Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Las Galeras & Bayahibe Part 2- better late than never

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Being acknowledge with a smile or good morning may be more of a custom here in Texas as we tend to be polite and I certainly am not familiar with the culture there. I thought we were at some pretty touristy areas. We certainly didn't say hello or smile to every living soul we encountered but occasional when a gaze was met we would venture to "engage" with a polite smile or quick hello as a courtesy. We did give up after a while. I wasn't bothered by the cold response as much as I was surprised. I really haven't been anywhere where people are like that...except maybe Manhattan....and I am a native NYer.

I'm sure you are right about the class status difference or maybe just the culture there. So many other countries we have gone where people whom I know to be of little means would still be able to return a smile or nod. Just sad that locals in the DR seems to have a more hostile attitude towards those they do not understand. Just my humble 2 cents...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had your experience with the greetings. On the contrary, in small places the locals often greet me first if I encounter someone walking alone on the street (not only the girls).

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Salsafan View Post
    I haven't had your experience with the greetings. On the contrary, in small places the locals often greet me first if I encounter someone walking alone on the street (not only the girls).
    We probably aren't as good looking or young as you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12