Migration department will no longer ask for bribes

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Only in the DR could this headline, this story, be posted with a straight face. (See today's stories)

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just read this and almost wet myself I was laughing so much.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr. AE laughed too. We came through immigration right after Christmas, and the agent told him "It was a very bad Christmas, anything you can give me to help would be appreciated". SMH

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
here's what the OP is talking about:

Migration department will no longer ask for bribes

Major General Ruben Paulino Sem, director of the Migration Agency (DGM) says that the days when Migration Office employees at airports and ports would ask for bribes and tips are coming to an end. The Army general says that he has introduced a series of controls since his appointment and improved the quality of life of Migration Agency employees. This has significantly contributed to eradicating the practice of taking "tips," he said.

General Paulino Sem said that to counteract the negatives, when he took charge he immediately raised the salaries of migration agents at the ports, airports and border control posts. Shift supervisors' salaries increased from RD$27,000 a month to between RD$40,000 and RD$50,000. Supervisors who received RD$20,000 increased to RD$35,000, inspectors went from RD$13,000 to RD$20,000 and the new bilingual inspectors working at airports receive RD$30,000 a month.

According to the institution this has led to a considerable decrease in the number of passenger complaints about extortion as well as the number of extortion cases detected.

The DGM has also installed the Autogate at Las Americas (Santo Domingo) and Cibao airports (Santiago). The rapid checking automated service requires pre-registration to be able to bypass immigration inspectors. Registration for the service is free until 30 June 2016, afterwards it will cost RD$995. It is not obligatory.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
No matter what time of the year, I always put some pesos in my passport, and give to them,and say feliz navidad, everyone is happy

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
No matter what time of the year, I always put some pesos in my passport, and give to them,and say feliz navidad, everyone is happy

I thought Canadians could be prosecuted (in Canada) for bribing in foreign countries. But, this explains why my luggage is always searched.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am not sure i understand this particular bribe issue. granted, i have the residency but i have never paid anything to the migration neither leaving nor arriving. same with my dominican family here.
what kind of "tips" are they talking about here? random people giving money to migration officers? for what? why?

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I have had a couple vague hints but in probably 50 plus times through SDQ and STI in the last 10-12 years never had any real issues.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i am not sure i understand this particular bribe issue. granted, i have the residency but i have never paid anything to the migration neither leaving nor arriving. same with my dominican family here.
what kind of "tips" are they talking about here? random people giving money to migration officers? for what? why?

Some of them come out and ask for money - like the PN who will ask for money for breakfast/lunch/dinner. One asked for money for a cake because it was his birthday.

See post #4

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
now i don't know whether i am lucky or clueless at their hints. :paranoid:

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
Some of them come out and ask for money - like the PN who will ask for money for breakfast/lunch/dinner. One asked for money for a cake because it was his birthday.

See post #4

I must look really angry when I arrive because I have never had anything so blatant

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I had a woman when passing through security look into my wallet, I had USD, Pesos and CND dollars, she commented that I had a lot of money and would I share some with her! I guess she was looking for a tip!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When my husband first came with me to the UK some 14 years ago they said his UK visa was false, took him off to the office and he had to pay US$100 to allow him onto the flight. The same happened to another Dominican we accompanied the next time we went. When i went to the UK when my father was dying I had only US$20 with me. I went through the baggage machine and the woman pulled me aside and said I may have drugs with me and needed to go with her. I only had hand luggage with next to nothing. She took my handbag and looked in my purse and said is this all you have. I told her to take it and i would not be able to get to the hospital where my father was dying. She put it back and let me go.

Matilda

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I think some people think they are doing a favour giving tips, but in some places like immigration they just make addicts out of these people, so they go on asking from everyone.... !

If people didn't pay, they would stop asking.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I doubt if the immigration officers in SDQ would accept anymore . All immigration booths in SDQ now have a 360 dome camera behind all officers with full sight of monitor screen. Passengers offering tips at SDQ take note. I presume STI will be getting these followed by other airports as the new systems get implemented.

Last edited:

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Only time I encountered cash requests from customs was last year on my return trip to DR at Pta Pla airport. The male officer who cleared me had a small cardboard box with Tips accepted on the counter in his cubicle. So I left a tip. Regarding cameras monitoring the customs officers for tips. Doubt if it will make a difference. The recently posted video evidence of customs employees pocketing contraband money in full view of cameras more or less proves corruption will always be a problem.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

This is what I call... To promote corruption in a foreign country.

Esto es promover el macuteo.

JJ