) ;)

No matter how much you try to explain they won't get it!

It's just an old thing to do when farming. Learned and passed on to newer gens.

Jul 28, 2014
You and me both (along with green plantains used in any shape or form and boiled yuka).

Ever tried the green plantain as a dessert? Cross cut them, fry in butter and brown sugar in a shallow pan, then near the end throw in 5-6 shots of rum and reduce.

The rum sauce makes them quite enjoyable.... ;)

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
PICHARDO, any stats on who or what countries are buying the avocados and papaya's?

Not to jump into the middle, but I do know that St. Maarten (Dutch side) and Anguilla both import avocados from Santo Domingo. Plantains as well. Can't say about papaya's.