Please help with travel dilemma

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
I would really appreciate it if I could get some quick help with a travel problem.

I am in SD now and need to go to Orlando on Sunday and return to SD two days later (June 28).

I am Canadian.

I came here from Orlando on Monday this week and almost didn't make it on the plane to SD!
The JetBlue ticket counter asked me for my return ticket and I did not have one.

Can anyone give me advice how to solve this problem?

I need to buy the ticket as soon as possible. At this moment I don't know the exact date I would like to leave SD
when I return here on Tuesday.

I also don't know if I will be going to NY or Toronto.

Thanks!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I would really appreciate it if I could get some quick help with a travel problem.

I am in SD now and need to go to Orlando on Sunday and return to SD two days later (June 28).

I am Canadian.

I came here from Orlando on Monday this week and almost didn't make it on the plane to SD!
The JetBlue ticket counter asked me for my return ticket and I did not have one.

I need to buy the ticket as soon as possible. At this moment I don't know the exact date I would like to leave SD

Thanks!

You can probably buy a ticket with an open return.
Der Fish

Liftscoop

Jun 22, 2016
Not sure I understand ... why can't you just buy a ticket from SD to Orlando & back again? And what do New York and Toronto have to do with it?

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Not sure I understand ... why can't you just buy a ticket from SD to Orlando & back again?

Because when you check in at Orlando they ask you for a return ticket out of SD.

And what do New York and Toronto have to do with it?

NY and TO are the reason I can't just buy a return ticket to SD and out.
Because I don't know whether I will be going to NY or TO and what date as well.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
You can just buy any sort of ticket to return to the US on Jet Blue and cancel it
within 24 hours of purchase and there will be no charge.

OK thanks for this strategy Annie!
In this case it would be with AA. I hope they allow it too.

So is this how it would work?

I would buy a return ticket, from SD-Orlando-SD and
then when I am ready to leave Orlando I would buy a second ticket:
from SD-Orlando.
Then when I arrive in SD I cancel the last ticket?

I think that should work.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you have 24 hrs to cancel a ticket - any ticket you buy

Or buy a full fare ticket... and cancel when you want, or change it , free of charge w/ most airlines

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

I am Canadian.

Thanks!

Since you are Canadian travelling using a Canada passport you should have an open ticket to return to Canada...

I guess so...

JJ

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Maybe I am missing something, but technically don't you already have your return ticket to Canada,
and the Orlando round trip ticket would just part of your Travel Itinerary within the your Holiday
outside of Canada, which is your Home Country..

How would this be different than if you were for example travel to Cuba and back to DR, or Puerto Rico and back to the DR,
and then eventually back HOME with your " Return " Ticket to Canada ?

or do you live in the USA ?

Jan 17, 2009
American does not have a 24-hour free return policy as they have a 24-hour hold. Watch out with buying a ticket in American to try to get a refund here. I have a family member who did this and when he went to the AA counter to return it, he was told to show his residency card. Without it, not refund here.

American not always asks you to show a return ticket. I was asked once or twice only years ago.

If I were you, I'd buy any return ticket then pay the 200 fine to change the date. That's the safest alternative.

OK thanks for this strategy Annie!
In this case it would be with AA. I hope they allow it too.

So is this how it would work?

I would buy a return ticket, from SD-Orlando-SD and
then when I am ready to leave Orlando I would buy a second ticket:
from SD-Orlando.
Then when I arrive in SD I cancel the last ticket?

I think that should work.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
American does not have a 24-hour free return policy as they have a 24-hour hold. Watch out with buying a ticket in American to try to get a refund here. I have a family member who did this and when he went to the AA counter to return it, he was told to show his residency card. Without it, not refund here.

American not always asks you to show a return ticket. I was asked once or twice only years ago.

If I were you, I'd buy any return ticket then pay the 200 fine to change the date. That's the safest alternative.

$200.00 fine for changing the date? How much did you pay for the ticket? One way shouldn't be very much more than $200.00 USD if you take a low price airline.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Jet Blue forced me once to purchase a return ticket. I bought the more expensive refundable ticket then canceled within the allotted time and they refunded my money. What I usually do is print up an oficial looking Itinerary, fold it and put it in an envelope with Mr (my last name on it) when they ask me for my return I pull it out. I always make it from a different airline (I do go through the effort to use correct flight #'s times etc.) Thus far it always works. I believe for them it is just a matter of filling in a field on their computer screen and going to the next page.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
1. (for normal airlines) Anytime anywhere you need a return ticket, buy a full fare fully refundable ticket on any flight and that's it. Enter the country while this ticket is active so they can check and confirm that it exists, then cancel and fully refund it.

2. for dumb-idiot airlines like Acerca or Laser that can't check anything online, just photoshop and print a fake ticket on any other airline. But don't do it with Jet Blue, AA, etc...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I once went to Panama and had a return ticket back to ATL. I came back early and then came here to the DR. They once again mentioned a return ticket, so I pulled out the unused return from Panama and kind of held my thumb over the place where it said Panama, and it worked!
Der Fish

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Maybe I am missing something, but technically don't you already have your return ticket to Canada,
and the Orlando round trip ticket would just part of your Travel Itinerary within the your Holiday
outside of Canada, which is your Home Country..

How would this be different than if you were for example travel to Cuba and back to DR, or Puerto Rico and back to the DR,
and then eventually back HOME with your " Return " Ticket to Canada ?

or do you live in the USA ?

Here's the part you are missing.
I bought one way tickets from TO to Orlando and Orlando to SD.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Here's the part you are missing.
I bought one way tickets from TO to Orlando and Orlando to SD.

ok, well then that explains it ..

so then the question is not what process should be used which will cover all bases
, but rather which credit card of yours has the available Credit limit on it to keep doing this.

as was explained by others in this thread..
buy the return leg WHEN it is asked of you, and cancel it when you land.. Even if its a High priced return leg, you get a 100 % refund
so whats the issue ?

East Peazy

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
as was explained by others in this thread..
buy the return leg WHEN it is asked of you, and cancel it when you land.. Even if its a High priced return leg, you get a 100 % refund
so whats the issue ?

East Peazy

If one hadn't thought of this solution (as was my case) then it was an issue. :)

Thanks to all who suggested this solution (including my brother).

And then something else hit me just 20 minutes ago when I was talking to my friend about this.
This whole 'asking for a return ticket' thing was new to me. It happened for the first time when I checked in on Monday at Orlando airport.

The reason I had never encountered it before is because with all the one-way tickets (and return tickets) I had purchased I almost always
checked in online and didn't have any nasty check-in counter agent to give me a hard time.
The agents looking at my ticket just before boarding never asked me for a return ticket.

So another solution would be to avoid the check-in counter and check in online with boarding pass.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
That may have been true, but dont count on it in the future.. its purely the luck of the draw..
I think they can SEE your Itinerary when they scan your passport. Now if you do not check any Luggage at all, then maybe it would not be cause for concern.

I got caught once ,cheched in ON LINE , and was trying to drop off my luggage, Jet Blue jfk.. 5 of us got nailed on that one.
A supervisor was standing right there like Gestapo and made each one of us purchase return legs, 2 guys were expats living most of the year in Sosua.

so don't count on being that lucky .

Feb 7, 2007
You can reserve Copa flight to Panama and put it on hold for 48 hours. Print out the official itinerary from Copa web.