Will the USA election outcome have any consequenses for DR ?

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
I was just wondering, since there are obvious ties between the USA government and the DR government, if anybody has any ideas what, if anything, will change right here in the DR...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hopefully they will get rid of that lice Brewster and his "Esposo".

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, the DR will become quite a little bit more populated with Dominicans... :bunny:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What I heard from several Dominicans they think / hope / expect:
- Brewster gone (I thought that would happen no matter who won)
- No more pressure to unify the island
- Less Haitians in DR
- Less threats from Cuba concerning tourism
- Less pressure / influence to liberalize ethical issues (like abortion, same sex marriage, etc.)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
please explain threats from Cuba concerning tourism....

Some dominicans expect Trump to turn back openness to Cuba, not sure based on what, I don't know and am too lazy after 3 hours sleep last night to search for it if he has talked about it, which then would cause tourism from the US to Cuba to not increase.*

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Some dominicans expect Trump to turn back openness to Cuba, not sure based on what, I don't know and am too lazy after 3 hours sleep last night to search for it if he has talked about it, which then would cause tourism from the US to Cuba to not increase.*

Trump has said he will build a wall around Cuba, and reverse obamas , allowing business and tourists access to the communist island, hope he does. I think the answer to the main question, if Trump can, YES the election will have a BIG impact on the DR..........Doc...............

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I was just wondering, since there are obvious ties between the USA government and the DR government, if anybody has any ideas what, if anything, will change right here in the DR...
Like I said on my last post, Yes the election will make changes to the DR. And yes that is DR related, RELAX

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Second warning - deleted by moderator for no DR content

Last edited by a moderator:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of Dominicans having fun on Facebook, creating MEMEs involving Trump and Hippolito , Trump and Danilo, Hillary and Margarita....etc. Some are pretty funny.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Little. The deportations of Dominicans associated with crime will continue as at present.

The drug flow will continue through the country and Caribbean as demand increases in the USA to satisfy an insatiable demand and could even increase if the flow is reduced through the Mexican border, so that is a potential big challenge for the region especially if former drug criminals get repatriated. Without tackling the demand, nothing changes.

I am sure that China will be the big gainers in the Caribbean and Latin America from this result, and I suspect that bi lateral relations and interaction with China will now grow significantly in DR in the coming years as it has done in many other regional and Latin countries at the expense of the USA.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I don't think the DR is at the top of the priority list for a new Administration. Any new change in Government will have some impact down the road.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
You might find some Dominicans going back home , because of fear! But, nyc does have more clout in ny politics, since there are and will continue to be more Dominicans in political office.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I was just reading that many of the Caribbean islands believe that the Trump election will be a real boost to CIP programs.....Citizenship by Investment Programs........and therefore construction of condos and villas.

Perhaps this may lead to a similar interest in DR if adequately promoted. Perhaps more good news for construction in the country.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was just reading that many of the Caribbean islands believe that the Trump election will be a real boost to CIP programs.....Citizenship by Investment Programs........and therefore construction of condos and villas.

Perhaps this may lead to a similar interest in DR if adequately promoted. Perhaps more good news for construction in the country.

some caribbean territories do *not want too much CIP. they do not want North Americans and Europeans recolonizing their countries.

Apr 7, 2014
A real estate mogul with new territory to explore on Cuba with ultra luxury condos and hotels? He will have Carte Blanche with Cuba to develop the entire tourism and hotel industry in less than 5 years. Who needs DR with excessive corruption and incompetence?

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
some caribbean territories do *not want too much CIP. they do not want North Americans and Europeans recolonizing their countries.

You just have to scan around the regional press today to quickly realize that many countries are expecting a windfall and from not only USA the citizens now making enquiries after the result but from everywhere too including persons from Asia.

Most Caribbean countries encourage migration of those with the required financial means whether it be called CIP or otherwise. DR is no different and is attracting a large Latin inflow and this is likely to increase with the anti Latino sentiment by the President elect.

I don't know about Jamaica but that is just one country in the Caribbean, but I know Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis and SVG, St Lucia and Dominica are hopeful. And the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and BVG are always welcoming to the financially sound.

By the way it is not about recolonizing. It is about providing jobs and means of income to the Exchequer to pay for government and social services without imbalance to society in general.......and without a vote or say in local politics. Do foreign residents have any effect on governance in DR?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You just have to scan around the regional press today to quickly realize that many countries are expecting a windfall and from not only USA the citizens now making enquiries after the result but from everywhere too including persons from Asia.

Most Caribbean countries encourage migration of those with the required financial means whether it be called CIP or otherwise. DR is no different and is attracting a large Latin inflow and this is likely to increase with the anti Latino sentiment by the President elect.

I don't know about Jamaica but that is just one country in the Caribbean, but I know Antigua and Barbuda, St Kitts and Nevis and SVG, St Lucia and Dominica are hopeful. And the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos and BVG are always welcoming to the financially sound.

By the way it is not about recolonizing. It is about providing jobs and means of income to the Exchequer to pay for government and social services without imbalance to society in general.......and without a vote or say in local politics. Do foreign residents have any effect on governance in DR?

i did not mention Jamaica. i did not even think of them. i know that up to a few years back, Trinidad and Tobago were taking steps to stem the ingress of Europeans into their country.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

when foreigners can tell locals that they cannot get access to places like beaches, they have recolonized.