Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening a small business

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Opening a small business

How difficult is it to open a small business in the DR for an expat? Do you need to be a permanent resident?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaulin View Post
    How difficult is it to open a small business in the DR for an expat? Do you need to be a permanent resident?
    No, you don't have to be a permanent resident but is difficult for an expat to have a business in the DR. Do you plan to set up the business and have it run by a local?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My plan would be a small business that would be a one man operation (me). I currently run a part-time service business installation of audio/video/surveillance equipment in the states. My wife and I are going to live in the DR on a semi-permanent basis in a couple years when we retire and I wanted to work part-time to help defray expenses.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My plan would be a small business that would be a one man operation (me). I currently run a part-time service business installation of audio/video/surveillance equipment in the states. My wife and I are going to live in the DR on a semi-permanent basis in a couple years when we retire and I wanted to work part-time to help defray expenses.
    Enough victims of crime in the DR so there should be no shortage in prospects but then again there are already quite some companies doing what you wanna do and they're nationals.
    Have you done a market research of the area where you wanna go?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great question that I've thought about. We plan on purchasing something in Cocotal and I would like to focus on serving U.S. and Canadian homeowners since my Spanish is not great. I know there are plenty homeowners from the states at Cocotal and I'm just guessing they may feel more comfortable working with someone from the states. At least that was my thought, but I could be wrong. My first step was to try to get a mailing list of all Cocotal property owners, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. That's how I've done my market research in the States.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just start is my advice. If it Goes well you think about paperwork.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That's a great question that I've thought about. We plan on purchasing something in Cocotal and I would like to focus on serving U.S. and Canadian homeowners since my Spanish is not great. I know there are plenty homeowners from the states at Cocotal and I'm just guessing they may feel more comfortable working with someone from the states. At least that was my thought, but I could be wrong. My first step was to try to get a mailing list of all Cocotal property owners, but I'm not sure how easy that would be. That's how I've done my market research in the States.
    Well you might have an advantage being American when trying to get expat clients but I'm pretty sure some Dominican company close with the developers/owners already contacted the possible clients. Off course you have to check it out because I might be wrong. Start with the sales office if you gonna buy there, ask them what kind of contacts they have and if they have done a lot of work in Cocotal already. Don't tell them that you wanna start such a company, just do your due diligence before.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Just start is my advice. If it Goes well you think about paperwork.
    Yes, that's the Dominican way.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You have to have temporary residency to be able to work legally in the DR. This process starts in your home country with documents submitted to the DR Consulate and then continues in the DR. If you are planning on living in the DR for only part of the year than opening a small business is not a good idea. It is difficult for a "gringo" to open up a local business but not impossible. If you need to rely on this income to live in the DR than that could be a problem. It may depend where in the DR that you are considering to live. Do you have any Spanish language skills. It is not an easy process. Good luck and good travels.

10. Likes ExDR liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

.. or "partner-up" with a local (expat) that already has a business...just an idea

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast