Going after the Chinese

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
It's a well known secret that Chinese businesses are virtually always cash only businesses, and as such, avoid paying taxes.

In the DGII's quest for more money, they're starting to close these businesses until they pay up.

They're just scratching the surface.

[video=youtube;fe2X-AMk9xA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe2X-AMk9xA[/video]

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Today's news mentioned a chain of Mexican restaurants and a supermarket in SD being shut down for not paying taxes.

A lot of the smaller foreign-owned restaurants in tourist areas are cash-only.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
They have been talking about doing this for months. I recall reading an article in DT where DGII
specifically called out Chinese owned/ operated businesses threatening to close them down if they
did not comply. This comes as no surprise.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There is a place here in Los Jardines, Kibbeh, which is a cash-only restaurant for Lebanese food. Very good, but a shock when they tell a new customer, cash only!.

HB

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Does that make them smart like trump? Every person I have ever known who ran a cash business took advantage to pay as little tax as possible. Many only go into cash biz for that exact reason. In US the government catches up when their ex friends turn them in and the investigations shows they spend lots more than they reported making. Tax fraud will land you in jail. In the DR????? Who knows? In past years in the Florida Keys everyone was in the marijuana business. Years later the government swooped down and jailed owners of large fish houses for tax evasion. Easier to prove than smuggling when you did not catch them in the act. Dominican business owners probably at least as sneaky as Americans or Canadians, eh Bob!!

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
Frequently in Dominican owned restaurants, I am asked if I am paying by cash or credit card. If I pay by cash, there is no cash added to the bill. The mandatory tip is added which I understand that servers frequently never receive.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I thought this thread was about Chinese Merchants in Santo Domingo not paying taxes ?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I thought this thread was about Chinese Merchants in Santo Domingo not paying taxes ?

Now that you mention it... the DGII director says the total will be 50:

http://estampadominicana.com/2016/1...-50-los-negocios-van-cerrar-hoy-barrio-chino/

According to the news report, they've already closed 129 different businesses around town.

Frankly, I'm not surprised at any of this.

The elephant in the room however, is real estate taxes. I'm surprised they haven't gone there yet. (no I'm not)

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Tons of cash only places around, especially doctors.

Back to the OP, they're up to 20 businesses in China Town.

http://www.diariolibre.com/economia...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Dominican "journalism"

Diario Libre obtuvo una lista de veinte negocios pautados para el cierre este jueves y a las 9:00 de la ma?ana ya se le hab?a puesto el letrero de ?clausurado? al Canton Restaurante, M.Y Gourmet y Lirangi Comercial, en la Benito Monci?n, esquina Duarte, en el Barrio Chino.

Those three businesses are near the corner of Duarte and Benito Gonzalez in Chinatown. Benito Monci?n is in Gazcue. Sloppy.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
I totally understand the whole tax collection thing and the need, but these chinatowns all over the world count on this lack of regulation in the not so desired locations like DR. Many Chinese love to live in areas where the weather is not extreme, like Vancouver. The DR would be considered extreme due to heat and storms. The lack of regulation is a draw. At the end it they will just stop coming here. Do they pay taxes in Vancouver, Im sure to the most part but there is no comparison between the two. Taxes in Vancouver are not just lining the pockets of gubmint and oligarchs- services taxes are double here and you still do not get basic things like good schooling, clean water, police, good medical and the electricity is crap plus you must spend $$$$ to supplement a weak system by purchasing inverters, batteries etc. This said, the main reason many consider it livable with all these black eyes, is due to the lack of regulation. Try to regulate like the first world is again the putting lipstick on a pig and sell for the same price as a USDA top grade pig.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The taxes really aren't that much. Just like most countries you are allowed numerous deductions/business expenses that will lower your tax bill. There are some decent/good accountants around that are worth their fee. We pay every three months and the process is easy. Paying the 13th salary is much more onerous for a small business.
EXPAT13 you are not wrong but at the same time it is hard to upgrade services and infrastructure when 90% of the population pays no property tax or income tax, steal electricity and water, pays nothing for garbage collection....ETC.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Caba?a tax rates are fixed. Number of rooms x estimated clients (set by the DGI). Don't worry, the DGI get their share :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I believe this all relates to a misunderstanding of the term "Fortune Cookie" after being translated into Spanish.