banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Aparta Hotel Roma II
C/ 19 de Marzo Esq. Conde
Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom.
Tel. 809-685-2022

Rates as low as $45 a night.

Have you or anyone on the board actually stayed at the Roma II ?? If so,
please elaborate the good, bad or ugly. Thanks.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
...was there a problem using an existing thread for my question? or perhaps
you are just having a slow day as moderator...

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
...was there a problem using an existing thread for my question? or perhaps
you are just having a slow day as moderator...

You have to understand my humor.

Anyway, hopefully your question will be answered.

Smile a bit...................

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
the aparta hotel roma is in a good location ...reasonable clean ....and not very expensive ...they have decent security ...someone 24 hours on the door and if needed you can park right outside the front door at night

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
The Roma and Roma II are my preferred hotels while I am in the zona colonial. The rooms are huge. The beds big and clean. WiFi, Cable, Flatscreen TV small. AC sometimes two ceiling fans a fridge. Always hot water clean shower and towels. for like 45US a night. Or sometimes for smaller room 35US. I like both of them. I highly recommend either of them. They let you in with a guest at all hours of the night. Not too much noise late at night. Never had a problem with theft. Always left a nice tip for cleaning upon check out. Hotel holds your luggage if necessary after checkout until you leave that day, Staff were always really good to me. The location allows perfect for enjoying the area. I luvs the Romas. :)

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Oh PS if you need to know more feel free to ask. I am very familiar with both. Also be prepared depending at which Roma you are at to have to shuttle (Walk To) to the other if you intend to use a credit card. Only one of the Romas has the machine. That was the case last time I was there couple months ago. Both take cash.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I tried the Roma hotel once and it was quite enough. The whole place is geared up for bringing back chicas or chicos depending on your taste. I stayed, wanting to be on my own, and was constantly harassed by the security guards and receptionists asking if I wanted company. There was a lot of noise as people clattered up and down the corridors and the putas were negotiating to get more money. A lot of activity from other guests all night. The rooms are big, but the furniture is basic. Some have little kitchens but the one I saw looked sad and old. The other issue is that my room looked onto the street and it was very noisy. I had taxi drivers chatting outside my window from about 4am, so just when the party noise died down, they took over. There are a lot of newer hotels in the Colonial Zone. Roma has been there a long time but I think hasn't moved with the times and now is a bit outdated.

I know hotels in the Colonial Zone well (I own one). At the same price point as Roma I would recommend Portes 5, it's a really nice little place. Big rooms, very hot water, clean, quiet and a very nice breakfast. There's a roof terrace and a hot tub if you want to catch some sun. I think it's fine to take people back there, just leave their ID at the reception. Another option, slightly more expensive, is Palacio, they also allow you to bring people back if you leave their ID. Big rooms, well run, nice place. A final recommendation at that price point is Casa Conde, they often do rooms cheap cheap cheap and they have a bar restaurant downstairs. They are close to Pacos. If you email any of these direct, they will probably discount on their published rates. Always worth remembering that Hotels.com and Booking.com do not allow you to sell cheaper than their rates online, but you can discount for a walk-in or a customer who emails you. So if you email the hotel direct and ask for a discount, you'll usually get a better price than they are selling at online.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
At the same price point as Roma I would recommend Portes 5

[...] A final recommendation at that price point is Casa Conde, they often do rooms cheap cheap cheap and they have a bar restaurant downstairs.

it's not Portes 5 but Portes 9; and Casa Conde now is named Savoy Hotel Boutique, and the bar restaurant downstairs is closed

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I tried the Roma hotel once and it was quite enough. The whole place is geared up for bringing back chicas or chicos depending on your taste. I stayed, wanting to be on my own, and was constantly harassed by the security guards and receptionists asking if I wanted company. There was a lot of noise as people clattered up and down the corridors and the putas were negotiating to get more money. A lot of activity from other guests all night. The rooms are big, but the furniture is basic. Some have little kitchens but the one I saw looked sad and old. The other issue is that my room looked onto the street and it was very noisy. I had taxi drivers chatting outside my window from about 4am, so just when the party noise died down, they took over. There are a lot of newer hotels in the Colonial Zone. Roma has been there a long time but I think hasn't moved with the times and now is a bit outdated.

I know hotels in the Colonial Zone well (I own one). At the same price point as Roma I would recommend Portes 5, it's a really nice little place. Big rooms, very hot water, clean, quiet and a very nice breakfast. There's a roof terrace and a hot tub if you want to catch some sun. I think it's fine to take people back there, just leave their ID at the reception. Another option, slightly more expensive, is Palacio, they also allow you to bring people back if you leave their ID. Big rooms, well run, nice place. A final recommendation at that price point is Casa Conde, they often do rooms cheap cheap cheap and they have a bar restaurant downstairs. They are close to Pacos. If you email any of these direct, they will probably discount on their published rates. Always worth remembering that Hotels.com and Booking.com do not allow you to sell cheaper than their rates online, but you can discount for a walk-in or a customer who emails you. So if you email the hotel direct and ask for a discount, you'll usually get a better price than they are selling at online.

Hotel El Conde de Penalba at the end of Conde in Columbus Square. Great location, great outdoor cafe. The rooms are nothing fancy but are large and reasonably priced. Asked for one with a balcony. Great place to for people watching. Good food at the cafe.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

I tried the Roma once and it was OK. But lets talk about safety. Obviously we are talking about a cheap accommodation. Whether its here or at Casa Conde or any other $30- $50 per night hotel in the area. How safe are they? How well are you valuables and belongings protected? The locks on the room doors are flimsy at best. in addition the room safe(Caja Fuerte) has a master key? Tell me do you feel safe there? Lets hear the others thoughts on this very important subject.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Sorry you are absolutely right it's Portes 9. I didn't realise about Casa Conde changing its name and closing the bar, so thanks for updating me.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I tried the Roma once and it was OK. But lets talk about safety. Obviously we are talking about a cheap accommodation. Whether its here or at Casa Conde or any other $30- $50 per night hotel in the area. How safe are they? How well are you valuables and belongings protected? The locks on the room doors are flimsy at best. in addition the room safe(Caja Fuerte) has a master key? Tell me do you feel safe there? Lets hear the others thoughts on this very important subject.

I would feel completely safe in Portes 9, it's only got a few rooms (six I think) and isn't the kind of place that you tend to get a lot of hustlers. I wouldn't feel at all safe in Roma because it is chica and chico central at the weekends, and those kinds of locals tend to bring a lot of problems with them. My advice would be that if you are on a budget, go for a smaller place and try to find one which isn't aiming at the sleazy market. It's much better to keep the thieves completely out of the building than to rely on a hotel door lock or room safe.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I have stayed at Hotel Casa Conde (now called Savoy hotel boutique) and hotel conde de Peralba. They are both safe and well located. Never had any issues with thefts.