Travel around DR and stay in cabarete

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
We're going to visit DR (again) this year, we're gonna stay in cabarete, but also travel to other parts of DR.
Right now, I'm thinking of:
- Barahona & lago enriquillo
- Monte Cristi & Dajabon
- Constanza or Jarabacoa
- Las Terranas/samana/las galeras

I'm looking for advice on things to do there (preferably not with an excursion but on your own) and small hotels and lodges for a reasonable price (we are not looking for luxury just clean, safe and a good night sleep.
Beautiful beaches are always a plus ofcourse, so tips on those are always welcome), but we want to explore the other parts of DR and nature too.

So basically any tips on acommidations welcome, also things to do within 1-2 hours of Cabarete.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
We're going to visit DR (again) this year, we're gonna stay in cabarete, but also travel to other parts of DR.
Right now, I'm thinking of:
- Barahona & lago enriquillo
- Monte Cristi & Dajabon
- Constanza or Jarabacoa
- Las Terranas/samana/las galeras

I'm looking for advice on things to do there (preferably not with an excursion but on your own) and small hotels and lodges for a reasonable price (we are not looking for luxury just clean, safe and a good night sleep.
Beautiful beaches are always a plus ofcourse, so tips on those are always welcome), but we want to explore the other parts of DR and nature too.

So basically any tips on acommidations welcome, also things to do within 1-2 hours of Cabarete.

Puerto Plata has several items of interest. Thee is the fort on the beach which was built before the year 1600, the cable car to the top of the mountain, a tour of the Brugal rum factory, a run out to Maimon for a lunch of seafood. La Pulga, the local flea market, which is open a couple of days a week if that type of thing interests you. I have been told there is a local chocolate factory, but haven't had the pleasure of visiting it. These are all in or near Puerto Plata and can be done in one day including to and from Cabarete.
Then there is also Monkey Jungle in Sosua. They have a zip lining set up, it costs $50.00 per person, they also have a bunch of monkeys in a walk through cage. Just visiting the monkeys without the zip lining adventure is only about $25.00 each, discount for kids.
Come and enjoy.
Der Fish

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Princess, there is an older thread that is now active again talking about chocolate factories to visit. Be sure to check that out.
Der Fish

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Personally I would miss out Dajabon, especially the market but instead on your way to Monte Cristi go to Playa Ensenada for great fish on the beach and stay in Punta Rucia. You could also check out the ruins of Columbus first settlement in La Isabela on the way.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Windy, try the other beach in Rio San Juan......
Better , IMO

Princess, that Samana Peninsula trip will break the 2 hour rule - not by too much, but will break it.
Overnight for sure

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Windy, try the other beach in Rio San Juan......
Better , IMO

Princess, that Samana Peninsula trip will break the 2 hour rule - not by too much, but will break it.
Overnight for sure

Is there a name for the beach in Rio San Juan? The one I recall going to there was nothing special.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Let's not forget the 27 water falls off by Imbert. This is one of the best attractions in the country if you ask me. Half an hour from Puerto Plata.
Der Fish

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Is there a name for the beach in Rio San Juan? The one I recall going to there was nothing special.

I would assume he means Playa Grande beach, same name as the Golf Course. Looks and is the same as any other beach.
It is past Playa Caleton, just after the Golf Course.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Being at both beaches I will say that it is no contest between the two. PC has a guy named Tony that will set you up a table
right on the beach in the shade and present you with the best fresh seafood in the DR. Playa Grande you can bet a hamburger
in the sun.

Have you ever been to Playa Caleton? I doubt you have.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well, I think I'll leave that alone..... where MY beach is.

Windy, where did you go for 'nothing special'??

Aha. You won't tell.

I think it was the beach that was the most straight in from the main highway and then in through town. There were some people that cooked fish in the area. Many years ago.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Aha. You won't tell.

I think it was the beach that was the most straight in from the main highway and then in through town. There were some people that cooked fish in the area. Many years ago.

I know this place. There was a restaurant with fresh fish there. You picked out the fish and they cooked it. Good place,
but certainly nothing special about the beach. I have ate there many times.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If any of the above abuse was aimed at me ...........

I have been to them, I live down the road.

Playa Grande does tables and food service - fish, anything you want... really, quite good.
and they'll take that table as far down the beach as you want to go.... ask for Daniel
Caleton doesn't appeal to me
The other beach you may be referring to might be near where they beach the fishing boats - that's not mine.

Truth be known, I usually go further east .... the Sos/Cab crowd rarely passes Playa Grande
Kind of a skunky area.

Princesa777

Apr 13, 2008
I have been there once and loved it! Now we are with a 3yr old, so at least one of us can't go. But it's definitely something to keep in mind.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014
Playa Magante + very good fish restaurant. Just about 10 miles east of Rio San Juan.
Jarabcoa has nice places to stay and dine.