rules regarding numbers

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/01/13/los-dominicanos-son-carne-por-excelencia

i have noticed this before but an article above reminded me i wanted to ask about it. what are the rules regarding writing numbers in spanish?

dos millones 295,803 quintales de carne de res o vaca, dos millones 470,749 quintales de cerdo y siete millones 480,647 quintales de pollo

why a singular number is written both in words (dos millones) and digits (295,803)?
why not 2,295,803?

is there a rule that decides this?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another thing........is there no word for billions? *I see "one thousand million" and it makes me stop and blink a few times. *

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"nothing that would explain the way they were written in the article i linked"

I have an explanation... DR, Education, Dom. Journalists, bla bla bla... :cool:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/01/13/los-dominicanos-son-carne-por-excelencia

i have noticed this before but an article above reminded me i wanted to ask about it. what are the rules regarding writing numbers in spanish?

dos millones 295,803 quintales de carne de res o vaca, dos millones 470,749 quintales de cerdo y siete millones 480,647 quintales de pollo

why a singular number is written both in words (dos millones) and digits (295,803)?
why not 2,295,803?

is there a rule that decides this?

I have never seen numbers written that way in Spanish nor have I ever seen a rule to support writing the numbers that way. I can't think of a reason to justify writing them like that either. Could it be what they are referring to? Who knows. The article is from El Caribe which is not a high grade newspaper. Have you seen numbers written that way in any other Dominican paper?

Look at the numbers in this article.

http://www.listindiario.com/el-depo...smo-con-el-suspendido-dominicano-jenrry-mejia

After a billion both in English and Spanish I don't really pay attention. How often will one ever use a trillion? However, a billion is mil millones.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I have never seen numbers written that way in Spanish nor have I ever seen a rule to support writing the numbers that way. I can't think of a reason to justify writing them like that either. Could it be what they are referring to? Who knows. The article is from El Caribe which is not a high grade newspaper. Have you seen numbers written that way in any other Dominican paper?

thanks.

yeah, el caribe is notoriously bad when it comes to grammar, syntax and writing in general.

i know i have seen the numbers written in the same way many times before but i don't know what newspapers were the culprit, i read so many news sources every day.

i will pay special attention and check articles from economy section that are more likely to contain numbers. will report back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
examples from hoy:
http://hoy.com.do/bs-proyecta-coloc...iciar-a-112721-micros-y-pequenos-empresarios/
Record? que durante el pasado a?o 2016, a trav?s de BS recibieron financiamiento 98 mil 894 micros y peque?os empresarios, para lo cual se desembolsaron RD$4,582 millones.

and: http://hoy.com.do/primas-seguros-crecen-13-46cobra-36-mil-mm-2/
El superintendente de Seguros, Euclides Guti?rrez F?lix, afirm? que pese a situaciones adversas que afectaron al pa?s, el a?o pasado las primas de seguro subieron 13.46% en relaci?n al 2015, con monto cobrado de RD$36 millones 378 mil 543 hasta noviembre pasado.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I found an article in a Colombian newspaper that was written in 2013 by Fundeu BBVA (a language institution on the level of the RAE in my opinion). There have been changes to the rules and it explains the word and number combination you see in newspapers but according to the rules the examples in the newspapers you gave are not quite right.*

The numbers in the article in Listin Diario I posted are correct.*

I want to research some more and get onto my laptop so I can post the link. I will be back later on today.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I found an article in a Colombian newspaper that was written in 2013 by Fundeu BBVA (a language institution on the level of the RAE in my opinion). There have been changes to the rules and it explains the word and number combination you see in newspapers but according to the rules the examples in the newspapers you gave are not quite right.*

The numbers in the article in Listin Diario I posted are correct.*

I want to research some more and get onto my laptop so I can post the link. I will be back later on today.

-MP.

Here is the link. I recommend that you read the article. However, the paragraph that sheds light on your questions I outlined below.

http://www.eltiempo.com/archivo/documento/CMS-12517306
Se puede combinar cifra y palabra en millones (7 millones de personas) y billones (12 billones de pesos), pero no en miles (no conviene escribir 15 mil personas , sino quince mil o 15.000 personas).
What I bolded is what I find incorrect about the article from Hoy Digital.

I also noticed that the article has billones and not mil millones. Interesting.

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
MP, thank you so much for addressing my question and doing the research.

in simple terms, it's these journalist who are dumb, not me?

i looked at few listin diario articles (in my opinion their writing is of best quality) and they adhere to rules.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
MP, thank you so much for addressing my question and doing the research.

in simple terms, it's these journalist who are dumb, not me?

i looked at few listin diario articles (in my opinion their writing is of best quality) and they adhere to rules.
No problem. I think it's important to understand it and especially for those of us who have an involvement in Spanish that requires being aware of rule changes such as these. However, following the traditional rules is still acceptable but as of 2013 the rules outlined in the article allow for the flexibility that you see.

The only Dominican newspaper I read when I do read one is List?n Diario. It has been my Dominican newspaper of choice for years. I used to read El Siglo until it went out of circulation. The other three popular papers: El Caribe, El Nacional and Hoy Digital are not good in terms of writing skills. Out of those three I think Hoy Digital is the best but really they are not good examples of journalism. The newspaper sticky in the forum gives suggestions but really when one is used to reading a high standard it's hard to read other papers. Newspapers like El Pa?s from Spain, El Observador from Uruguay, El Universal from Venezuela, and El Universo from Ecuador just to name a few are examples of well-written newspapers in Spanish which I read daily.

Back to numbers with the understanding of the rule the Dominican paper still made a mistake but you can combine letters and numbers when expressing millions and billions but it's not recommended for thousands.

-MP.

Last edited: