fly fishing

Scott Potter

Mar 6, 2002
Does anyone out there have any good information about freshwater or saltwater fly fishing. I am going to be in Cabarate March 29-April 6

Thank you.

fuzzcouple

Mar 6, 2002
Hi Scott,
I have not been able to find any info on freshwater fly fishing.(I know there is some there)
We plan to take along our gear and do some surf fly fishing.
Figured bright color floating streamers and the like would work!
Were leaving on 3/13 Punta Cana.
Will post to you if we find anymore info.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Fly Fishing is not seen very often in the DR. Whenever I do it I always seem to attract a crowd.
If you are going to go fly fishing from the beach I would sugest Clauser Minnows and lefty's decievers. patterns combing white with Chartruse or Light blue seems to work best for me. Pavk strong mono leaders and some wire leaders as some of the fish you will encounter from shore will be of the Toothy kind.
As for freshwater fly fishing pack some darker colors. Topwater flies can be used during the cool early morning hours. As the Temp. rises the Bass head deeper to avoid the heat.
Bring as much equipment that you think you will need as their is no place on the Island that I know of that carries flyfihing goods.
Good luck!

Tony C.

fuzzcouple

Mar 6, 2002
Thank's Tony,
Clouser Minnows and Lefty's Decievers are very familiar to me, In fact I was in Clousers fly shop last week. Their some of the best universal flies I've ever used, Fairly easy to tie.
Do you recomend any beaches in Punta? for fishing?
I'm kind of fishing on a whim, as I know nothing about the waters there. (just not sure I can be away from the fly rod for more than a week)
Any recomendations appreciated!

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Fuzz,

I have only fished PC a few times so I am no expert. I suggest just walking along the beach till you find a empty spot. Wade out a bit and cast towards the barrier reef. If lucky you should find at least some jacks or a Cuda' or 2. If you have access to some transportation you can try a river mouth for Snook or Tarpon. PC is not the Best area in the DR for inshore flyfishing but bad fishing is better than no fishing at all, I say!
Let me know how you do and Good luck.

Tony C.

Wisetrout

Jan 18, 2007
Flyfishing in DR

Can anybody give be advise on where to flyfish from the beaches in DR. I will be going in March.

Thanks,
Mark