No cierre el cruce!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
My Spanish is pretty good, but sometimes I just don't understand what is being said. Along the highway east of Santo Domingo there are several signs before arriving at Punta Cana which said "No cierre el cruce." DOn't close the cross? Huh? Don't block the intersection? But it was a limited access highway, no intersections to block for miles if one wanted to do so. Anyone?
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in this case it can also be used in a sense of "don't block the crossroads", as in exits/entrances of secondary roads or access to properties.

Jan 7, 2016
My taxi driver friend tells me that because of the location on the Autopista, it refers to vehicles crossing the median to make illegal u-turns...makes sense as many do try it and some have been killed in the process.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Usually the sign is there to tell you to watch for cars coming unto a 4 lane autopista from a ramp, so basically to move into the left lane and not 'block cars' coming into the right lane.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Usually the sign is there to tell you to watch for cars coming unto a 4 lane autopista from a ramp, so basically to move into the left lane and not 'block cars' coming into the right lane.

Sounds like it is probably the answer to my question, but seems a weird collection of words for saying "yield right of way."
Der Fish

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Sounds like it is probably the answer to my question, but seems a weird collection of words for saying "yield right of way."
Der Fish
NO cierre el cruce is an extremely poor choice of words. As a native Dominican speaker I have NO IDEA what it means.

Its location by the merging point of a highway is mystifying to me. If it was near an interception, I would have guessed it means to avoid entering and standing in the intersection (waiting to advance) in a way that blocks the crossing traffic.

But at that location it makes no sense.

It is definitely not a common sign in the DR. I have only noticed it by the Coral Highway.

It MIGHT be a very bad adaptation of a PORTUGUESE sign (Odebrecht the builder is Brasilian).

Jan 7, 2016
Originally, I was thinking it meant NO STOPPING in the traffic lanes to obstruct traffic flow...trucks, etc., then to just stop anywhere they please (left or right lanes) and could easily cause a bad rear-ender to occur.