Seeking nice resort - East Coast

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good morning Folks,

I need a little recommandation here. It has been a long time since we last went to a Resort. We would like to go to the Punta Cana/Bavaro area. We are looking for something nice with decent upkeep and food offering. We are not bargain hunters. We will be coming from Santo Domingo. It might be a requirement that the Resort offers transportation. If there are any price ideas for the transport, that would be great as well. we will be staying around a week. WiFi is a must. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Moved to East Coast forum for better response

Thank you very much......
Also, I know DR1 is not a Travel Agency and I am possibly asking a lot here.....but, any links would be great! Thanks again.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Also, I know DR1 is not a Travel Agency and I am possibly asking a lot here.....but, any links would be great! Thanks again.

Tripadvisor is always a good start. Will give you a basic idea.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

You'll eventually get responses from people who've been there or live there.

It's been many years since I stayed in that area, but my son and daughter-in-law enjoyed Ocean Blue. She's the picky type :)

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You'll eventually get responses from people who've been there or live there.

It's been many years since I stayed in that area, but my son and daughter-in-law enjoyed Ocean Blue. She's the picky type :)

The beach in front of Ocean Blue has eroded away very badly. Not a good beach any more, at all. There is a big cliff and they have built stairs to climb down to the beach. The private beach chairs are located on the cliff way above the beach. Very bad situation for them. For this reason, it will be better to look for a better alternative, I think.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Iberostar hacienda in dominicus( bayahibe) , its muy bueno.

But, it is in Dominicus - not Punta Cana/Bavaro. And the beaches in that area are inferior to those in Bavaro/Punta Cana. Much more rocky. Punta Cana/Bavaro has white sand only. Very rocky areas all along the Bayahibe/Dominicus beaches.

Jan 9, 2004
Good morning Folks,

I need a little recommandation here. It has been a long time since we last went to a Resort. We would like to go to the Punta Cana/Bavaro area. We are looking for something nice with decent upkeep and food offering. We are not bargain hunters. We will be coming from Santo Domingo. It might be a requirement that the Resort offers transportation. If there are any price ideas for the transport, that would be great as well. we will be staying around a week. WiFi is a must. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Paradisus Palma Real....and for a little extra....upgrade to The Reserve.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
A couple of resorts come to mind...Barcel? Palace Deluxe and if adults only then Iberostar Grand Bavaro. In Cap Cana there are the Alsol properties, Del Mar, Luxury Village and the newer Tiara. While these properties are a bit more "quiet" than the resorts in Bavaro I really enjoyed our visit a couple of weeks ago. Very nice with good service. I am not a "lay out at the beach" kind of person so the location in Cap Cana is great and relaxing. Barcel? Palace Deluxe is a large complex so there is a lot of activity. Beach there hands down in my opinion is one of the best in Bavaro.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Trip Advisor really is a better way to find out about a variety of hotels - and many reviews. You will get much more information that way.

With that said, you might like the Level at Melia in Bavaro. But, people here could very likely recommend equal or better. Of course, it depends on what you want to pay.

You wrote another time you were interested in Cap Cana. One way to see more of that place is to stay there, or nearby. The situation there is different, less dense with tourists for the most part. And higher end.

You recently saw here references to Punta Cana Resort & Club as being the best place in the area you are looking.

Tortuga Bay is good, but maybe expensive.

http://tortugabayhotel.com/

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
But, it is in Dominicus - not Punta Cana/Bavaro. And the beaches in that area are inferior to those in Bavaro/Punta Cana. Much more rocky. Punta Cana/Bavaro has white sand only. Very rocky areas all along the Bayahibe/Dominicus beaches.

Actually, the beach at dominicus, is not all rockey. Infront of the resorts viva, iberoatar, catalonia and belive, the beach is so good. You may be thinking about the beach areas further west from bayahibe.

We love going to this area over punta cana, because it is Not as congested with tourist like punta cana.

The beaches in this area offer whiter sand , and guest will be facing more of the carribean ocean, than at punta canas all atlantic ocean beach.

potus

Dec 27, 2015
In the modern resorts, how does it look with WIFI? It is a bit of a working vacation and I must stay in reach. Is there a good connection throughout or at least at the pool and in the room?
Thank you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I stayed at the Palladium complex recently and the wifi was very good throughout.
Your choice of resort, even if money is no object, will depend on your tastes and preferences.
Some might prefer the giant complexes like Barcel?, Palladium, Hard Rock etc. while others will go for smaller scale like Zoetry or Tortuga Bay.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I would look to DR1 over tripadvisor any day. I would definitely trust the live up to date info here than months old persnickety reviews. For anything DR travel related DR1 is #1.

Feb 7, 2007
According to most recent Tripadvisor pictures, the beach at Ocean Blue is not all that bad and people say there are well kept nice stretches of beach in front of OBLU.

I would recommend Ocean Blue for service, yes.

Recently I went two times to Memories Splash (sister hotel of Royalton) very good service though at Memories the food was slightly inferior to OBLU. Royalton compares on par. Memories/Royalton has a large free waterpark with many water slides and is accessible to hotel guests only.

I would also check the new Riu Palace Bavaro and of course Barcelo Palace (excellent food - much better than in Paradissus Palma Real).

Now when I went in May, Barcelo Palace had a day pass for 60 USD (50% off for children) and day+night pas for 90 USD. It was well worth the money.

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
I see no mention of Breathless, some friends of mine bombozzled me into this AI. I am an DR vet many trips to the island but only three trips to Punta Cana/Bavaro. I am not a fan of AI's as I have done several on different parts of the Island. We are a group of West Coast Swing dancers and I would have preferred Palladium for its beauty and proximity to avenita espana.

Danceelite

Mar 22, 2007
breathless was excellent 4 nights 5 days of nothing but party. We went as a group the only draw back is its at the far end of PC. You sort of get the an idea of what you are in for when you see the front gate. Breathless Hotel Welcome to the Party. Swim room pool, beach , food and fun no kids and reasonably priced. I will do this AI again 129.00 per person and I had a ball.