Blu Cellular Vendor in the Capital?

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hi,

For some years I have been purchasing Blu feature phones. For a low price, I think they have excellent quality for a budget
phone: good audio, a battery that lasts, and an easy to navigate UI.

I'm sure many of you are familiar with the street, 30 de Marzo, south of Parque Independencia, where they sell electronics.
There has been a store there, hidden under a garage, that sold and serviced exclusively Blu phones. It now appears to be
out of business as it has been closed now for more than a week every time I pop by.

I have googled to no avail. Does anyone know a vendor in the capital that sells exclusively Blu?

I know I can find some of these phones on Duarte, hit or miss, but I'm looking for a Blu store . . .

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
All current Blu models have LTE bands compatible with Claro only in DR. They don't have LTE Band 3 (1800) needed for Orange. 3G bands can be incompatible as well. Just keep this in mind before buying.

P.S. I recently bought Blu Life One X from Ebay, amazing phone with high quality cameras. It was a gift for a girl who is now very happy with her new selfie toy.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
All current Blu models have LTE bands compatible with Claro only in DR. They don't have LTE Band 3 (1800) needed for Orange. 3G bands can be incompatible as well. Just keep this in mind before buying.

P.S. I recently bought Blu Life One X from Ebay, amazing phone with high quality cameras. It was a gift for a girl who is now very happy with her new selfie toy.

Nice. I guess you are suggesting purchasing Blu with Claro LTE. I'll check that out. In fact, Claro has a principal store on 30 de Marzo.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I just activated my new Blu Cell. Bought it online from Best buy site.
Playing with it now.
Never had one before!

JJ

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006

Hmm. That's interesting. I have a Blu unlocked phone that I bought from TigerDirect in 2014. It has an Orange SIM card in it right now. Never had a problem. But then, I haven't used it since last year.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Hmm. That's interesting. I have a Blu unlocked phone that I bought from TigerDirect in 2014. It has an Orange SIM card in it right now. Never had a problem. But then, I haven't used it since last year.

And do you have LTE working when in DR and in Orange network? 3G may be working on some Blu models, but not LTE.

There are no Blu phones that support LTE Band 3 (1800).

Apr 7, 2014
I bought a used BLU phone last year which Im going to give away when Im there next week. I do like them. I bought two more last week, one to replace the one Im giving away and another for in the future when I give that one away.
But my point is the ones I bought the BLU Studio C Mini and Studio G(both about $60 on eBay) are set up for 2 SIM cards. So if yours is similar then try a cheap Claro 175 peso SIM along with the ORANGE SIM card.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Guys, I am talking about high speed internet called LTE. Cheap models don't have LTE at all, they have 3G only. Those $60 models are discontinued. You can check current Blu models on their website.

There are different LTE bands used in Latin American countries, 1900 (band 2), 1800 (band 3), 1700/2100 (band 4), and 2600 (band 7). The only smartphone that supports all of them is Apple iPhone.

Blu phones support band 2 and band 4, and sometimes band 7. But none of them supports band 3 required for LTE for Orange in DR.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Damn I miss the days when all we had were landlines at home and pay phones in the street.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Santo Domingo BLU Location

OP:

After posting here, I emailed Blu headquarters in Doral, FL. I was not expecting a reply. Lo and behold, they responded.
Props to Blu! Here is their location in the capital:

Ramsgate Business Corp.
Direcci?n: #61, Calle Desiderio Arias,
Bella Vista, Santo Domingo, DR
Telefono: +809-701-6524

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Investigation of Some Ramsgate Phones in the D.R.

O.P. I have called the Ramsgate business in Santo Domingo. I asked them for the prices and model numbers of three phones from the cheapest on up.
Here are my notes:

Here are the Ramsgate models:

Dash JR
RD 2895
?no go? OS Gingerbread; 3.5? display; 1000 mAh battery
inferior specs

**Studio X (?sweet spot?)
RD 5490 (at Ramsgate, in the R.D.)
versus
amazon.com U.S.
Comparing seven phones, at amazon.com, the average price is $93.00, depending on color. This is an equivalent of ~RD 4270
January, 2015, one year old; 5.0 display; 2100 mAh;
1 GB RAM; 8 GB storage; 8 MP camera; micro-sd; 1.3 GHz Cortex A7 processor; Mali 400 gpu; dual sim; removable battery; stereo FM radio; OS KitKat, upgradable to Lolllipop
respectable specs at a decent price.
Save ~$25.00 if you purchase at amazon.com U.S.

Pure XL
RD 23,495
?exorbitant?
?off the charts?

I have taken the specs from gsmarena.com a website that features gsm phones only. This is the place for information and reviews for GSM unlocked phones, great for travel.