Opening old posting - what's the problem

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I noticed two threads closed and the Moderator, in this case Bronxboy giving the poster **** for opening an old posting. If the thread is still open what's the big deal with commenting on it?

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I noticed two threads closed and the Moderator, in this case Bronxboy giving the poster **** for opening an old posting. If the thread is still open what's the big deal with commenting on it?

Think this is the first time I've agreed with anything you've said ;).

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
haven't you learned by now that the mods can do whatever they want as this is not gods little acre. as you say above, they can give out **** but not take it and for saying that, this post will probably be deleted and i'll be gone on vacation but thats ok, it will be 6 consecutive years in a row that i have had a time out. and for speaking my mind, i feel good about it.

I'll leave it open. Good reminder for the mods to keep hammering you with infraction points for making ridiculous posts.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If I?m thinking of the same poster, I think the point was the person commented inane things on around a dozen posts, not just a a few. He asked him to stop doing it and when that didn?t happen he warned the poster and closed a few.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Wow, you folks really need another hobby, what happened they ran out of BINGO cards at that Canadian bar?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
If I?m thinking of the same poster, I think the point was the person commented inane things on around a dozen posts, not just a a few. He asked him to stop doing it and when that didn?t happen he warned the poster and closed a few.

Thats correct.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Bob,

Do you ever want to get back to be able to post at OT again?

This isn't the road to it.......FFT!

I have a life, so not a problem, however this is a genuine question. There are literally thousands of threads and many older ones not closed. If a newer members comes on and reads one of these open threads then comments on it, so what, it could still be relevant.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a life, so not a problem, however this is a genuine question. There are literally thousands of threads and many older ones not closed. If a newer members comes on and reads one of these open threads then comments on it, so what, it could still be relevant.

You're still missing the point. When a newbie joins and starts reopening old threads with one line answers, it raises possible spammer flags, as they want to build post count so they can start posting links. The same poster also has a second ID, another red flag.

There are things you can't see, behind the scenes, that mods can.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You're still missing the point. When a newbie joins and starts reopening old threads with one line answers, it raises possible spammer flags, as they want to build post count so they can start posting links. The same poster also has a second ID, another red flag.

There are things you can't see, behind the scenes, that mods can.

So, just close the threads if they aren't active after a given, and reasonable time period.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
So, just close the threads if they aren't active after a given, and reasonable time period.

but then, it would not make sense either. people post valid updates on older threads too.

but there is something that could help you deal with all this:

169ltef.gif

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Nothing quite as absurd as a Zombie thread. By the time one notices they are answering a question that is 4 years old after they have answered it it is too late. They all should die after 2 years or some arbitrary time. Maybe readable after that, but not being resurrectable. Most questions by tat time are no longer valid, whether about bus schedules, or over stay fees or should I kiss my newest girlfriend?
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
domjoe opened an old thread about Rocky/Marco. His time here preceded mine. I could feel the love when people referenced him. Now I know why. That was a nice thread.