Air Transat Club Class?

can2002

Mar 13, 2002
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about the CLub Class seating for Air Transat. I know the basics of what they offer but I wanted to know if others that have used the upgraded service found it to be worth the $$. Also about how much extra did others have to pay to get this upgrade (return trip)?? Thanks.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
It's a Small Fee for More Comfort (Lousy Service though)

I have flown CC on AT twice - once I basically bribed my way on at boarding in SDQ for $50 US cash for the last seat and once I paid for a round trip from Toronto in advance.

The seats are wider by a lot, feel like sort of living room furniture padding though not as much leg room as say business class on any airline or even AA's own coach legroom. That said, there is still a LOT more than in AT's own seemingly 5 inch per seat separation.

Drinks are free, food is more plentiful and sort of erzatz business class, the little headpone/sock pouch is free vs. $5 and you get on and off faster ( you also check in in Toronto a LOT faster - separate queue - not so in DR - an hour or so is adequate plus time for security).

My problem with them is the "fluidity of the schedules" as they do change a lot after you pay and often add a stopover in Puerto Plata or Punta Cana after you are booked and paid. While they quite almost guarantee a non-stop return from SDQ ( they service the plane on the stopovers with food etc., so SDQ departure stops nowhere other than home).

I had one flight start at leave Toronto 1 p.m. arrive SDQ at 5 p.m. finally end with leaving Toronto at 11 p.m. and arrived at SDQ at 6 a.m. the next day after a 90 minute stopover in Punta Cana at 3 a.m.

If you are OK with a bit of variance or are on a pakcage anyway it is a very low cost addition to go Club. In comparison, on AA to go Business Class takes a $800 US fare to $1700 US from Toronto. $900 US is a lot more than $170 CDN as I understand AT charges.

Also be aware that some of these flights are going Toronto to Buffalo first with a lot of off and on and such assocaited with arriving in USA first and then if they stop again in DR this could be a long, long day.

Finally always buy if you are in Ontario from a TICO registered travel agent to get the protection of the assurance fund. Good advice always.