No more laptops during the flight?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Google translation:
SCHIPHOL - The Dutch Traffic Controls Association (VNV) sees the ban on laptops and tablets in the hand luggage on flights to the United States. The UN expects the Americans to announce a ban on the use of laptops, e-readers and tablets aboard aircraft on the way from the EU to the US within a few days.

In March, the government of US President Donald Trump announced a ban on electronic equipment in hand luggage from a number of Arab and Turkish airports. The Americans fear that terrorists can hide explosives in electronics. America would now also want to force European airlines to transport the electronics together in a container in the freight space.

A UN spokesperson says to the NOS that there are major risks of transporting electronics with lithium batteries. If one of the devices is on fire, the crew can not extinguish the fire during flight. In addition, terrorists can also explode an explosive in the freight space, the UNSC argues.

This week, American and European top officials are discussing US requirements. The UN lobbying at ministries in The Hague to prevent the US from imposing the laptop ban on European aviation.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/digitaal/28170697/__Piloten_NL_tegen_laptopverbod__.html

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Might fuel the entrepreneurial spirit of battery designers to come up with a different technology. Meanwhile , the terrorists will win another battle in the war of fear and disruption.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I for one am getting just a little tired of being the beta tester for new passenger restrictions. If those ion sniffer machines cannot sniff out explosives contained in a 4 mm thick tablet why do they insist on swabbing my hands sometimes twice before I get to the lounge? The new x-ray machines and body scanners were touted as being the cat's meow and would save us all from ourselves. What happened?

I can see this as prelude to "you need to rent one of our tablets on this flight to watch the movie." It's time to focus on security measures that don't take away from the flying experience and measures that do not directly inconvenience the majority of the travelling public.

Yes I guess everyone deserves the opportunity to fly. Some of the more ill tempered passengers who can't sit still without fighting, getting abusively drunk or peeing everywhere else in the bathroom except the toilet, probably should be banned from all flights for 10 years. That'll teach them to lose the attitude and behave.

Sure let's put all the exploding tablets and laptops together in the cargo hold where no one can can to them. I trust an airline employee or ground handler to pack my tech so that the screen is still intact when we get to the other end. I can see it now, loaded into a container after a Frisbee toss or two between uncaring apathetic ramp rats who probably can't resist the temptation to walk off with the gadget or slip "something" in the case in the first place.

Talk to your passengers while they are checking in. See if their travelling story and itinerary makes sense. Take this opportunity to explain the rules; Your 8 hour old child needs to sit in your lap, your monster backpack can't be declared as carry on, that stroller can only be used as far as the door of the plane, it can be chilly at 35,000 feet, "you might wish to put on some clothes that cover more than the bikini you are wearing", you can use your laptop to entertain yourself in a way that doesn't disturb your neighbor, not everyone enjoys Biggy Small at 80 decibels for 4.5 hours straight, you must remove the battery from your phone - nobody likes you sticking it in their face to capture them picking their nose because you think the twitterverse will get a laugh and it doesn't work at altitude anyways.

It seems to me that a lot of these so called new and improved security measures are nothing more than the product of a bunch of tired bureaucrats who need to come up with something new every few months so that they appear to justify their existence. People tend to eventually ruin everything and between the airlines themselves, the travelling public and the Govt., any enjoyment of flying is being sucked out faster than a by a hole in the fuselage. Eventually, someone is going to propose that all passengers be put to sleep, stacked one on top of each other and only woken up when they and their luggage are doing circles on the conveyor belt in the arrivals area.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I flew a lot as a travelling salesman with bag loads of tech gear. I cannot say I enjoyed the flights back then, but for certain I can now say that I do not enjoy flying. Mad bombers will always come up with a way to be mad bombers.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I for one am getting just a little tired of being the beta tester for new passenger restrictions. If those ion sniffer machines cannot sniff out explosives contained in a 4 mm thick tablet why do they insist on swabbing my hands sometimes twice before I get to the lounge? The new x-ray machines and body scanners were touted as being the cat's meow and would save us all from ourselves. What happened?

I can see this as prelude to "you need to rent one of our tablets on this flight to watch the movie." It's time to focus on security measures that don't take away from the flying experience and measures that do not directly inconvenience the majority of the travelling public.

Yes I guess everyone deserves the opportunity to fly. Some of the more ill tempered passengers who can't sit still without fighting, getting abusively drunk or peeing everywhere else in the bathroom except the toilet, probably should be banned from all flights for 10 years. That'll teach them to lose the attitude and behave.

Sure let's put all the exploding tablets and laptops together in the cargo hold where no one can can to them. I trust an airline employee or ground handler to pack my tech so that the screen is still intact when we get to the other end. I can see it now, loaded into a container after a Frisbee toss or two between uncaring apathetic ramp rats who probably can't resist the temptation to walk off with the gadget or slip "something" in the case in the first place.

Talk to your passengers while they are checking in. See if their travelling story and itinerary makes sense. Take this opportunity to explain the rules; Your 8 hour old child needs to sit in your lap, your monster backpack can't be declared as carry on, that stroller can only be used as far as the door of the plane, it can be chilly at 35,000 feet, "you might wish to put on some clothes that cover more than the bikini you are wearing", you can use your laptop to entertain yourself in a way that doesn't disturb your neighbor, not everyone enjoys Biggy Small at 80 decibels for 4.5 hours straight, you must remove the battery from your phone - nobody likes you sticking it in their face to capture them picking their nose because you think the twitterverse will get a laugh and it doesn't work at altitude anyways.

It seems to me that a lot of these so called new and improved security measures are nothing more than the product of a bunch of tired bureaucrats who need to come up with something new every few months so that they appear to justify their existence. People tend to eventually ruin everything and between the airlines themselves, the travelling public and the Govt., any enjoyment of flying is being sucked out faster than a by a hole in the fuselage. Eventually, someone is going to propose that all passengers be put to sleep, stacked one on top of each other and only woken up when they and their luggage are doing circles on the conveyor belt in the arrivals area.

I am a little bit older than some. I remember when laptops had removeable battery packs. Perhaps the design might have to go back to that. I agree with you regarding the inspection of our electronic equipment. What is the purpose of putting laptops through scanners if they really can't determine if a problems exist. Bottom line is that flying more than ever is not a fun and will become more and more a hassle.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Recent reports suggest that terrorists can now create bombs so thin that they cannot be detected by the current X-ray screening that our carry-on bags undergo.

If they can create bombs that thin then there are a million other ways to get one on a plane, they don't need a laptop for that.

In the Dutch media they're talking about a billion dollars in damages and maybe more.
http://www.telegraaf.nl/dft/nieuws_dft/28181354/__Laptopverbod_kost_1_miljard__.html
For the last 15 years I have been avoiding as much as possible flying via the US and I know many personally who have done the same.