Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Types of Firearms in the DR

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Types of Firearms in the DR

One of my cats was killed yesterday. Without going into details, it appears to be a gunshot wound with a clean entry hole maybe 3/16" or a tad less in diameter, about the size of a .22. There was no exit wound. There was little blood on the outside and he hemmoraged to death. Prior to the autopsy, the vet could find at least a 6" entry path.

We don't see how anyone could "spike" a cat with such a tiny diameter spear.

We have ordered an autopsy to try to find the bullet, the theory being if it came from a legal firearm we could track the owner. We've had two cats die in the last month, but we never found the other. This cat died in my arms on the way to the vet, who I doubt could have saved him anyway.

I've seen shotguns and 9mm all over the DR. But how common is a .22? I'm not sure I've seen one. A 9mm would have made a much larger hole as well as an exit wound on a cat.

Anybody know?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post

I've seen shotguns and 9mm all over the DR. But how common is a .22? I'm not sure I've seen one. A 9mm would have made a much larger hole as well as an exit wound on a cat.

Anybody know?
    Rifles aren't allowed in DR, but we know of a couple of people with .22 cal rifles within walking distance of our DR house. Since they're illegal [rifle], there would be no ballistic report on them. Different story if it was a handgun.

P.S. Sorry about your kitty, we identify with you.
    Last edited by AlterEgo; 09-26-2017 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Add PS

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would think that anything smaller than a 9mm would be very rare if legal given how hard it is to get and keep a license.

Could it have been from an air pistol shooting a BB or pellet?

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I would think that anything smaller than a 9mm would be very rare if legal given how hard it is to get and keep a license.

Could it have been from an air pistol shooting a BB or pellet?
    Could be. We'll know if the vet finds something. But the entry wound was at least 5-6" deep. Seems to be a lot of power for a pellet gun.

The wound is larger than a BB, and a BB would not have gone that deep.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be. We'll know if the vet finds something. But the entry wound was at least 5-6" deep. Seems to be a lot of power for a pellet gun.

I have had BB/Pellet guns using CO2 that have a very high muzzle velocity. Surprised me how far they would go into a telephone book.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Permission to speak to COBRA on this matter !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????????????????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Any quality pellet rifle can go clean throug a small animal, especially the .177 caliber

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post
    Any quality pellet rifle can go clean throug a small animal, especially the .177 caliber
    If it does not hit Bone , at 1100 fps. yes, perhaps but i still dont think it would do 6" of penetration in soft tissue ... . 800-900 fps.. not a chance .. The New larger caliber Air Rifles with Tank, are a different story, they can kill a Deer .
    I highly doubt a Dominican is playing with one of these.

It was most likely a small caliber bullet , such as .22 rim fire,. possibly sub sonic ammo, which has more than enough mass even at under 1000 fps. At close range though, and to the ground , even full power super sonic .22 rimfire does not make much sound though, Im always surprised about that .. Into grass for example, it makes just a low muffled Pop..

I concur with having a vet doing an autopsy, and get the details and the slug, as intact as possible .

On a VERY short thread...
    Post Thanks / Like

That really sucks, sorry about loss of you pet

A .177 or .22 pellet gun with pointed lead pellet can be over 1000 feet per second, approaching that of a .22 long and exceeding that of a .22 short Certainly enough to kill a small animal

Doubtful bullet deformed much so you should be able to tell if it was a pellet (Most have a conical head and an empty rear area as opposed to the solid mass of a .22 rifle bullet) or bullet Probably stupid neighborhood teens

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IslandDreaming View Post
    That really sucks, sorry about loss of you pet

A .177 or .22 pellet gun with pointed lead pellet can be over 1000 feet per second, approaching that of a .22 long and exceeding that of a .22 short Certainly enough to kill a small animal

Doubtful bullet deformed much so you should be able to tell if it was a pellet (Most have a conical head and an empty rear area as opposed to the solid mass of a .22 rifle bullet) or bullet Probably stupid neighborhood teens
    I had a CO2 pellet gun as a kid, and used the flat head/hollow tail slugs. It did about as much damage as my pump bb gun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast