Visa requirements for a Dominican Citizen for Portugal

potus

Dec 27, 2015
I will travel to Portugal soon and would like to take my long term partner with me....She has a Dominican Passport.
Does anyone know if a Visa is required and if so, if we have a Portugese Embassy here.....Any information would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Question>>Does one need a Visa for each EU country or once one has a Visa for any EU country can other countries be visited with that same Visa?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Question>>Does one need a Visa for each EU country or once one has a Visa for any EU country can other countries be visited with that same Visa?

A Visa for one EU country is all you need. There are no border checks to or from EU countries.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
A Visa for one EU country is all you need. There are no border checks to or from EU countries.

Correct, no Border checks. But, there is a huge difference between no checks and having the right to be in another Country.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Correct, no Border checks. But, there is a huge difference between no checks and having the right to be in another Country.

Anyone that has a right to be in ANY EU country has a right to be in any other one they want to visit.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Great info....Thank you very much. Next step will be the Portugese Embassy.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Let us know how you make out please. It is not that easy to get this Visa for a Dominican.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Let us know how you make out please. It is not that easy to get this Visa for a Dominican.

Will do. I do not see much of a problem....we have 3 children in common....2 of them have EU Passports and are in a civil union for 10 years. But, one never knows.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Anyone that has a right to be in ANY EU country has a right to be in any other one they want to visit.

EU does not equal schengen and the other way round. UK and ireland are in EU and require separate visa, switzerland is not EU country yet part of schengen zone.

there is also a type of schengen visa that is only valid in a country that issued it (LTV).

small curiosities :)

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
EU does not equal schengen and the other way round. UK and ireland are in EU and require separate visa, switzerland is not EU country yet part of schengen zone.

Right. Noway is also NOT an EU country that IS in the Schengen area.

OTOH, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania ARE EU countries NOT in the Schengen area.

Finally, most non-European territories under the sovereignty of a Schengen country are *NOT* in the Schengen area.
For example, Guadeloupe (FR), Martinique (FR), Aruba (NL) are not in the Schengen area.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
If you check my link it lists the countries included in the Schengen VISA . There is also a map showing which countries are not included.

Austria
Belgium
Czech Republic
Denmark
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Iceland
Italy
Latvia
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Malta
Netherlands
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Liechtenstein

The Schengen Area is comprised of 26 countries that have agreed to allow free movement of their citizens within this area as a single country. Of the 26 countries bound by the Schengen agreement, 22 are part of the EU and the other 4 are part of the EFTA.
Schengen area covers the majority of European countries, except for the United Kingdom and countries such as Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Ireland soon to be part of the agreement. However, there are countries that are not part of the EU like Norway, Iceland, Switzerland and Lichtenstein yet do belong in the Schengen area and cherish the free movement policy.

CNSIERRA

Apr 11, 2016
Your companion must get a UE visa to travel from the DR if she is Dominican and does not holds a USA 10 YEARS VISA WHICH COULD BE A GOOD HELP TO OBTAIN THE UE VISA.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

While I agree that they are just persons making the visa decisions in the embassies (so decisions should not be subjective... discussed in this forum as well), based on what I?ve seen, I?d not generalize too much...

Cannot comment too much on the OPs case (3 children with EU passports, not married though, no idea if it weights or not), but I?d say that if you do your things right and smart, things are a lot easier to accomplish. A few years back, we did very little paperwork, and got a positive response in 2 hours and a very good service for a Schengen visa, and the same trend continued in the immigration in the EU side for residency permit...

As crazy as it sounds, I have had much more trouble dealing with getting residency in the DR, despite the fact that logically (where the most benefits are) it should be the opposite...