Going to DR with one-way ticket???

Clermont

Nov 5, 2015
Hi. I want to visit very soon but I don't know for how long I might want to stay. It could be a week or it could be a month. I think I might like to buy a one-way ticket so that I have flexibility on when I return. Maybe this is a dumb question but can I do it this way or would I encounter a problem? Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Call the airline that you will be using and ask them if they adhere to the return ticket rule. If you encounter a problem it will likely be at check in on your way to the DR.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
You'll be fine. I've entered the DR 30 times in the last 3 years on a one way ticket on four different airlines, and only been asked once if I had a return ticket. The DR does not care at all, but the airline can be held responsible for you if you do not follow the rules. If the airline asks, AND THEY WILL MOST LIKELY NOT, you just tell them that you're leaving in less then 30 days, but you haven't bought your return ticket yet.

DO NOT worry about this, unless the airline asks when you check in, which they wont.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's a crap shoot... you may be asked and are obliged to have one - if asked.

Not all ask... JetBlue , sometimes...
If so , Buy a retrun and use the 24 hr cancel rule..

You might / might not be asked.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You'll be fine. I've entered the DR 30 times in the last 3 years on a one way ticket on four different airlines, and only been asked once if I had a return ticket. The DR does not care at all, but the airline can be held responsible for you if you do not follow the rules. If the airline asks, AND THEY WILL MOST LIKELY NOT, you just tell them that you're leaving in less then 30 days, but you haven't bought your return ticket yet.

DO NOT worry about this, unless the airline asks when you check in, which they wont.

I wouldn't be so sure, I've been forced to buy a return ticket on the spot in the past and I know other people that recently had to do the same thing.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
are obliged to have one .

That too is a crap shoot. Even if they do ask, if you tell them you just haven't gotten it yet, they still may not care.

OP, I'm pulling number out of the air here, but based on my experiences and the experiences of others I have read about, there is a:

5% chance the airline will ask if you have a return ticket.

if they do ask, there is a 25% chance they will make you prove you have a return flight.

IF, IF that happens, just make sure you have a credit card with you and you purchase refundable ticket that is between a week and 30 days out. Cancel the ticket as soon as you land.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
I wouldn't be so sure, I've been forced to buy a return ticket on the spot in the past and I know other people that recently had to do the same thing.

Right. It all depends on who working the counter, and how good your people skills are. I've been asked, and said "my company hasn't bought me my return ticket yet, but I'll be there less than 30 days" and gotten "ok, have a nice flight" But, that was one out of 30+ one way flights. Mostly Delta, but also Jet Blue, American and United coming from Minneapolis, JFK, Denver, Miami, Paris, Houston and a few other, flying into Puerto Plata and Santiago. I'm pretty experienced on the matter.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Some airlines will sell you an open return ticket. It is the decision of the person at check in whether you need a return ticket. Note that I said that is that person's decision, probably not supposed to be , but it is. I had flown to Panama and went back to Miami earlier than I had planned, then off to the Dom Rep. At check in the girl asked me about a return ticket. I waved the return form Panama at the girl, and she asked how I was going to get from the Dominican Republic to Panama, and I replied that I usually go by ferry, and one cannot buy a ticket ahead of time on the ferry. That was good enuff!
Der Fish

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is a requirement of the Airlines by the DR government that you have a return ticket if you are not a citizen or otherwise legal resident in the DR.

Some airlines will ask, some do not. Just buy a fully refundable return ticket if you have to and get the refund.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
It is a requirement of the Airlines by the DR government that you have a return ticket if you are not a citizen or otherwise legal resident in the DR.

Some airlines will ask, some do not. Just buy a fully refundable return ticket if you have to and get the refund.

Easier than buying a return ticket is to go to copaair.com. Reserve a ticket back to the USA using your real info and when it comes time to pay say hold for 24 hours. You will be emailed a reservation that looks exactly like a paid fare, complete with record locator. Print that out and then stick it with your other ticket and if the agent asks you for a return ticket just flash that at them and you are good to go. Nobody is going to actually verify the fare is valid and paid. Don't worry about having to pay Copa either, you don't have to enter a credit card to hold the ticket, after 36 hours it drops from the system.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All airlines - at least UAL- offer the FareLock option.... $7.... done
Don't buy the flight.

Good suggestion....

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Where are you coming from? For example in Miami AA has an outdoor check in for bags and the porter gives the ticket. No chance of these guys asking after tipping them.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It's a crap shoot... you may be asked and are obliged to have one - if asked.

Not all ask... JetBlue , sometimes...
If so , Buy a retrun and use the 24 hr cancel rule..

You might / might not be asked.

What he said...

Got away with it several Times, then got caught 2x... 2nd Time I got caught I stopped doing it..

Best Plan, have an EXPENSIVE Return Leg, totally Refundable Booked.... then cancel it immediately when you LAND. stick it to em right back.
thats the only fool proof way.
its a total crap shoot..

Jan 7, 2016
Some airlines will sell you an open return ticket. It is the decision of the person at check in whether you need a return ticket. Note that I said that is that person's decision, probably not supposed to be , but it is. I had flown to Panama and went back to Miami earlier than I had planned, then off to the Dom Rep. At check in the girl asked me about a return ticket. I waved the return form Panama at the girl, and she asked how I was going to get from the Dominican Republic to Panama, and I replied that I usually go by ferry, and one cannot buy a ticket ahead of time on the ferry. That was good enuff!
Der Fish

Where do you catch the Ferry to Panama? Sounds like an arduous trip to me....

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
As some have said it is a "crap shoot". Technically the rule is you must have return passage but whether the rule is enforced varies. AA has the "24 hr hold option" and with Delta you can purchase a ticket and you can cancel within 24 hrs with no penalty (I have actually done that). I would rather play it safe and show a "return ticket".

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

I too have entered many times and I find it depends on the airport more than airline. Fort Lauderdale has gotten me twice. I had to purchase a refundable return ticket and then cancel it as soon as I got back over here.
What I usually do is make up an Itinerary on another airline. I even take the time to check flight numbers and costs on it and when asked for the return ticket I pull an envelop out of my back, hand it to the agent and they enter some of the information into their system without issue. I have NEVER had a problem using this method.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Can you say curb side check in ? Try it and give a tip to the guy. Done deal.

I think you might be ON to something..

The one time I almost missed a Flight,, had a boarding pass, but it was tight ( a Bridge was closed in the wee hours, had to detour) , when i got there I had like 55 mins to departure.. and the Guy at curb side was SO NICE.. I flipped him $5.. and said, please get me on this plane.. he was like " i got you bro"...

Inside , HAD I gone to check my bag in there, I KNOW they would have given me GRIEF.. like how DARE you come here with only 55 mins to get through security and to the gate..
but the Dude at Curbside had my back. why would he bother to check for the return leg.. nothing in it for him.
Good point.