US Consulate wants access to biometric and facial ID data

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I attempted to post this under an old thread from 2008
?Biometric ID card for foreigners questions? but its closed.

Sounds like Uncle Sam is requesting your biometric data now.
Regardless of which country you are from.. they will soon have
access to all of your biometric data the Dominican Government
has collected from you!

The US Consulate has requested access to the Central Electoral Board
(JCE) identity card system’s biometric and facial digital data.

As reported in Diario Libre, US special agent Duncan Tye of the consular
section requested the information to assist in the detection of individuals
with double or fake identities, through the use of facial recognition.
The letter explains that the US government criminal investigations unit
in the Dominican Republic is working in coordination with the National Police
investigative unit for forged documents for travel purposes, which operates
from the US Consulate.

Source: DR1 News http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/158956-DR1-Daily-News-Monday-19-September-2016
Source: Diario Libre http://www.diariolibre.com/m/noticia...icos-KN4971396

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I knew if I went and got a refill of my cafe con baileys someone would beat me to posting this. Nothing unexpected here. Still a gross invasion of privacy by a Govt that does not represent my interests and it's only a matter of time before the other countries making up the Five Eyes want the same info. Probably easier just to get it from the US.

Jan 9, 2004
I knew if I went and got a refill of my cafe con baileys someone would beat me to posting this. Nothing unexpected here. Still a gross invasion of privacy by a Govt that does not represent my interests and it's only a matter of time before the other countries making up the Five Eyes want the same info. Probably easier just to get it from the US.

If you only knew how many false/forged documents are presented to the US Consulate on a daily basis, just in the DR, you would understand why it is being done.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Oct 11, 2010
This is not going to be welcomed by many here (meaning Dominicans). Recently the U.S. Embassy cancelled the visa of the President of the JCE, Roberto Rosario Marquez, by a personal "visit" from the United States General Consul to the Dominican Republic. Duncan's request for the JCE data is being criticized locally. However, the request was made before the cancellation of Rosario's visa.

On a side note, SA Duncan was involved in the investigation of the Brent Lewis murder case and now the subsequent trial going on in Puerto Plata.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
This is not going to be welcomed by many here (meaning Dominicans). Recently the U.S. Embassy cancelled the visa of the President of the JCE, Roberto Rosario Marquez, by a personal "visit" from the United States General Consul to the Dominican Republic. Duncan's request for the JCE data is being criticized locally. However, the request was made before the cancellation of Rosario's visa.

On a side note, SA Duncan was involved in the investigation of the Brent Lewis murder case and now the subsequent trial going on in Puerto Plata.

So, why was Rosario's visa cancelled? I have not seen a cogent explanation.

Oct 11, 2010
No explanation was given. However, Ambassador Brewster met with president Medina well before the US General Consul's "visit" with Rosario. Apparently Medina didn't have any objections.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
The implication is that maybe Rosario was opposed somehow to giving the info to the US government, and Medina is not. But, that is only a simple guess.

It would seem to be useful for either, or both governments, to make a public, factual declaration.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Terrorism, fake identities, etc BS....they are doing an end run around the Constitution to get you in the database.

Reading the Diario Libre article, it seems the US Consulate wants to compare the photos of applicants at the consulate with existing photos at the JCE.

I seems they need more help identifying those with "mutilated fingerprints, imposters, and double identities" [personas con huellas mutiladas, impostores y con doble identidad.]

Sep 4, 2012
Reading the Diario Libre article, it seems the US Consulate wants to compare the photos of applicants at the consulate with existing photos at the JCE.

I seems they need more help identifying those with "mutilated fingerprints, imposters, and double identities" [personas con huellas mutiladas, impostores y con doble identidad.]

And I want "world peace."

Feb 7, 2007
The implication is that maybe Rosario was opposed somehow to giving the info to the US government, and Medina is not. But, that is only a simple guess.

It would seem to be useful for either, or both governments, to make a public, factual declaration.

As per the press release the JCE decided by a vote 4-0 to pass the buck to new JCE and has not approved the request but handed it over to new future administration. Rosario abstained from voting.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I attempted to post this under an old thread from 2008
?Biometric ID card for foreigners questions? but its closed.

Sounds like Uncle Sam is requesting your biometric data now.
Regardless of which country you are from.. they will soon have
access to all of your biometric data the Dominican Government
has collected from you!

The US Consulate has requested access to the Central Electoral Board
(JCE) identity card system?s biometric and facial digital data.

As reported in Diario Libre, US special agent Duncan Tye of the consular
section requested the information to assist in the detection of individuals
with double or fake identities, through the use of facial recognition.
The letter explains that the US government criminal investigations unit
in the Dominican Republic is working in coordination with the National Police
investigative unit for forged documents for travel purposes, which operates
from the US Consulate.

Source: DR1 News http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/158956-DR1-Daily-News-Monday-19-September-2016
Source: Diario Libre http://www.diariolibre.com/m/noticia...icos-KN4971396

Unless you have something to hide what harm will it do. We live in a different world and terrorism is part of it. Anything we can do to minimize this is a positive

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Unless you have something to hide what harm will it do. We live in a different world and terrorism is part of it. Anything we can do to minimize this is a positive

I believe it was Benjamin Franklin who said ?Those who would give up essential liberty,
to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

In this case ?liberty? being my privacy... so I will have to disagree with you on this one.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you have nothing to hide... is like, I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV...totally irrelevant to the argument and the situation when these sayings are most often used.

MY info, MY data, MY DNA, MY iris scan, MY bank balance, MY retailer of choice, MY movements in a free society should remain mine. Whether I choose to share them with MY Govt. or some other Govt or entity, should be MY choice.

If entry into the USA requires the submission of MY biometric data, I can choose to go or not. If travel to the DR requires such data and I choose to submit it, this should not automatically be seen as MY tactic permission for the DR use my data for purposes other than that for which it was collected. Unless specifically notified at the time I voluntarily give MY data that it will be given to other parties, it cannot be said that I have given my informed consent to do so. I may have in the past made deliberate decisions not to travel to the USA because I do not want that country to have my biometric data. To get access to it via a back door route negates my free choice, diminishes my freedom and tramples all over my rights as the owner of the data.

If subsequently asked if I agree to MY data being used for a purpose other than what I have previously agreed to, there must be an option for me to decline such a request without penalty.

Just MY opinion on the ownership of MY face, MY fingerprints, MY eyes.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If you have nothing to hide... is like, I'm not a doctor but I play one on TV...totally irrelevant to the argument and the situation when these sayings are most often used.

MY info, MY data, MY DNA, MY iris scan, MY bank balance, MY retailer of choice, MY movements in a free society should remain mine. Whether I choose to share them with MY Govt. or some other Govt or entity, should be MY choice.

If entry into the USA requires the submission of MY biometric data, I can choose to go or not. If travel to the DR requires such data and I choose to submit it, this should not automatically be seen as MY tactic permission for the DR use my data for purposes other than that for which it was collected. Unless specifically notified at the time I voluntarily give MY data that it will be given to other parties, it cannot be said that I have given my informed consent to do so. I may have in the past made deliberate decisions not to travel to the USA because I do not want that country to have my biometric data. To get access to it via a back door route negates my free choice, diminishes my freedom and tramples all over my rights as the owner of the data.

If subsequently asked if I agree to MY data being used for a purpose other than what I have previously agreed to, there must be an option for me to decline such a request without penalty.

Just MY opinion on the ownership of MY face, MY fingerprints, MY eyes.

Have you ever read the privacy policy in a doctor's office in the USA? Basically it says they will not give out your private data unless they decide they want to do so. 3 or 4 pages of word salad and that is basically what it boils down to. I was on a jury trial and it was brought up that the patient signed a privacy policy thinking that it in some way assured her privacy, but it does the opposite. The lawyer assured the court room that a doctor still has to treat a person even if they refuse to sigh the so called privacy policy.
Der Fish

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
We abidcate our privacy all the time, sometimes being cognizant of what we are doing, often times we are not. When you click OK setting up an account on a website, chances are you are giving up your data. Many times you are giving up the right to sue in favor of binding arbitration with an arbitrator of the service provider's choosing.

If you don't read the privacy agreements before installing software on your computer they get you again. The small print on your cable company, cell phone, land line telephone provider, loyalty card program, credit card agreement...

You just can't keep up these days. Everyone is brokering info about you. Large databases are gobbling up every tidbit and storing it a virtual file forever. They know how many times you've gone to the doctor. How many car accidents you've had, everywhere you've lived like forever, where you travel to and how often. What you buy, how often your order pizza and Chinese food delivery it's insane. People are getting rich selling info about you and you get nothing of substance in return. Sometimes I dream of sending my cell phone on a round the world tour. Mailing it to a friend and having them recharge it and sent it to the next friend just to mess with the system.

About all I have any reasonable expectation of controlling or at least I hope I have some sort of control over is what is really solely mine. My thoughts and the right to think about whatever I want. My face - I'd hate to see my visage appear as part of an ad for cat food or on the news with some smug announcer saying the culprit looks something like this guy...

I don't want an insurance company basing my premiums on the probability of me developing early onset Alzheimer's based on my DNA submitted to genealogy.com to find out if I am related to Attila the Hun.

My fingerprints are mine. I don't want to routinely use my fingerprints to validate a credit card purchase, log into my computer or vote. Keep your bloody hands off my stuff. Keep your bloody hands off me. There has to be another way. I don't let random people fondle and take pictures of my testicles so why would anyone think that my other body parts are fair game? It is overwhelmingly frightening to spend an hour or two contemplating just how much people you don't know, know about you. Nothing is private anymore. The government may not be allowed in the bedrooms of the nation (yeah right) but we let that damned Nintendo all seeing eye thing watch our every move just so we don't have to use a joystick to play a game.

I'm sorry, the DR has no right to be giving the biometric data of non American citizens to the US Government. The DR shouldn't be giving data collected about someone to anyone else unless they have secured permission to do so. If this goes ahead, someone needs to file a lawsuit and try to stop it. But alas, that would mean having to put down the tankard of pilsner and letting go of the spandex for awhile.

It is truly easier to just give up and roll over. It's no wonder that most people have long since given up and given in. Me I'm going down fighting...keep your hands off my testicles and leave my DNA right where it is! Uncle Sam, screw with your own people, leave the rest of us alone. We didn't vote for you, you didn't ask us if we want to be a part of your jack booted thuggery. Remember, you may be able to muster an army of almost 400 million conscripted lap dogs, but we have 6 billion 600 thousand to draw from. You will push too far some day and we will come for you and you will lose.

There I feel better. Alexa, what time is it in Mongolia?

Last edited:

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
So, why was Rosario's visa cancelled? I have not seen a cogent explanation.

Take this for what it is worth;
My wife said that Rosario was being pressured by the US government to give birth certificates and citizenship to Haitians. Rosario told them to mind their own business and they will do what they want in the DR. So the US cancelled his visa. Just rumor, I have found nothing to substantiate that.