Anyone seen bird netting anywhere?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Having redone the roof for my palapa and thanks to a loaner tool from a kind DR1 soul, refinished the wooden table underneath. Sat there once and now a flock of sparrow type birds have decided it is prime real estate and taken up residence. I need a tubi for my palapa.

I'm looking for plastic bird netting which is similar to fish netting in appearance. Larger holes than shade cloth for a garden but not so large that smallish birds can wiggle through.

Chances of anyone having needed this before are slim so asking if anyone remembers seeing something like this available somewhere is a long shot. Nothing ventured...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Amazon would probably be your best bet. Not too heavy either I would think.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
My thinking as well and I am about to go looking. Trying to brake the go to Amazon first habit. I think that approach is hindering my adoption of the Dominican way of doing things. :)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My thinking as well and I am about to go looking. Trying to brake the go to Amazon first habit. I think that approach is hindering my adoption of the Dominican way of doing things. :)
Lol been here over 20 years and ever since I met Mr. Amazon, my quality of life has improved immensly!

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know where to start Buster.........

Your idea is for the birds

You're a bird brain

List could get long.....

What about getting a bird feeder - a better alternative for your feathered friends.
They'd go to the 'club' rather than pester you

Next , it'll be turtles invading your pool

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Next , it'll be turtles invading your pool

Haven't seen any turtles but do scoop frogs out from time to time.

I'm thinking smudge pots, smoke the peckers out of the thatching. Maybe the birds won't be bad tenants if they agree to eat spiders and other creepy crawlies.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Hang some old CD's on thin fishing line at various places, the roof, at various lengths, 4 or 5 should do it, depending on the size of your space. It spooks our bats, maybe it would work for your birds.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Haven't had this bird issue before. I watched tonight as the flock returned home at dusk. One after another swooped down and in between the cane leaves at the edge of the roof. I'm sure it won't be long before there are lots of peeps from hungry mouths. I've seen this behavior before at resort buildings with cane roofs.

The little buggers are like kamikaze pilots. They are interesting to watch as they dart all over the place, grabbing mosquitoes and other flying insects, but sooner or later one is going to fly into me and either knock me into the pool or make me drop my beer or both.

Thx for the suggestions everyone.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Don't a lot of resorts put fishing nets over the roof, and also under to stop them congregating on the beams?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Fish nets, CDs , aluminum pie plates.....old beer bottles 

Hang anything you can...

This is your biggest concern these days Buster??

Lucky you !!

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
giphy.gif

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The palapa and the pool are centrepieces of the yard. Not sure the esposa would permit such an egregious assault on the eyes. I would prefer not to hear a tarp flapping in the breeze. But a tarp which I already have would probably work. Maybe I'll slip that into dinner conversation tonight and see how it is received.