Customs at POP

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I'm thinking about buying a small 28" LCD TV in the US and have a friend of mine who will be coming down before Christmas bring it with him to POP. It costs $150. He's going to take it out of the box and put it in a checked bag.

In the past, myself and others have never had any problems bringing in things like laptops, etc that were for personal use. Also, if I remember correctly, in the past you were allowed to bring in items up to a total of $300 without paying any taxes.

I've heard that customs at POP is now scanning all baggage from arriving passergers. Does anyone have any idea if this would be a problem or, if he did have to pay taxes, how much they might be?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Last I heard that was $200 without paying import duty, but I am not an expert on the subject. Keep it in the box and don't be cagey about it and he'll be oK.
Der Fish

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If by a fluke they do find it tell your friend to say it is a computer monitor. There is no tax on that. They don't know the difference. It happened to me once and no charge.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
What is the allowance amount for returning Citizens and Residents on the back of the Custom?s form? (Not the Christmas allowance for those out of the country 6 months and longer)

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
What is the allowance amount for returning Citizens and Residents on the back of the Custom?s form? (Not the Christmas allowance for those out of the country 6 months and longer)

Last time I checked it was $300. There is a $200 tax exemption for items shipped to the DR.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Never a Custom?s form around when you need one. lol
Anybody at the airport with their cell phone?

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I'm thinking about buying a small 28" LCD TV in the US and have a friend of mine who will be coming down before Christmas bring it with him to POP. It costs $150. He's going to take it out of the box and put it in a checked bag.

In the past, myself and others have never had any problems bringing in things like laptops, etc that were for personal use. Also, if I remember correctly, in the past you were allowed to bring in items up to a total of $300 without paying any taxes.

I've heard that customs at POP is now scanning all baggage from arriving passergers. Does anyone have any idea if this would be a problem or, if he did have to pay taxes, how much they might be?

I brought one in September without a problem.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Last I heard that was $200 without paying import duty, but I am not an expert on the subject. Keep it in the box and don't be cagey about it and he'll be oK.
Der Fish

That's exactly what I have done. I had no issues at all. But ya never know.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Der Fish

Agree, keep it in the box. I can't speak on POP but SDQ this time of year seems like every other person is bringing in a TV in the box and not hidden in their luggage. I have never seen anyone get pulled to the side to go off somewhere and pay taxes. For the most part people seem to be bringing in 32" in the box TVs.

Forgot to add, if you decide to keep it in the box and not in luggage double check with airline as some do and some don't allow cardboard boxes this time of year. Don't know if they classify a TV box as a cardboard box or not but won't hurt to check first.

Last edited:

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
I just brought one 3 weeks ago. They scanned my bag and then asked me for the receipt which I had and was for $350. They had a conversation with their superior and then I was on my way without paying anything. I had read on the forum, previous advise to always have a receipt. This past week I brought a new printer and they scanned my bag but didn't say a thing so you just never know.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I just brought one 3 weeks ago. They scanned my bag and then asked me for the receipt which I had and was for $350. They had a conversation with their superior and then I was on my way without paying anything. I had read on the forum, previous advise to always have a receipt. This past week I brought a new printer and they scanned my bag but didn't say a thing so you just never know.

That's good to know. So, you brought your TV in your baggage and not in the original box?

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I brought a smaller flat screen in my rollerboard (carry on luggage), no box, no receipt, no problem. They haven't scanned my carry on (only way I travel) for years. I walk to the right of customs and right out the door. So far so good - and it's been 10 years.

But do note that there are no rules here, what works one time doesn't necessarily work the next.

Jan 9, 2004

$500.00 dollars every three months.

They determine the value of the items.....but a receipt may help.

While there is always leeway, those goods by law, MUST be declared on your customs form....to be eligible....should they discover them.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To be honest Cavok, I cannot recall a complaint here about getting caught or charged for an item coming in.
Always a drive by, no cost....box or no box*

Jan 17, 2009
I wouldn't count on the scanner even working. *I came back on November 28 to POP and the scanner wasn't working. *It was clear to me that Xmas season was approaching. *They went through one of my suitcases but when they saw I only had winter clothing, they stopped.

Yet, a poor gringa woman in a wheelchair had all her suitcases searched and almost everything taken out.

No boxes on any US airline at this time of the year. * Make sure your friend checks with the airline ahead of time !

Kathyaa586

Mar 23, 2011
I carried my TV out of the box, just well padded in my suitcase because the box wouldn't fit. I was worried that it would make it OK, but there was no problems. I figured it was better to have the receipt if it was asked for and in my case it was.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Your best bet is for your friend to call the airline to find out what the restrictions are in carrying on a TV in a cardboard box. You may not be able to carry it on and you may have to pay extra for bringing it. On the DR end whatever you decide to do, make sure your friend brings the receipt with him just in case he needs to show that to customs.