Thread: Picking bits of food out - LADIES ONLY TO POST

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Picking bits of food out - LADIES ONLY TO POST

I often cook for groups of people and usually Dominicans. At the moment it is almost daily as we are having some construction work done. I try and cook Dominicanish food especially for the guys building as I know if they don't have rice at noon they will die. Today was Jamie Oliver Cajun sausage stew make with lorganiza. Either I cook or my husband does, but before they start to eat, each one of them goes through the plate of food picking bits of food out and when they have finished eating each has a little pile on the side of the plate.

One likes the juice from the beans but not the beans, so he has a pile of beans. Another picks all of the celery out, another all of the red and green peppers, another all of the onions. I can't remember this happening in England - is it just a Dominican thing?

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I would never cook again if I were you. I take things personally

If I were chained in my kitchen and had no choice but to cook, I would cook the most basic thing possible such as vivere (sp ?) or rice and meat/chicken in stew (no fancy celery, nor peppers), slice of avocado for the big eaters. Plus, it is quicker.

Dominicanish won't cut it.

The truth is that I would let a Dominican handle the cooking for the troops.
    Last edited by Africaida; 10-31-2017 at 03:54 PM.

3. Likes Matilda, waytogo, dulce, keepcoming, retiree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I have to eat too and i would get fed up with basic, basic, so we have curries, chicken rice and beans, but I always cook with onions, peppers etc so there are some sorts of vegetables. My husband cooks too - we take it in turns, but anything which isn't meat gets left to one side. I know about taking things personally - but the more they do it, the more things I put in (just to p*ss them off.) Some leave the cucumber out of the salad, some the peas out of the moro. I do lasagne and they pick out the onions and the bits of basil; spaghetti bolognese they pick out the tinned mushrooms, if Danilo uses olives in chicken guisado, those are a defo to be picked out!

Matilda

www.DR1.com

5. Likes waytogo, Africaida, keepcoming liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it’s just picky Dominican men.  Next time give them bread and a can of sardines, lol

Our son also prefers little or no beans, so when he’s here I use a hand blender to puree the whole pot. Daughter picks out guandules. Husband will eat almost anything, except cucumbers and olives (he puts them all on my plate). If I cook with peppers, I dice them, as slivers seem to get left on the plate.  

Grandsons don’t want anything green in their food (parsley, coriander, basil, etc), but I won’t cook without them, so they whine, but they eat.  I tell myself I’m training them for their wives.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes Matilda, waytogo, keepcoming liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
     I tell myself I’m training them for their wives.  
    Love it!

Matilda

www.DR1.com

9. Likes Africaida liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I convinced every Dominican man I cooked for that he loved American food. Not one of them ever left anything on their plate.
    Some of them did offer to cook me Dominican though. My strategy worked.

11. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Husband picks out onions no matter how tiny they are. Surprised at times he finds them. BIL puts ketchup (catsup) on everything, I mean everything (another story). I have witnessed the "picking out food". Like a little "mountain" of food pushed to the side. I always thought if they did not know what it was or didn't like it they picked it out and moved it to the side.

13. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    Husband picks out onions no matter how tiny they are. Surprised at times he finds them. BIL puts ketchup (catsup) on everything, I mean everything (another story). I have witnessed the "picking out food". Like a little "mountain" of food pushed to the side. I always thought if they did not know what it was or didn't like it they picked it out and moved it to the side.

My dad was the same with onions, he liked the flavor but wouldn’t eat them.  Try onion powder, worked for mom.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

15. Likes Matilda, keepcoming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    My dad was the same with onions, he liked the flavor but wouldn’t eat them.  Try onion powder, worked for mom.  
    That is my son, so I overcook them and puree them out of sight (i refuse to cook without onions). He likes the flavor without even knowing.

17. Likes AlterEgo, Matilda liked this post