Merengue/Bachata lessons

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Does anyone know where I can obtain dance lessons in the capital? Does the university offer it? Im not trying to be world class but I desire to have enough skill to dance in the clubs. Plus it would give me something to do during the day.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Does anyone know where I can obtain dance lessons in the capital? Does the university offer it? Im not trying to be world class but I desire to have enough skill to dance in the clubs. Plus it would give me something to do during the day.
I wouldn't expect a university to offer such courses. If they did it would be more like a social activity extra-curricular thing, but I have never heard of any.

HERE is a list. I know one person who recommends the first in that list, but I don't know anything else.

You should also search this forum (for anything you may be interested in, now or in the future). For example, see this thread:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/135810-Dance-Classes-In-Santo-Domingo

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
On a related note, at the end of this month there is a HUGE bachata-centered festival at the Hamaca hotel, in Boca Chica. It has been called BACHATU, although this year they are using a more inclusive name (still, the main rhythm is bachata).

It includes workshops (lessons) during the day, and live concerts and DJ parties during the night.

It extends from Thursday 26 May to the early-morning of the following Monday.

The full pass is a couple of hundred dollars and is well worth it considering that the concerts are by top internationally-known performers. There may be less expensive options (with restrictions).

To take full advantage of the event you should try to stay at the Hamaca hotel (which of course would be at least a few hundred dollars more).

But there MIGHT be ways to get rooms at the hotel cheaper by booking through others, or to (perhaps) stay elsewhere and still access the event (check before making firm plans).

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I wouldn't expect a university to offer such courses. If they did it would be more like a social activity extra-curricular thing, but I have never heard of any.

HERE is a list. I know one person who recommends the first in that list, but I don't know anything else.

You should also search this forum (for anything you may be interested in, now or in the future). For example, see this thread:
http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/135810-Dance-Classes-In-Santo-Domingo

That thread is extremely outdated. Ive been here for a few weeks and things change on a daily basis lol. But thanks for the info.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
That thread is extremely outdated. Ive been here for a few weeks and things change on a daily basis lol. But thanks for the info.

Why "extremely outdated"? Did you check?

A lot of businesses and activities that were active in SD a few years ago are still active today. Of course, some aren't. The only way to know which is by checking, calling, emailing, etc.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Today's DR1 News:

Dance classes at Adrian Tropical

Learn how to dance merengue, bachata, son or salsa and then stay on for breakfast or lunch at the Adrian Tropical restaurant in Santo Domingo. Folklorist Xiomarita Perez will be teaching how to dance on Sundays in June and July. The dates are 5, 12, 19 and 26 June 2016 and 3 and 10 July from 9 to 10:30am. For more information, contact xiomaritabrinca@hotmail.com or call 809 383-4402.