Just arrived in Santo Domingo, several incidents already

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
After arriving in Santo Domingo I went to a pizza stand for lunch. When I got to the front of the line, a guy behind me muttered something in Spanish. He was about halfway through what he was saying before I realized he was even talking to me. I ignored him because I was in the middle of trying to place an order, which he was interrupting. Another Dominican guy who spoke English interjected to inform me that the first guy was saying I had agreed to pay for his pizza. I denied that and he got fairly upset and accused me of causing an uncomfortable situation.
Then I go outside to get a taxi to my hotel. I had a pre-printed map with directions and showed it to the driver before getting in. In broken English he said he knows the hotel and how to get there. I got in the back seat and gave him the printout just in case. Once we get on the road he starts pointing at the map while speaking Spanish loudly and a mile a minute. He kept turning around to show me something on the map and not paying attention to the road. I used hand gestures to get him to focus on the road again, which he fortunately complied with for the most part from then on. But it didn't stop him from continuing to harass and badger me about the map for the remainder of the 30-minute drive.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Those were the incidents? I guess the first one the were joking with you. And the second, he probably tried to explain you the directions on your map would go through traffic jams and that he knew a better route avoiding that.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Seems strange to me if anything at all. Next time, if there is a next time, give him the address without showing him the map if possible.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
I don't want to sound simplistic, but maybe try dressing like a local and act like you've been to the DR a lot of times....

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
I agree with mauricio, the first "incident" was probably joking. Dominicans have a bad habit of joking in a way that you think its for real and they just assume you didn't take it seriously, or simply don't care.

As for the map "incident" he was probably just showing you a better route to get there due to traffic jams. Either way, i wouldn't consider this an "incident". An incident is if you get robbed, or a police officer stops you to ask you for money or something like that.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I don't mean to be rude but after years and years in DR shouldn't you be talking pretty fluent Spanish to locals instead of suffering their broken English and 'incidents' caused by miscommunication?

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I don't mean to be rude but after years and years in DR shouldn't you be talking pretty fluent Spanish to locals instead of suffering their broken English and 'incidents' caused by miscommunication?

Yes, but learning Spanish is hard so I quit trying.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
I agree with other posters here that these weren't really incidents.... I too struggled with learning Spanish and after 4 years of spanish classes in San Diego California I still couldn't speak or understand hardly anything. I then met the last 29 year old virgin left in Tijuana who knew not one word of English and spent the next 8 months trying to get her into bed while my spanish was increasing each date with her. After 8 months of dating almost daily I could finally understand and speak spanish although I still didn't achieve my other goal with this chica.... so.... we broke up and two days later I get a call at my office in TJ from her.... she says... estoy listo... i answered... listo para que? she said ... para tener sexo contigo.... I answered... es demasiado tarde para eso.. and I hung up the phone.... True story.. So, my advise is to find a dominican chica who knows not a word of english and go out with her every day for 8 months and you will learn spanish...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Wasn't there a Paul Simon song about incidents and accidents, hints and allegations?
Relax dude, you came here to enjoy.
Der Fish

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I agree with other posters here that these weren't really incidents.... I too struggled with learning Spanish and after 4 years of spanish classes in San Diego California I still couldn't speak or understand hardly anything. I then met the last 29 year old virgin left in Tijuana who knew not one word of English and spent the next 8 months trying to get her into bed while my spanish was increasing each date with her. After 8 months of dating almost daily I could finally understand and speak spanish although I still didn't achieve my other goal with this chica.... so.... we broke up and two days later I get a call at my office in TJ from her.... she says... estoy listo... i answered... listo para que? she said ... para tener sexo contigo.... I answered... es demasiado tarde para eso.. and I hung up the phone.... True story.. So, my advise is to find a dominican chica who knows not a word of english and go out with her every day for 8 months and you will learn spanish...

:laugh::laugh:Hahahahaha...this reminds me of how my Spanish speaking improved:p

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Wasn't there a Paul Simon song about incidents and accidents, hints and allegations?
Relax dude, you came here to enjoy.
Der Fish

The song also says, "Don't want to end up a cartoon in a cartoon parade". I think he's already there.