Anti-blackout protest backs up traffic

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Always good to be reminded where we are. *Glad I was not arriving from SDQ today.

Anti-blackout protest backs up traffic on major highway

Santo Domingo.- Shattered car windows, torched tires, trash on the roadway early Monday backed up traffic for several kilometers hours on the Las Americas highway, from protests against *the constant and prolonged blackouts

Residents of sectors near Las Americas Airport set out at 5pm to protest the lack of power, and backed up traffic on the busy highway that links Santo Domingo to the East region.

Many of the rioters who set tires afire, hurled stones and other objects onto the highway covered their faces. They shattered the windows of several vehicles.

National Police antiriot agents arrived in several vehicles to disperse the protest, while residents told local media that similar disturbances occurred over the weekend.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...out-protest-backs-up-traffic-on-major-highway

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Always good to be reminded where we are. *Glad I was not arriving from SDQ today.

Anti-blackout protest backs up traffic on major highway

Santo Domingo.- Shattered car windows, torched tires, trash on the roadway early Monday backed up traffic for several kilometers hours on the Las Americas highway, from protests against *the constant and prolonged blackouts

Residents of sectors near Las Americas Airport set out at 5pm to protest the lack of power, and backed up traffic on the busy highway that links Santo Domingo to the East region.

Many of the rioters who set tires afire, hurled stones and other objects onto the highway covered their faces. They shattered the windows of several vehicles.

National Police antiriot agents arrived in several vehicles to disperse the protest, while residents told local media that similar disturbances occurred over the weekend.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/lo...out-protest-backs-up-traffic-on-major-highway

When is the DR government going to ever get this problem under control. Clean water and fluid electric supply should be a no brainer as to being top priorities for the Gov.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
First there has to be the will to implement a reliable water/electricity distribution system.
Second, there needs to be the technical knowledge to plan a robust system*
Third, there needs to be the money to make it happen
Fourth, there needs to be the will, technical knowledge and the money to maintain the system.
Fifth, there needs to be a clear set of written and enforced minimum standards of practice.

The current system is a patchwork scheme that reminds me of my circuit breaker panel. You'll know they are serious when they provide a common ground wire for hookups and start burying electrical distribution cables to prevent storm, tree and human damage.

Until then, the problem is just too big for anyone to stick their neck out