Renting car

Sam1981

Jan 1, 2017
Is it possible to rent cars or ATVs without a credit card in my name. I only have a Visa debit.

I know budget and eurocar do not. Maybe some of the smaller chains do? I have enough for a significant deposit.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Is it possible to rent cars or ATVs without a credit card in my name. I only have a Visa debit.

I know budget and eurocar do not. Maybe some of the smaller chains do? I have enough for a significant deposit.

Yes it is, I have done this without issues. Despite the lack of credit card, I would be careful with the deposit.

Depending on where you're located, I could possibly give a recommendation.

Sam1981

Jan 1, 2017
Yes it is, I have done this without issues. Despite the lack of credit card, I would be careful with the deposit.

Depending on where you're located, I could possibly give a recommendation.
Thanks! I'm thinking Punta Cana or Santo Domingo.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Some will ask for your passport as a guarantee. Do NOT give it to them. No matter what.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I have rented in both Punta Cana and Santiago using only my debit card (Europcar). The same rules applied as if I were using a credit card. Maybe I was just lucky, but it's worth a try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You will not have a problem renting a car in PC with a Debit card. There are tons of car rentals there, if one does not take Debit cards just go to another. Most of them will take it.

Jan 7, 2016
Agree with Kate...never give your actual passport to anyone here in the D.R. Make sure you have adequate color copies of the Face Page of your passport to present so they can see you're legit. Once you arrive here, make sure your passport is locked either in your safe in your room or in the safe of hotel/resort you're staying-in.

alice121

Dec 28, 2016

I don't think so it is possible

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
When you rent the car make sure you look over the vehicle very carefully as to any dents, scratches on the body. Take pictures with your cell phone if necessary and take the optional insurance coverage. It will be well worth it if you have problem and someone hits you. Good luck and good travels. Remember they also add additional taxes of, I believe, 18% to your bill total. The price they have advertised per day does not include the taxes or addtional insurance coverage. Buyer beware!!!!!!

Sam1981

Jan 1, 2017
Thanks for the replies. Can anyone recommend a specific place in Punta Cana?.. I have emailed quite a few different places and they all say a credit card is mandatory.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you are at the airport in Punta Cana all the rental car companies are on one section. You will definitely find one that will rent to you there.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The BEST Deals are had OUTSIDE the Airport... this applies to all airports, I dont think there are any exceptions to this
.. I am not familiar with Punta Cana however..
Best of luck, and as said ,whatever you do , do NOT leave your passport under any circumstances .. No car is worth that potential hassle .

and btw ,Ive paid FULL price inside Airports and had friends ho have done same
.. with FULL boat Insurance, and when I returned the Car ,they still demanded to go over every inch of the car for scratches .. which Im sure if they found one , I would have been charged .. I guess this is all part of the " deductible" Scam these guys are so famous for, so be careful,, document any and all scratches before you pull out of the lot .