Avocado - again

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
So I have a bunch of diffrent varieties of avocado trees.

My question is on*inerto ones. I kind of understand they are grafted.
Supposedly better tasting avocados, more avocados, less time between planting and fruit growing, diffrent seasons, less prone to,disease.....
As opposed to the*crello,,ie " *natural" *trees , one that u grow from a seed.

Anyway, one of my trees has been giving fruit for 3 years or more. A branch has sprouted, say a year or 2 ago. Diffrent bark, diffrent colour, diffrent avocados !!!
Locals tell me its the*crello part growing and if I dont cut that branch, the*inerto part will die off....

Is this true ? Should I cut off this big branch ?

Thanks all.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I know injerto taste worse (lol) but yes grow faster and criolla taste better and are natural grown from seed. Campo folks here tell me yes you have part criolla and part injerto and keep them both as that way you have two sorts of avocados from one tree - it won't make the injerto part die they say.

Matilda

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
My question is on*inerto ones. I kind of understand they are grafted.
Supposedly better tasting avocados, more avocados, less time between planting and fruit growing, diffrent seasons, less prone to,disease.....

Criollos taste far better than injertos.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Technically you should cut the mother tree branches back to stimulate the one you are trying to reproduce. Fruit from seeds can take from 7 to 10 years to fruit whilt an Injerto 3-5 years. * Not all Injertos are the same variety. Its could be, Pollock, Semil-34, Choquette, Dr. Dupuis, and Carla avocados. semil 34 is the most widely grown with Hass second which you never see as they all go for export. * My favorite is the purple criolla. *Production is really low this year due to the drought last year.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I am a novice lol...... i just let everything grow....
Its a bit out of hand as some trees need " props " *as there is so many fruit that the weight breaks the branches !!
Most of them are type 34 but some criolla and some other types too, i like the huge long ones.

On a side note, I declared to all that if i planted a injerto seed, obviously it would grow injerto......
It took me about 4 years to prove myself wrong...lol

Jan 7, 2016
A really easy way to have multiple varieties of avocados on one tree, is to plant 2-3 trees as saplings in ONE HOLE and soon they'll grow into one trunk and produce different varieties of fruit throughout the year. This is commonly done in California with good success.